Special relativity: train between two cities

In summary, the question is asking what time it is in Shelbyville when the clock strikes noon in Capital City for a high-speed train traveling between the two cities. The answer depends on the speed of the train and the direction of travel. If the train is moving towards Shelbyville, the time in Shelbyville will be after noon due to the train reaching the light pulse from Shelbyville first. However, if the train is stationary and the cities are moving, there will be a time offset between the two cities that is not affected by time dilation.
mace2

Homework Statement

A high-speed train is traveling from Capital City to Shelbyville. According to an observer at
rest on the ground, the clocks at the railroad stations in Capital City and Shelbyville both strike
noon at the same time. According to a passenger on the train, when the Capital City clock strikes noon, what time is it in Shelbyville?
a. noon
b. before noon
c. after noon
d. the answer depends on the speed of the train

Homework Equations

This is pre-Lorentz transformations.. so just basic stuff.

The Attempt at a Solution

I interpreted this problem in two ways. One is simply the answer is C (after noon) because the train is moving towards Shelbyville, i.e. it reaches the light pulse from Shelbyville first. So when the noon pulse from CC arrives, it's past noon for Shelbyville.

However, I was told that even if you correct for those differences it should be "after noon." My prof said this: "Important to think of the train as stationary, and the 2 cities as moving - time lead increases in the direction opposite to the direction of travel of the cities." Does that mean time dilation is direction dependent (i.e. if it's approaching or receding)?

Doing this, take the frame of the train. Then Shelbyville (S) is approaching at velocity v, and Capital City (CC) is retreating at velocity v. If it takes time "t1" for the noon light from S to reach the train, when the train is a distance d from the city, then: t1 * (c - v) = d1.

Similarly, t2 * (c - v) = d2 describes how long it takes for the light from Capital City to arrive, since the light pulse and velocity are in opposite directions.

So the difference in clock synchronization is t2 - t1 = d1/(c+v) - d2/(c-v). Not really sure if that shows anything though...

If you switch to the frame of the cities and account for time dilation and length contraction, then I think you get:

t2' - t1' = (d1/(c+v) - d2/(c-v)) * (1-v^2/c^2), which I think is the clock asynchronization in the frame of the cities. Not really sure if that is what the problem means or not though.

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Which light pulse hits the train when depends on the train position, and does not help.
mace2 said:
Does that mean time dilation is direction dependent (i.e. if it's approaching or receding)?
Not time dilation (which is a constant factor), but an additional position-dependent but time-independent offset.

Related to Special relativity: train between two cities

1. What is special relativity?

Special relativity is a theory developed by Albert Einstein in 1905 that explains how objects move at high speeds and how time and space are affected by this motion.

2. How does special relativity apply to a train between two cities?

In the context of a train between two cities, special relativity explains how time and space are perceived differently by observers on the train compared to observers on the ground. This is due to the train's high speed and the effects of time dilation and length contraction.

3. What is time dilation in special relativity?

Time dilation is the phenomenon in which time appears to pass slower for objects that are moving at high speeds. This is a consequence of special relativity and is caused by the stretching of space-time.

4. How does length contraction work in special relativity?

Length contraction, also known as Lorentz contraction, is the phenomenon in which objects appear shorter in the direction of their motion when traveling at high speeds. This is a result of the distortion of space-time caused by the object's velocity.

5. Can special relativity be applied to everyday situations?

Yes, special relativity has been proven to accurately describe the behavior of objects in everyday situations, not just at high speeds. For example, the global positioning system (GPS) relies on the principles of special relativity to function properly.