Speed of a point on a wheel as a function of θ

In summary, the speed of the point P on the edge of the wheel is not constant, but the acceleration is in the direction of the center of the wheel.
bobred

Homework Statement

A point P on a wheel of a bike radius R, P is a distance r from the axle.
The speed of the bike is v, what is the speed of the point P as a function of θ?

Homework Equations

[tex]x=R\theta - r \sin\theta[/tex]
[tex]y=R - \cos\theta[/tex]
[tex]\rho=\frac{r}{R}[/tex]
Distance traveled by the point in one revolution
[tex]D =R{\displaystyle \int_{0}}^{2\pi}\sqrt{\left(1+\rho^{2}\right)-2\rho\cos\theta}\,\textrm{d}\theta[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Speed is distance per unit time, but not sure where to begin as no function contains time.
Can I make
[tex]\theta=\omega t[/tex]? If so how can I solve the integral?
James

Physics news on Phys.org
Seems like an oddly worded question, to me. The speed of the rim is going to be the same all the way around, not dependent on some particular point, as specified by an angle. Of course, you haven't actually said what θ IS so maybe I'm misinterpreting the problem.

Oh ... wait ... I'm thinking of the speed relative to the AXLE. I guess the problem is to specify a point by an angle and then get the speed of that point relative to the ground, yes?

θ is the angle of rotation of the wheel.
I think you are right, as v is the speed of the bike itself.
James

Well, in any case, you're going to need a defined reference position for θ. Maybe you're supposed to take the axle as the XY origin and the X axis as zero degrees?

bobred said:

Homework Statement

The speed of the bike is v, what is the speed of the point P as a function of θ?

Homework Equations

The y-equation can't be right. Looks like you forgot ##r##.

Instead of ##R\theta##, try just writing ##vt##.
[tex]D =R{\displaystyle \int_{0}}^{2\pi}\sqrt{\left(1+\rho^{2}\right)-2\rho\cos\theta}\,\textrm{d}\theta[/tex]

Speed is distance per unit time, but not sure where to begin as no function contains time.
Can I make
James

Likes bobred
bobred said:

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

Where did you get these equations? Did you derive them or copy them from a book? Either way, what is your definition of ##\theta##? Also, as vela pointed out, the ##y## equation can't be correct.

What does that equation have to do with it?

Can I make
James

The problem asks for the rate of change with respect to ##\theta##. Once you have the position vector ##\vec P(\theta)## you want ##v(\theta) = |\vec P~'(\theta)|##.

Likes bobred
Hi, I missed the r from the expression for y

[tex]y=R-r\cos\theta[/tex]

The expressions came from the question sheet.
Thanks Vela,LCKurtz.

bobred said:
Hi, I missed the r from the expression for y

[tex]y=R-r\cos\theta[/tex]

The expressions came from the question sheet.
Thanks Vela,LCKurtz.

There are a couple of other things you might like to observe about this problem. Take the case when ##R=r##. Look at the speed of the point on the edge of the wheel when it touches the ground vs. when it is at the top of the wheel(whatever values of ##\theta## those are in your setup. You will see the speed isn't constant like it would be for just a spinning wheel. Yet the acceleration is of constant magnitude and directed towards the center in both cases.

Likes bobred
What I get is

[tex]v(\theta) = |\vec P~'(\theta)|=\sqrt{\left(\frac{dx}{d\theta}\right)^2+\left(\frac{dy}{d\theta}\right)^2}=\sqrt{(R-r\cos)^2+r^2\sin^2\theta}[/tex][tex]v(\theta) = R\sqrt{(1+\rho^2)-2\rho\cos\theta}[/tex]

Your expression for ##v(\theta)## has units of length. The speed of the particle is actually given by
$$v_P(\theta) = \left| \frac{d\vec{P}}{dt} \right| = \left| \frac{d\vec{P}}{d\theta}\frac{d\theta}{dt} \right|.$$ The factor of ##d\theta/dt## is where the information about the speed ##v## of the bicycle enters.

