Specific Heat Capacity of a cylinder in boiling water

In summary, the metal gains 530 Joules of heat from the boiling water. The specific heat capacity of the metal is 0.0866 cal/g-C.
DavisonH

Homework Statement

Finding the specific heat capacity of an unknown metal.

A cylinder was placed into boiling water, originally at 24.2 C. The heat transferred from the metal, and the water then was 29.5 C.

Original Temperature-24.2 C
Temperature after the metal has been placed into the water.-29.5 C

m=mass of water (100 g)
C=Specific Heat of Water (1 C)
deltaT=Change of Temperature in water=5.3 (29.5-24.2)

Metal

M=Mass of metal (86.79 g)
deltaT=? (I think it is 5.3, equivalent to the change of temperature in the water)
C=?

I am not entirely sure what I am doing wrong. I thought that the heat gained by the water is equivalent to the heat lost by the metal, therefore the change

Homework Equations

Q=mCdeltaT

Q/m*deltaT=c

The Attempt at a Solution

First I found the heat gained by the water by using the formula Q=mCdeltaT.

Where
m=mass of water (100 g)
C=Specific Heat of Water (1 C)
deltaT=Change of Temperature in water=5.3 (29.5-24.2)

Q=100x1x5.3

Therefore Q=530

Next, I used the Q to calculate the specific heat capacity of the unknown metal.

Q=mCdeltaT, with the variables changed to Q/m*deltaT=c
Where
Q=Heat Gained by Water/Lost by metal (530)
m=Mass of metal (86.79 g)
deltaT=This is what I am unsure about. Would the heat lost by the metal be equivalent to the heat gained by the water? Which would equal to 5.3 C.

If I calculate using that assumption for Delta T the answer equals 1.15 c/ g cal which is quite high for the specific heat capacity of a metal.

Was my process correct?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to Physics Forums :smile:

Think about this: what is the initial temperature of the boiling water?

Thanks!

The initial temperature of the boiling water is 98 C.

Then I think it would go like this

(86.79) C (100 C - 29.5C) = (100g) (1 cal/g-C)(5.3C)

(86.79) (70.5C) C = 530

6118.7 C = 530

C = 0.0866 cal/g-C

Getting there, but there are still some problems.

DavisonH said:
Thanks!

The initial temperature of the boiling water is 98 C.
Well, you're close, but ... hey, come on, what temperature does water boil at? :wink:

Then I think it would go like this

Hmmm. Okay, one side of that equation refers to the water, and the other side of the equation refers to the metal. Which is which?

The boiling point of water is 100 C, but the water measured in the lab as at 98 C.

The left side is the metal, the right the water.

DavisonH said:
The boiling point of water is 100 C, but the water measured in the lab as at 98 C.
Understood, thanks for clarifying.

DavisonH said:
The left side is the metal, the right the water.
The metal does not go from 100C to 29.5C. The temperature change of the water is not 5.3C, that is ΔT for the metal.
Fix those temperatures, then you should have it ... and remember, the water starts out at 98C.

Related to Specific Heat Capacity of a cylinder in boiling water

1. What is specific heat capacity?

Specific heat capacity is a measure of the amount of heat energy required to raise the temperature of a substance by 1 degree Celsius (or Kelvin). It is often denoted by the symbol "C" and is measured in units of joules per gram per degree Celsius (J/g°C).

2. How is specific heat capacity different for different substances?

Each substance has its own unique specific heat capacity, which is determined by the molecular structure and composition of the substance. Substances with stronger intermolecular forces and/or higher molecular weights tend to have higher specific heat capacities.

3. How is specific heat capacity measured?

Specific heat capacity can be measured experimentally by heating a known mass of a substance to a certain temperature and then measuring the amount of heat energy required to raise its temperature by 1 degree Celsius. This is typically done using a calorimeter and can also be calculated using the formula Q = mCΔT, where Q is the heat energy, m is the mass, C is the specific heat capacity, and ΔT is the change in temperature.

4. Why is specific heat capacity important?

Specific heat capacity is important because it helps us understand how different substances respond to changes in temperature. It also plays a crucial role in many industrial and scientific processes, such as cooking, heating and cooling systems, and materials testing.

5. How does specific heat capacity relate to boiling water?

The specific heat capacity of water is relatively high compared to other substances, which means it requires a significant amount of heat energy to raise its temperature. This is why it takes longer for water to reach its boiling point compared to other liquids. Once water reaches its boiling point, the specific heat capacity becomes irrelevant as all the heat energy is used to convert the liquid into gas.