Speed of projectile after t seconds

In summary, a projectile is fired with an initial speed of 68 m/s at 37 degrees above horizontal on a flat firing range. The speed of the projectile 2.3 seconds after firing is 70.4 m/s and the direction is 15.1 degrees above horizontal. To determine the speed, you need to take the horizontal component of velocity, which is 68*cos(37). To determine the direction, you need to calculate tan^-1(Vy/Vx) using the vertical and horizontal components of velocity.
Vanessa23

Homework Statement

A projectile is fired with an initial speed of 68 m/s at 37 degrees above horizontal on a flat firing range. c) Determine speed of the projectile 2.3 seconds after firing. d) Determine direction of projectile 2.3 s after firing.

Homework Equations

c) Vox=Vx=68m/s
Vy=Voy*sin(theta)-gt
V=sqrt(Vx^2+Vy^2)

d) tan^-1(Vy/Vx)= theta

The Attempt at a Solution

I got that Vx=68m/s
Vy=68*sin(37)-(9.8*2.3)
Vy=18.38

V=sqrt(68^2+18.4^2)
V=70.4
but the velocity is not 70.4 what am I doing wrong??
Thanks for any help!
The second part I get theta= 15.1 degrees but I don't want to submit it because if the first part is wrong then this is probably not right either.

Physics news on Phys.org
Vanessa23 said:

Homework Statement

A projectile is fired with an initial speed of 68 m/s at 37 degrees above horizontal on a flat firing range. c) Determine speed of the projectile 2.3 seconds after firing. d) Determine direction of projectile 2.3 s after firing.

Homework Equations

c) Vox=Vx=68m/s
Vy=Voy*sin(theta)-gt
V=sqrt(Vx^2+Vy^2)

d) tan^-1(Vy/Vx)= theta

The Attempt at a Solution

I got that Vx=68m/s
Vy=68*sin(37)-(9.8*2.3)
Vy=18.38

V=sqrt(68^2+18.4^2)
V=70.4
but the velocity is not 70.4 what am I doing wrong??
Thanks for any help!
The second part I get theta= 15.1 degrees but I don't want to submit it because if the first part is wrong then this is probably not right either.

You need to take the horizontal component of velocity in the RSS which is 68*Cos 37, not 68.

Then you should be fine.

You will need to get another calculation for theta.

Your calculation for the magnitude of the velocity (V) is correct, but you made a mistake in calculating Vy. The correct equation for Vy is V0y + a*t, where V0y is the initial vertical velocity (in this case, 68*sin(37)) and a is the acceleration due to gravity (-9.8 m/s^2). So, the correct calculation for Vy is:
Vy = 68*sin(37) - 9.8*2.3 = 18.38 m/s

Therefore, the magnitude of the velocity is:
V = sqrt(68^2 + 18.38^2) = 70.4 m/s

For part (d), your calculation for the direction (theta) is correct. The direction of the projectile 2.3 seconds after firing is 15.1 degrees above the horizontal.

Related to Speed of projectile after t seconds

1. What is the formula for calculating the speed of a projectile after t seconds?

The formula for calculating the speed of a projectile after t seconds is given by v = u + at, where v is the final velocity, u is the initial velocity, a is the acceleration, and t is the time.

2. How does the angle of projection affect the speed of a projectile?

The angle of projection does not directly affect the speed of a projectile. However, it does affect the horizontal and vertical components of the projectile's velocity, which in turn affect the overall speed of the projectile.

3. Does the mass of the projectile affect its speed?

Yes, the mass of the projectile does affect its speed. According to Newton's Second Law of Motion, the acceleration of an object is directly proportional to the force acting on it and inversely proportional to its mass. Therefore, a heavier projectile will have a slower speed compared to a lighter one, all other factors being equal.

4. What is the relationship between air resistance and the speed of a projectile?

The speed of a projectile is inversely proportional to air resistance. As the speed of the projectile increases, the air resistance acting upon it also increases, causing a decrease in its overall speed.

5. How does the speed of a projectile change over time?

In the absence of external forces, the speed of a projectile remains constant over time. However, if there is air resistance or other forces acting upon the projectile, its speed may change over time due to the influence of these factors.