Specific heat capacity of a mystery metal

In summary, the speaker found the average specific heat of a metal to be 200 through an experiment, but is having trouble identifying it. They have checked multiple websites with no success and are seeking suggestions. They are also asked about the experimental error and reminded that a perfect match may not be possible due to potential errors in the experiment.
karin88
i found the average specific heat of a metal through an experiment it is 200. my only problem now is identifying it. i have tried many website but can't find anything useful please make some suggestions

Physics news on Phys.org
You do not mention the units of the specific heat that you found. Perhaps your inability to find a match has to do with your use of unconventional units. I trust that you have checked your calculations and assumptions more than once.

karin88 said:
i found the average specific heat of a metal through an experiment it is 200. my only problem now is identifying it. i have tried many website but can't find anything useful please make some suggestions

What's the experimental error on that value? If you're looking for a perfect match, you won't find one because the error in these types of experiments can be quite large.

Related to Specific heat capacity of a mystery metal

1. What is specific heat capacity?

Specific heat capacity is the amount of heat energy required to raise the temperature of one gram of a substance by one degree Celsius.

2. How is specific heat capacity measured?

Specific heat capacity is measured by conducting experiments in which heat energy is added to a known mass of a substance and the resulting change in temperature is recorded.

3. Why is specific heat capacity important?

Specific heat capacity is important because it helps us understand how much energy is needed to raise the temperature of a substance. It also helps in predicting temperature changes in various systems.

4. How is the specific heat capacity of a mystery metal determined?

The specific heat capacity of a mystery metal can be determined by conducting an experiment in which heat energy is added to a known mass of the metal and the resulting change in temperature is recorded. This data can then be used to calculate the specific heat capacity using the formula Q = m x c x ΔT, where Q is the heat energy, m is the mass, c is the specific heat capacity, and ΔT is the change in temperature.

5. Can specific heat capacity vary for a single substance?

Yes, the specific heat capacity of a substance can vary depending on factors such as temperature, pressure, and phase changes. Therefore, it is important to specify the conditions under which the specific heat capacity was measured.