Spectral Analysis of Gas Atoms: Temperature Calculation

In summary, the conversation discusses the emission of light by a gas of atoms in a box, which can be observed through a spectroscope. The frequency of the emitted light is affected by the Doppler effect and can be calculated using the equation v=vo(1+vx/c). The intensity distribution of the light measured in the spectroscope can be calculated using the formula I(Δ) = Io cos(Ko Δ) exp (-1/2 (σΔ)²). The temperature of the gas can be determined using the equation T=σ²*m*c²/(Ko²*k), where k=1/lambda and Ko=2pi*vo=2pic/lambda. Overall, the conversation focuses on calculating the
Dassinia
Hello

Homework Statement

A gas of atoms, each of mass m, is maintained in a box at temperature T. The atoms emit
light which passes (in the x-direction) through a window in the box and can be observed
as a spectral line in a spectroscope. A stationary atom would emit light at the sharply
de¯ned frequency vo. But because of the Doppler effect the frequency of the light emitted
from an atom with horizontal velocity vx is not simply vo but rather
v=vo(1+vx/c)

Calculate the relative intensity distribution I(Δ) of the light measured in the spectroscope.

The spectrum of a gas atom elitting at 638, nm follows a gauss distribution with σ=1.5 GHz
What is the gas temperature ?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

So we have
G(K)=Go exp(-(K-Ko)²/(2σ²))
Go a constant and σ=Ko*√(k*T/(mc²))
So I have to calculate
I(Δ) = 1/2 ∫ Go exp(-(K-Ko)²/(2σ²)) * cos(KΔ) dK from 0 to infinity
The result is given and we're supposed to find that
I(Δ) = Io cos(Ko Δ) exp (-1/2 (σΔ)²)
I tried integration by parts but I can't get to the result ..

b/ T=σ²*m*c²/(Ko²*k)
k=1/lambda and Ko=2pi*vo=2pic/lambda
Replacing we obtain the temperature in fuction of the mass

tHANKS

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Well I think it is a general integral, you may be able to find it in a math handbook. I don't have mine at hand, but you can always try solving it at wolframalpha.com to see, what it gives.

Also you don't need to solve any integral, if it is something with infinity, you can often find it in a handbook, which will be sufficient for most cases (unless you are a math student, ha ha).

Also what you need to integrate looks like a Gaussian function to me! So it's definitely somewhere to be found!

Last edited:
What is Δ in this problem?

Related to Spectral Analysis of Gas Atoms: Temperature Calculation

1. What is spectral analysis of gas atoms?

Spectral analysis of gas atoms is a scientific technique used to study the properties and behavior of gas atoms by analyzing the wavelengths of light emitted or absorbed by the atoms. This allows scientists to determine the composition, temperature, and other characteristics of the gas.

2. How is temperature calculated using spectral analysis of gas atoms?

Temperature can be calculated using spectral analysis of gas atoms by studying the emission or absorption lines in the spectrum of the gas. Each element has a unique set of emission or absorption lines, and the intensity of these lines can be used to determine the temperature of the gas.

3. What instruments are used for spectral analysis of gas atoms?

The most common instruments used for spectral analysis of gas atoms are spectroscopes and spectrometers. These instruments are designed to separate and analyze the wavelengths of light emitted or absorbed by the gas atoms.

4. What are the applications of spectral analysis of gas atoms?

Spectral analysis of gas atoms has many applications in various scientific fields, including astronomy, chemistry, and physics. It is used to study the composition of stars and other celestial objects, analyze the chemical composition of gases in the atmosphere, and understand the behavior of atoms in different environments.

5. What are the limitations of using spectral analysis of gas atoms for temperature calculation?

One limitation of using spectral analysis of gas atoms for temperature calculation is that it is only accurate for gases in thermal equilibrium. If the gas is not in thermal equilibrium, the temperature calculation may not be reliable. Additionally, the accuracy of the temperature calculation may be affected by factors such as the resolution of the instrument and the presence of other elements in the gas.