Speed and Normal Force of a Bead on a Loop-the-Loop

In summary: This is a coaster at an amusement park. The loop is not always a perfect circle. There is a part of the track where the loop is not a perfect circle. This is what the question is about.
beyondlight
A bead slides without friction around a loop-the-loop. The bead is released from rest at h=3,5R.

a) What is the speed at point A?

b) How large is the normal force at point A if its mass is m=5g?-------------------------------------------------------

My question for:

a) Do we consider the loop to have mass m=0 and the bead on it m=5g?

b) If there is no friction at all, are we sure that the loop is not rotating?

Fig: http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=dr9tv&s=7

Physics news on Phys.org
The loop would presumably fixed, so it's mass shouldn't affect your calculations; use energy conservation to find the velocity at the top point. Same goes for friction. If there were any friction, the velocity of the bead at the top would be different.

Pi-Bond said:
The loop would presumably fixed, so it's mass shouldn't affect your calculations; use energy conservation to find the velocity at the top point. Same goes for friction. If there were any friction, the velocity of the bead at the top would be different.

I assumed that the loop was fixed and used energy conservations. And i got the correct result.

But the book reveals the answer and shows that the normal force is calculated as:

N+mg=(v^2/R)*m

But this means that the loop is rotating at the speed calculated in a.

No, what the book is doing is writing the equation for the centripetal force, which keeps the bead moving in a circle. The equation is for the forces on the bead, not the loop.

But R is the radius of the loop. Which implies that the loop is in rotation?

no the loop is just to fix bead at a constant R. If there is no friction the loop does not affect the bead and if the loop has 0 mass it has no classical force

The R refers to the radius with which the bead is executing circular motion. The formula [itex]\frac{mv^{2}}{R}[/itex] applies to circular motion of an object, and not what structure it is executing it on.

Ok let's put this clear.

The loop has speed v. And is not rotating. So the bead has the same speed and direction as the centre of the loop?

How can there be centripetalacceleration in this case?

The centripetal acceleration is the acceleration needed to change the direction of the bead. It is given by [itex]\frac{v^{2}}{R}[/itex] The direction of the bead's acceleration is radially inward to the circle's centre while the velocity is tangential to the circle at the point of contact.

Okay, i think i got it now. Thanx!

beyondlight said:
A bead slides without friction around a loop-the-loop.

A "loop-the-loop" is a common part of many modern Rollercoasters at amusement parks [though often the loop is not a perfect circle there].

Also it is part of the track in some model car kits [Fast-Wheels?]

I think you concentrated on the circular loop in the diagram, not noticing the "loop-the-loop" description in the thread of the question

FAQ: Speed and Normal Force of a Bead on a Loop-the-Loop

1. How does the speed of a bead on a loop-the-loop affect the normal force?

The speed of the bead on a loop-the-loop does not directly affect the normal force. However, a higher speed will result in a larger centrifugal force, which will in turn require a larger normal force to keep the bead on the track.

2. What is the relationship between speed and normal force on a loop-the-loop?

The relationship between speed and normal force on a loop-the-loop is indirect. As the speed increases, the centrifugal force also increases, requiring a larger normal force to balance it.

3. Can the normal force ever be greater than the weight of the bead?

Yes, the normal force can be greater than the weight of the bead on a loop-the-loop. This occurs when the bead is moving at a high enough speed to create a larger centrifugal force than the force of gravity.

4. How does the radius of the loop-the-loop affect the normal force?

The radius of the loop-the-loop has a direct impact on the normal force. A smaller radius will require a larger normal force to keep the bead on the track, while a larger radius will require a smaller normal force.

5. What other factors besides speed and radius can affect the normal force on a loop-the-loop?

Other factors that can affect the normal force on a loop-the-loop include the mass of the bead, the angle of the track, and any friction present between the bead and the track.