Likes bobred
Yes I see thanks, but how do I get [tex]d\theta/dt[/tex], or can't I with the given information?

I think I have it
[tex]d\theta/dt = \omega[/tex]

Which has units s-1.

Right. Now you just need to relate ##\omega## to ##v##.

Ok I think this is it

[tex]
v(\theta) = |\vec P~'(\theta)|=\sqrt{\omega\left(\frac{dx}{d\theta}\right)^2+\omega\left(\frac{dy}{d\theta}\right)^2}=\sqrt{\omega (R-r\cos)^2+\omega r^2\sin^2\theta}[/tex]

[tex]v(\theta) = \omega R\sqrt{(1+\rho^2)-2\rho\cos\theta}[/tex]

which has the units of speed.

Last edited:
Cannot seem to be able to edit the above post

[tex]
v(\theta) = |\vec P~'(\theta)|=\sqrt{\left(\frac{dx}{d\theta}\omega\right)^2+\left(\frac{dy}{d\theta}\omega\right)^2}=\sqrt{\omega^2 (R-r\cos)^2+\omega^2 r^2\sin^2\theta}
[/tex]

James

So if the speed of the bike is ##v##…

Then the speed of the point would be

[tex]v+v(\theta)[/tex]

bobred said:
Then the speed of the point would be

[tex]v+v(\theta)[/tex]
That's not right. In any case, you seemed to have missed my point. If I gave you numbers for ##R##, ##r##, and ##v##, and ##\theta##, could you give me a numerical answer for ##v(\theta)##? Until you get to that point, you're not done. In other words, your answer should only depend on those variables.

Yes, for [itex]r=0[/itex] the speed is [itex]\omega R[/itex] and independant of [itex]\theta[/itex] and for [itex]r=R[/itex], ([itex]\theta=0[/itex] is the point in contact with the ground) the speed is 0 for [itex]\theta=0[/itex] and [itex]v=2\omega R[/itex] for [itex]\theta=\pi[/itex].

Ok, so what's the speed of P if θ=π/4, R=0.5 m, r=0.2 m, and v=3 m/s?

Ok,so I need to consider the speed of the bike v aswell.

Hi
[tex]\omega=\frac{v}{r}[/tex]

With the values you supplied I get [tex]5.8 ms^{-1}[/tex]
James

Close. The angular speed of the wheel ##\omega## is independent of ##r##: every point goes around the axis at the same angular rate. A point 10 cm from the axis, for example, goes around once in the same time a point 20 cm from the axis goes around once.

Yes, so it should be
[tex]\omega=\frac{v}{R}[/tex]

Right.

Likes bobred
Big sigh, thank you for your help and patience.
James

FAQ: Speed of a point on a wheel as a function of θ

1. What is the equation for the speed of a point on a wheel as a function of θ?

The equation for the speed of a point on a wheel as a function of θ is v = ωr, where v is the linear speed, ω is the angular velocity, and r is the radius of the wheel.

2. How does the speed of a point on a wheel change as θ increases?

The speed of a point on a wheel increases as θ increases, because the linear speed is directly proportional to the angular velocity. This means that as the wheel rotates faster (higher ω), the point on the wheel moves faster (higher v).

3. Can the speed of a point on a wheel be negative?

Yes, the speed of a point on a wheel can be negative. This occurs when the wheel is rotating in the opposite direction of the point's motion. In this case, the linear speed is negative, indicating that the point is moving in the negative direction.

4. How does the radius of the wheel affect the speed of a point on the wheel?

The radius of the wheel directly affects the speed of a point on the wheel. As the radius increases, the linear speed also increases, because the point has to travel a greater distance in the same amount of time to complete one rotation.

5. Is the speed of a point on a wheel constant?

No, the speed of a point on a wheel is not constant. It varies as the wheel rotates, with the highest speed occurring at θ = 90 degrees, and the lowest speed occurring at θ = 0 or 180 degrees. This is because the linear speed is directly proportional to the angular velocity, which is not constant as the wheel rotates.

Back