Speed of sound in a gas (sig fig problem)

In summary, the homework statement says to calculate the speed of sound waves in hydrogen gas at 300 K. Gamma is 1.40 and M is 2.00 g/mol. The Attempt at a Solution says that v is root (γRT/M) and that the least amount of sig figs is M, which is 3. So, the speed of sound waves in hydrogen gas at 300 K is 1321.4 km/s.
darryw

Homework Statement

Calculate the speed of sound waves in hydrogen gas (M = 2.00 g/mol and γ = 1.40) at T = 300 K.

Homework Equations

v = root (γRT/M)

The Attempt at a Solution

I keep getting 1321.4km/s but its not being acccepted (automated homework) so I am pretty sure this is a sig fig error.

I converted M into kg/mo (2/1000) = .002kg/mol

and my answer seems reasonable also.

the least amount of sig figs is M, which is 3

so my answer should also be 3 digits right? so 1.32e3 .. please help. thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
darryw said:
the least amount of sig figs is M, which is 3

Seems to me like ALL data is given with three sig figs.

R is given as 8.3134
gamma is 1.4
M is 2.00 g/mol
and T given as 300K

if gamma is 2 sig digs, even though its dimensionless, should my answer also be only 2 digs?

sorry i meant to say 1.32e3 km/s

You wrote gamma as 1.40, that's 3 sig figs.

--

edit: yes youre right. gamma is also 3 sig digs. But site won't accept the answer 1.32e3 km/s. so i don't know what I am doing wrong?

(tried to delete this extraneous post)

km/s?

ohhhh duh. i was thinking in terms of km/hr and that's why i thought it reasonable answer.
thanks!
but am i right in saying that my answer is only as many digits as the value with least amount of sig figs, and also, if gamma is dimensionless why do use that to determine sig figs in answer?
Also, it accepted "1.3 km/s" --but that's 2 sig digs.. why?

darryw said:
if gamma is dimensionless why do use that to determine sig figs in answer?

What dimensionality has to do with sig figs? Sig figs are about accuracy. You can use pi equal to 3.2 or equal to 3.1415927 - and for obvious reasons in the first case accuracy of your result will be much lower. And remember that pi is a dimensionless number...

Also, it accepted "1.3 km/s" --but that's 2 sig digs.. why?

No idea.

But I would not pay too much attention to that. Sig figs are not used where there is a real need to evaluate accuracy of the results and they are not a really important thing. The only lesson to learn - don't write too many digits as they are just noise, but do the calculations with high precision enough to not loose any of those digits that are important.

--

Related to Speed of sound in a gas (sig fig problem)

1. What is the speed of sound in a gas?

The speed of sound in a gas depends on various factors such as the density and temperature of the gas, and the molecular weight of the gas. It is typically around 343 meters per second at standard temperature and pressure.

2. How is the speed of sound in a gas related to its temperature?

The speed of sound in a gas is directly proportional to the square root of the gas's absolute temperature. This means that as the temperature of a gas increases, the speed of sound in that gas also increases.

3. How is the speed of sound in a gas affected by its molecular weight?

The speed of sound in a gas is inversely proportional to the square root of the gas's molecular weight. This means that as the molecular weight of a gas increases, the speed of sound in that gas decreases.

4. How many significant figures should be used when calculating the speed of sound in a gas?

The number of significant figures used in calculating the speed of sound in a gas should match the number of significant figures in the given data. For example, if the temperature is given to three significant figures, the speed of sound should also be rounded to three significant figures.

5. Can the speed of sound in a gas be faster than the speed of sound in air?

Yes, the speed of sound in a gas can be faster than the speed of sound in air. The speed of sound varies depending on the properties of the gas and can be faster or slower than the speed of sound in air, which is typically around 343 meters per second.