Speed of a bullet (circular motion problem).

In summary: The time between strikes is "t".In summary, the formula for the speed of the bullet, v, passing through two cardboard disks attached at a distance D apart and rotating with a period T, can be derived by using the equation v = D/t, where t is the time taken to get from one disk to the next. The time t is related to T, the time for one full rotation of the disks. The angle between the positions of the two holes, theta, is also a key factor in determining the speed of the bullet. By using the equation theta = s/r (where s is the arc length and r is the radius), and the formula for the speed of the disks, v = (2πr
-Dragoon-

Homework Statement

A bullet is shot through two cardboard disks attached a distance D apart to a shaft turning with a rotational period T, as shown.

Derive a formula for the bullet speed v in terms of D, T, and a measured angle theta between the position of the hole in the first disk and that of the hole in the second. If required, use pi, not its numeric equivalent. Both of the holes lie at the same radial distance from the shaft. theta measures the angular displacement between the two holes; for instance, [itex]\theta = 0[/itex] means that the holes are in a line and [itex]\theta=\pi[/itex] means that when one hole is up, the other is down. Assume that the bullet must travel through the set of disks within a single revolution.

Homework Equations

[itex]\theta(radians) = \frac{s}{r}[/itex]
[itex]v = \frac{2{\pi}r}{T}[/itex]
where s is the arc length, r is the radius, and T is the period.

The Attempt at a Solution

I really do not know how to approach this problem. Nothing on circular motion has been covered in lecture and all I know about it is what I have read about it, which isn't much. Ideally, I assume the bullet will travel successfully through the disks in one revolution if both holes have the largest displacement (which would be if one is at its highest point and the other at its lowest, implying [itex]\theta = \pi[/itex].

Then:
[itex]\theta = \pi[/itex]
[itex]\pi = \frac{s}{r} => r = \frac{\pi}{s}[/itex]
Now, to substitute this into equation 2:
[itex] v = \frac{2{\pi}r}{T} => \frac{2{\pi}(\frac{s}{{\pi}})}{T} => \frac{2s}{T}[/itex]

But I can't go any further than that, and in fact, I am quite doubtful that I am even on the correct path to solving this problem thus far. Any help? Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
Retribution said:

Homework Statement

A bullet is shot through two cardboard disks attached a distance D apart to a shaft turning with a rotational period T, as shown.

Derive a formula for the bullet speed v in terms of D, T, and a measured angle theta between the position of the hole in the first disk and that of the hole in the second. If required, use pi, not its numeric equivalent. Both of the holes lie at the same radial distance from the shaft. theta measures the angular displacement between the two holes; for instance, [itex]\theta = 0[/itex] means that the holes are in a line and [itex]\theta=\pi[/itex] means that when one hole is up, the other is down. Assume that the bullet must travel through the set of disks within a single revolution.

Homework Equations

[itex]v = \frac{2{\pi}r}{T}[/itex]
where s is the arc length, r is the radius, and T is the period.

The Attempt at a Solution

I really do not know how to approach this problem. Nothing on circular motion has been covered in lecture and all I know about it is what I have read about it, which isn't much. Ideally, I assume the bullet will travel successfully through the disks in one revolution if both holes have the largest displacement (which would be if one is at its highest point and the other at its lowest, implying [itex]\theta = \pi[/itex].

Then:
[itex]\theta = \pi[/itex]
[itex]\pi = \frac{s}{r} => r = \frac{\pi}{s}[/itex]
Now, to substitute this into equation 2:
[itex] v = \frac{2{\pi}r}{T} => \frac{2{\pi}(\frac{s}{{\pi}})}{T} => \frac{2s}{T}[/itex]

But I can't go any further than that, and in fact, I am quite doubtful that I am even on the correct path to solving this problem thus far. Any help? Thanks in advance.

The speed of the bullet is given by D/t where t is the time taken to get from one card to the next.
The time will be related to T, the time to make a full rotation.

If the holes are opposite each other, the shaft has completed half a rotation while the bullet traveled from card to card - t = T/2.

The angle theta will tell you what fraction of a rotation that the shaft made.

PeterO said:
The speed of the bullet is given by D/t where t is the time taken to get from one card to the next.
The time will be related to T, the time to make a full rotation.

If the holes are opposite each other, the shaft has completed half a rotation while the bullet traveled from card to card - t = T/2.

The angle theta will tell you what fraction of a rotation that the shaft made.

How will T be related to t? I've yet to see an equation where the two variables have been expressed in an equation as separate quantities...

So, the equations I was using, they don't apply at all to this problem?

Retribution said:
How will T be related to t? I've yet to see an equation where the two variables have been expressed in an equation as separate quantities...

So, the equations I was using, they don't apply at all to this problem?

I feel your equations are too involved.

