Speed of Bullet: Solving for Velocity in Wood Block Collision

In summary, the bullet moves 5.0 cm across the table. The coefficient of kinetic friction for wood sliding on wood is 0.20.
kristibella
A 12 g bullet is fired into a 8.0 kg wood block that is at rest on a wood table. The block, with the bullet embedded, slides 5.0 cm across the table. The coefficient of kinetic friction for wood sliding on wood is 0.20.

What was the speed of the bullet? Relevant equations
My professor told us that we would need these equations:
(1/2)mv2 = mgx

mvi = (m1+m2)v2The attempt at a solution
v2 = 2(9.81)(0.20)(0.05)
v = 0.443

0.012vi = (8.0+0.012)(0.443)2
vi = 131 m/s

This seemed like a logical process and the answer seemed fairly reasonable (bullets move fast) however, this is not the right answer and I don't know what I am doing wrong.

Physics news on Phys.org
Do you understand what the equations you use are telling you?

You are basically using conservation of energy. Before the bullet hits the block, the block is at rest and the bullet has a kinetic energy [itex]E = 1/2 m_\text{bullet} v_\text{bullet}^2[/itex].
After the bullet hits the block, the bullet and the block start moving together. So they get some kinetic energy. How much (expressed in E)?
There acts a frictional force on the block (with bullet) which will bring it to a stop. How much energy will the bullet+block have when it has come to rest? What happened to the energy that is missing? Can you write down a formula for the work done by the frictional force?

Wow, I've never heard of a professor just giving out equations like that. I think you might have copied his/her second equation wrong. That equation looks like conservation of momentum for an inelastic collision, in which case you should not have a v squared.

In other words: there is a kinetic energy imparted into the block when the bullet collides with it. That kinetic energy is the kinetic energy of the new block-bullet system. Next the block moves a distance d until it reaches a stop. This means that friction does work on it over that distance d. Work is equal to change in kinetic energy. The initial kinetic energy is just the kinetic energy imparted to the block by the bullet while the final is zero because it comes to a stop.

That's a nice explanation NovaKing, but why on Earth did you revive a thread that's been dead for almost a year?

My friend needed help on the question and when he googled it he got this. I thought I would give an alternative explanation for anyone else in his class who also googled it. heh just helping I suppose...if I was right that is.

Related to Speed of Bullet: Solving for Velocity in Wood Block Collision

1. What is the equation for calculating the speed of a bullet?

The equation for calculating the speed of a bullet is: velocity = distance/time. This means that the velocity (in meters per second) is equal to the distance (in meters) traveled by the bullet divided by the time (in seconds) it takes to travel that distance.

2. How does the type of wood used in the block affect the speed of the bullet?

The type of wood used in the block can affect the speed of the bullet in several ways. Different types of wood have different densities, which can impact the amount of resistance the bullet experiences as it travels through the block. The hardness of the wood can also affect the bullet's speed as a harder wood may cause more friction and slow down the bullet more.

3. Can the angle at which the bullet hits the wood block affect its speed?

Yes, the angle at which the bullet hits the wood block can affect its speed. If the bullet hits the block at an angle, it will have to travel a longer distance through the block, which can slow it down. Additionally, if the bullet hits the block at a glancing angle, it may deflect off the block instead of penetrating it, resulting in a lower speed.

4. How does the weight of the bullet impact its speed in a wood block collision?

The weight of the bullet can impact its speed in a wood block collision in a few ways. A heavier bullet will have more momentum and therefore may be able to penetrate deeper into the block, resulting in a higher speed. However, a heavier bullet may also experience more resistance and deceleration as it travels through the block, resulting in a lower final speed.

5. How can the speed of a bullet in a wood block collision be measured?

The speed of a bullet in a wood block collision can be measured using a high-speed camera to capture the moment of impact and the distance the bullet travels through the block. This information can then be used to calculate the velocity using the equation mentioned in the first question. Another method is to use a ballistic pendulum, which can measure the bullet's momentum and therefore its speed. However, this method requires a more controlled and specialized setup.

Back