Spectrum of a Gas from Thermal Motion

In summary, the conversation is about emission spectra from various substances and whether charges from atomic collisions in a monatomic gas can also give off radiation. It is clarified that while the atoms contain charges, they are overall neutral and the resulting cancellation of fields means that the gas spectrum would only contain discrete emission lines with no continuum components.
Alexander83
Hi there,
I'm trying to clear up some misconceptions I have about emission spectra from various substances. Most of the discussion about gases focusses on the line emission spectra from a hot, low density gas due to electron shell transitions. But I also know that any charges that are made to accelerate should also give off radiation.

In the simple case of a sample of a monatomic gas, the gas molecules constantly undergo atomic collisions and change directions and would therefore experience intermittent acceleration. Since the atoms themselves contain charges, shouldn't this acceleration cause the gas to give off radiation? If so what would the nature of this radiation be - does it have a formal name and would it have a continuum of frequencies? Is the reason that it is seldom dis

Science news on Phys.org
Alexander83 said:
Since the atoms themselves contain charges, shouldn't this acceleration cause the gas to give off radiation?
While the atoms contain charges, they are overall neutral. Both the positive and negative charges accelerate in the collisions, essentially resulting in a cancellation of the fields.

Thanks for your reply, Orodruin. So if I understand it, the gas spectrum would then contain *just* discrete emission lines with no continuum components at all? For some reason I had it in my mind that the gas was continuously cooling by emitting radiation, but if I understand what you're saying there should only ever be the line spectrum coming presumably from collisionally-induced excitation of electrons in the atoms?

Alex.

FAQ: Spectrum of a Gas from Thermal Motion

What is the spectrum of a gas from thermal motion?

The spectrum of a gas from thermal motion is a collection of electromagnetic radiation emitted by a gas as a result of its molecules moving and colliding with each other. It is also known as thermal emission spectra or blackbody radiation.

How is the spectrum of a gas from thermal motion related to temperature?

The spectrum of a gas from thermal motion is directly related to the temperature of the gas. As the temperature of the gas increases, the intensity of the emitted radiation also increases, and the spectrum shifts towards shorter wavelengths.

What are the different types of spectra that can be observed from a gas?

The three main types of spectra that can be observed from a gas are continuous, emission, and absorption spectra. A continuous spectrum is a smooth, uninterrupted range of wavelengths, while an emission spectrum consists of bright lines at specific wavelengths, and an absorption spectrum has dark lines at specific wavelengths.

How is the spectrum of a gas from thermal motion used in astronomy?

The spectrum of a gas from thermal motion is used in astronomy to study the composition, temperature, and motion of celestial objects. By analyzing the wavelengths and intensities of the emitted radiation, scientists can determine the chemical elements present in a gas and its physical properties.

Can the spectrum of a gas from thermal motion be used to identify elements?

Yes, the spectrum of a gas from thermal motion can be used to identify elements. Each element has a unique set of spectral lines, which can be compared to known spectra to determine the composition of a gas. This technique, known as spectroscopy, is widely used in various fields of science, including astronomy, chemistry, and physics.