Spectrophotometry: Iron in Vitamin tablets and Absorbance

In summary, the experiment was to calculate the molarity of Fe(o-phenanthroline) in each solution and find the average molar absorptivity (ε in Beer's law) from the four absorbances. The data showed that there was a linear relationship between Fe concentration and absorbance, and that the molarity could be calculated by multiplying the concentration by the absorbance. Hydroquinone is an oxygen reactive species as is Fe+2. Not sure if the complexed Fe+2 ion is somewhat more stable to air.
MitsuShai
This is the experiment that I did in class, please read the whole thing before posting:
http://www.chem.uic.edu/fetzer/chem222/Exp_19.pdf

How do I calculate the molarity of Fe(o-phenanthroline) in each solution?

So I was thinking of doing this:
According to the pdf there are 2.5 grams of o-phenanthroline dissolved in 100 mL of ethanol and 900 mL of water was added, but I don't know the moles of o-phenantroline.

For the standard Fe: .04 mg/mL, I can find the mg of Fe of each solution
.04 x 10 ml= .4mg
5mL= .2 mg
2 mL= .08 mg
1 mL= .04 mg
and from the periodic table table we can find the moles of Fe
So I'm wondering if I can find the molarity of Fe(o-phenanthroline) from the absorbance because I don't see how else to find it.

Here's my data:
Micrograms of Fe Standard (mg)

Background Corrected Average ABS (A)

Physics news on Phys.org
You can ignore concentration of phenantroline assuming complex stability constant is so high all iron is complexed.

The principle is that you can as Borek said, ignore the concentration of the ligand, but you want to look for a linear relationship between Fe concentration and absorbance.

Borek said:
You can ignore concentration of phenantroline assuming complex stability constant is so high all iron is complexed.

Are you sure because on step 8 of the PDF it says, "Calculate the molarity of
Fe(o-phenanthroline) in each solution and find the average molar absorptivity (ε in Beer's
law) from the four absorbances."

That just supports what I said - calculate concentration of complex assuming it equals concentration of iron.

Borek said:
That just supports what I said - calculate concentration of complex assuming it equals concentration of iron.

ok so for the 10mL of iron I do this:

M1V1=M2V2
(10mL)(.04mg/mL)=M2(100mL)
= .004mg/mL
is that right?
and I don't have to worry about the 3.00 mL of o-phenanthroline solution, right?

Looks like.

Borek said:
Looks like.

Should I put the molarity in mg/L or should I convert to moles/L or can I convert to moles/L?

4 mg/L * (1mole/ 55847 mg)= 7.16 E -5 moles/L, I'm not sure if doing this is a good idea

to find the average molar absorptivity I was told to ignore the length the light travels, so it's just A/c= e
when doing the molarity should I leave it in mg/L or moles/L to calculate the molar absorptivity?

something in this experiment is sensitive to air, but I forgot which, does anyone know?

Hydroquinone is an oxygen reactive species as is Fe+2. Not sure if the complexed Fe+2 ion is somewhat more stable to air.

Related to Spectrophotometry: Iron in Vitamin tablets and Absorbance

What is spectrophotometry?

Spectrophotometry is a technique used in analytical chemistry to measure the amount of light absorbed by a substance at different wavelengths. It is commonly used to identify and quantify the concentration of a specific substance in a sample.

Why is spectrophotometry used to measure iron in vitamin tablets?

Iron is a vital mineral that is important for various biological processes in the body. Vitamin tablets often contain iron as a supplement, and it is important to accurately measure the amount of iron present in these tablets to ensure proper dosing and effectiveness. Spectrophotometry is a precise and reliable method for determining the concentration of iron in vitamin tablets.

How does spectrophotometry measure the amount of iron in vitamin tablets?

Spectrophotometry measures the amount of light absorbed by a sample at a specific wavelength. In the case of iron in vitamin tablets, a reagent is added to the tablet which reacts with the iron and produces a color. The intensity of this color is then measured by a spectrophotometer, and the concentration of iron can be calculated based on the amount of light absorbed.

What is absorbance in spectrophotometry?

Absorbance, also known as optical density, is a measure of the amount of light absorbed by a sample. It is calculated by the logarithm of the ratio of the intensity of the incident light to the intensity of the transmitted light through the sample. In spectrophotometry, absorbance is used to determine the concentration of a substance in a sample.

How accurate is spectrophotometry in measuring iron in vitamin tablets?

Spectrophotometry is a highly accurate and precise method for measuring the concentration of iron in vitamin tablets. However, the accuracy of the results depends on several factors such as the quality of the reagents used, the calibration of the spectrophotometer, and proper sample preparation. It is important to follow strict protocols and use high-quality materials to ensure accurate and reliable results.