Can you solve this:
A merry-go-Round at a fair rotates once every 12 seconds. A nearby small child fires a water pistol at the merry go round, leaving two spray marks.
The angular separation of the two spray marks is 90 degrees - one quarter circle.
What was the time interval between the two squirts.

PeterO said:
I feel your equations are too involved.

Can you solve this:
A merry-go-Round at a fair rotates once every 12 seconds. A nearby small child fires a water pistol at the merry go round, leaving two spray marks.
The angular separation of the two spray marks is 90 degrees - one quarter circle.
What was the time interval between the two squirts.

The time interval between them would be t = 12/4 = 3 seconds.

Retribution said:
The time interval between them would be t = 12/4 = 3 seconds.

Perfect.

Now these two discs parallel that sort of question. It is one bullet passing through, first, one disc, then continuing on to the next, rather than two sprays on the one merry-go-round, but the angular difference property still exists.

The shaft turns in time T , rather than 12 seconds

The angle traveled between strikes is "Theta" rather than 1/4 turn.
and during the time interval, the bullet travels from one disc to the next - a distance D.

PeterO said:
Perfect.

Now these two discs parallel that sort of question. It is one bullet passing through, first, one disc, then continuing on to the next, rather than two sprays on the one merry-go-round, but the angular difference property still exists.

The shaft turns in time T , rather than 12 seconds

The angle traveled between strikes is "Theta" rather than 1/4 turn.
and during the time interval, the bullet travels from one disc to the next - a distance D.

So, then the speed of the bullet would then be:
[itex]v = \frac{2D{\theta}}{T}[/itex]

But then doesn't theta equal pi?

Retribution said:
So, then the speed of the bullet would then be:
[itex]v = \frac{2D{\theta}}{T}[/itex]

But then doesn't theta equal pi?

No. It is possible that theta = 17.4 degrees, or the radian equivalent. [I just chose 17.4 as an unusual number]

2pi or360degrees comes in when you work out what fraction of a full turn this represents.

Bullets travel pretty fast, so unless this shaft is spinning quite fast and/or is very long, the two holes will be close to lining up - perhaps only a degree or two off-set.

PeterO said:
No. It is possible that theta = 17.4 degrees, or the radian equivalent. [I just chose 17.4 as an unusual number]

2pi or360degrees comes in when you work out what fraction of a full turn this represents.

Bullets travel pretty fast, so unless this shaft is spinning quite fast and/or is very long, the two holes will be close to lining up - perhaps only a degree or two off-set.
Aside from the mistake from theta, the equation is correct thus far?

Converting 17.4 to a radian value would yield a long numerical answer, but I assumed the solution would only composed primarily of variables and constants.

I apologize if explaining this takes much time. I've never seen a question like this in the "suggested problems" and my book just barely touched on circular motion. Thanks for all the help thus far, though.

Retribution said:
Aside from the mistake from theta, the equation is correct thus far?

Converting 17.4 to a radian value would yield a long numerical answer, but I assumed the solution would only composed primarily of variables and constants.

I apologize if explaining this takes much time. I've never seen a question like this in the "suggested problems" and my book just barely touched on circular motion. Thanks for all the help thus far, though.

That is correct, your answer will be full of symbols, and perhaps a 2 for 2pi.

Wrong...
Almost everything
just wrong...
just look at that equation
v=2Dθ/T
D is in meters, θ is in radians, T is in seconds
units on left side is meters/seconds
units on right side is meters*radians/seconds

time for one revolution = T, actual time that the cardboard wheels rotated t
full revolution = 2pi, actual rotation = θ
the relationship: t/T = θ/(2pi)
v = D/t
last step: algebra :)

Related to Speed of a bullet (circular motion problem).

1. What factors affect the speed of a bullet in circular motion?

The speed of a bullet in circular motion is affected by the velocity of the bullet, the radius of the circular path, and any external forces acting on the bullet such as air resistance or friction.

2. How is the speed of a bullet in circular motion calculated?

The speed of a bullet in circular motion can be calculated using the formula v = ωr, where v is the speed of the bullet, ω is the angular velocity, and r is the radius of the circular path.

3. What is the relationship between the speed of a bullet and its angular velocity?

The speed of a bullet and its angular velocity are directly proportional. This means that as the angular velocity increases, the speed of the bullet also increases, and vice versa.

4. Can the speed of a bullet in circular motion ever be constant?

No, the speed of a bullet in circular motion is constantly changing due to the changing direction of its velocity. However, the magnitude of the speed can remain constant if the angular velocity remains constant.

5. How does the mass of a bullet affect its speed in circular motion?

The mass of a bullet does not directly affect its speed in circular motion. However, a heavier bullet may require a larger angular velocity to maintain the same speed as a lighter bullet due to inertia.