Spectroscopy: What Do I See When I Combine Red & Green Beams?

In summary: However, because humans have three color sensor systems, they can also see other colors when exposed to monochromatic light. This is because the monochromatic light excites both the red and green sensors, or monochromatic red+green causes the same output. However, the brain does not know the difference and they both appear as yellow.
MaWM
I have two monochromatic beams, one green, one red. I combine the beams together and get a single yellow beam. I pass the yellow beam through a spectroscope and determine its spectrum. What do I see?

A red band and a green band? A yellow band?

I suspect that what I'd see is: A green band, a red band, a yellow band, a very low frequency band that is a carrier for the yellow, and other weaker bands that represent higher harmonics of the red+green combination. Can anyone confirm this?

By the way, the low frequency carrier that I am suspecting will appear comes from the sum-to-product trig identity. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_trigonometric_identities" The sum of the green and red cause a product of a yellow and a low frequency envelope.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
If your spectroscope is a linear system (which it should be!) then you will just get two lines, red and green.

The only way you can get anything else is if something in the system has a nonlinear response. For a nonlinear system, an input (A sin w1 t + B sin w2 t) can produce output including terms like (C sin w1 t + D sin w2 t)^2.

That squared term contains a term like E sin w1t sin w2t which (using your trig identity) is equivalent to two waves at new frequencies, F sin (w1+w2)t + G sin (w1-w2)t

Your eyes and brain are a nonlinear system for analysing light waves. That's why you see "red+green" as yellow, and you also see monochromatic yellow light as yellow.

A good spectroscope should be almost perfectly linear, so the constants C D E F and G will be very small compared with A and B and you will get just two lines in the spectrum, red and green.

Alephzero is correct, you need a medium with a nonlinear response to generate new frequencies.

http://www.rp-photonics.com/sum__and_difference_frequency_generation.html

Claude.

So, a good spectroscope essentially performs a Fourier Transform on the incoming signal. And, because of the uniqueness of the Fourier Transform, a linear combination of red and green will never give anything besides red and green?

But its our eye that somehow aliases the signal..

My biology knowledge is pretty basic but AFAIK human eyes have three color sensor systems (for red green and blue) which have a fairly broad bandwith. If monochromatic yellow light excites both the red and green sensors, or monochromatic red+green causes the same output, the brain doesn't know the difference and they both "look the same".

Correct, a good spectroscope essentially does an FFT.

Related to Spectroscopy: What Do I See When I Combine Red & Green Beams?

1. What is spectroscopy?

Spectroscopy is the study of the interaction between matter and electromagnetic radiation. It involves using various techniques to measure the intensity and wavelength of light that is emitted, absorbed, or scattered by a sample.

2. How does spectroscopy work?

Spectroscopy works by passing a beam of light through a sample and measuring the amount of light that is absorbed or emitted at different wavelengths. The resulting spectrum can then be used to identify the chemical composition, structure, and other properties of the sample.

3. What do red and green beams represent in spectroscopy?

In spectroscopy, red and green beams represent different wavelengths of light. Red light has a longer wavelength and lower energy, while green light has a shorter wavelength and higher energy. By combining these beams, we can observe how the sample interacts with different wavelengths of light.

4. What information can we obtain by combining red and green beams in spectroscopy?

Combining red and green beams allows us to observe how the sample interacts with both low and high energy light. This can provide information about the electronic and molecular structures of the sample, as well as its physical and chemical properties.

5. How is spectroscopy used in scientific research?

Spectroscopy is used in a wide range of scientific research fields, including chemistry, physics, biology, and astronomy. It is a valuable tool for identifying and characterizing substances, studying the behavior of molecules and atoms, and studying the properties of various materials and compounds.