Speed of water flowing through pipe

In summary: Q/A to calculate the speed in the 3-inch diameter sectionIn summary, the speed of water flowing through the 4-inch diameter section of the piping system is 3.0 ft/s and the task is to find the volume flow rate and speed of water in the 3-inch diameter section. This can be done by calculating the flow rate using the equation Q1=A1 x V1, then using the fact that Q1=Q2 to calculate the velocity in the 3-inch diameter section, and finally using the equation v=Q/A to calculate the speed in that section.
thatshowifeel

Homework Statement

The speed of water flowing through the "influent" 4-inch diameter section of the piping system below is 3.0 ft/s. What is the volume flow rate of water in the piping system? Express the volume flow rate in [itex]ft^3/s[/itex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I really don't know what to do. I know pi*r^2 comes into play here, but I need help. Just tell me how to start and guide me through it please.
2012-11-07%252021.12.49.jpg

Physics news on Phys.org
Flow rate = area of the pipe multiplied by the velocity.

You have everything but the flow rate. The area of the pipe is pi*r^2 as you said. Since you're not given a second density we can assume the flow is incompressible, and due to the conservation of mass, the flow rate in the 3 in dimater pipe will be the same. Q1 = Q2. I can't give you anymore without solving it for you.

Given that the fluid is water, it's safe to assume that the fluid is incompressible.

Vadar2012 said:
... the flow rate in the 3 in dimater pipe will be the same. Q1 = Q2.
Can the speed of the water be different even though the flow rate is the same? Part two says to find the speed of the water in the 3-inch diameter section in ft/s

Yes.

thatshowifeel said:
Can the speed of the water be different even though the flow rate is the same? Part two says to find the speed of the water in the 3-inch diameter section in ft/s

Yes, this is connected to the equation given by vadar2012: flow rate = area x velocity.
The flow rates are the same everywhere in the pipe (it must be, the water doesn't disappear). Therefore, if the area of the pipe increases, the velocity decreases.

So:
step 1: calculate flow rate = area x velocity or Q1=A1 x V1
step 2: use Q1 = Q2 to calculate V2

FAQ: Speed of water flowing through pipe

What factors affect the speed of water flowing through a pipe?

The speed of water flowing through a pipe is affected by several factors, including the diameter of the pipe, the pressure of the water, the viscosity of the water, and any obstacles or bends in the pipe.

How is the speed of water flowing through a pipe measured?

The speed of water flowing through a pipe is typically measured in feet per second (ft/s) or meters per second (m/s). This can be done using a flow meter or by calculating the velocity using the cross-sectional area of the pipe and the volume of water flowing through it.

What is the relationship between the speed of water and the pressure of the water in a pipe?

In general, the speed of water flowing through a pipe is directly proportional to the pressure of the water. This means that if the pressure increases, the speed of water will also increase. However, this relationship can be affected by other factors such as the diameter of the pipe and any obstructions in the flow.

How does the viscosity of water affect its speed in a pipe?

Viscosity refers to the resistance of a fluid to flow. The higher the viscosity of water, the slower it will flow through a pipe. This is because more energy is required to overcome the internal friction within the water molecules. Therefore, water with a higher viscosity will have a slower speed in a pipe compared to water with a lower viscosity.

What are some practical applications of understanding the speed of water flowing through a pipe?

Understanding the speed of water flowing through a pipe is important in a variety of industries, including plumbing, irrigation, and water supply systems. It can also be useful in designing and maintaining efficient water distribution systems, as well as in predicting potential problems such as clogs or leaks in pipes.

Back