Speed Time Estimation from a video

In summary: There is a clock on the top of the screen, and you can use that to calibrate the time in slow motion. You can also use the distance from the crashing dummy to the ground to calculate the time.
Richard09876

Homework Statement

Watch the crash test video , and determine the following:

1. How fast is one of the crash test dummies thrown forward (the crash at :34 seconds) ? Pick either one, and be clear how you estimate this.

2. Assuming the speed you got from part (1), how high would a different dummy, specifically the one thrown nearly straight up (and out of sight), go if thrown at that speed?

3. Find a way of estimating the actual height achieved by this crash test dummy (the one thrown vertically, out of sight). Since the only scene where this one lands is in slow-motion ( :34) you will have to find a way to calibrate the timing with other scenes shown in real time.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm lost! I think I should make a speed time plot but how should I calibrate for slow motion in the crash at 34 seconds? Help Please!

Physics news on Phys.org
In order to estimate distance and time from a record, you need a clock and a ruler in the video.
The top of the screen has a clock, sometimes. You'll need to find something you know the length of in the video to get a distance scale.

Ive got the slow motion part figured out.
How do I go about this speed/time plot?

use the definition of speed.
you can also do it from a displacement time plot.

Okay perfect, so I looked up the width of that model of car and estimated the crash test dummy is about 1.5 car widths in the air before he falls.

The scene is in slow motion so I timed the dummy being ejected to when he falls (about 2 seconds). I'm having a a hard time figuring out how to convert this time into "real time". The clock at the top of the screen isn't very reliable, so what's another way I could go about this?

The clock at the top of the screen is the only reliable one. Its hard to read but you don't need actual numbers, just count how many times the seconds display changes in a set stopwatch time.
You could hope that air resistance is negligible and calculate the time to fall from max height to the ground.

For your report, get screen captures of the important bits.

Related to Speed Time Estimation from a video

1. How does speed time estimation from a video work?

Speed time estimation from a video involves using mathematical calculations and analyzing the movement of objects in a video to determine their speed and distance traveled.

2. What type of data is needed for speed time estimation from a video?

To accurately estimate speed and distance from a video, you will need to know the frame rate of the video, the distance between objects in the video, and the time between frames.

3. Can speed time estimation from a video be used for any type of motion?

Yes, speed time estimation from a video can be used for any type of motion as long as the necessary data is available and the movement is captured in the video.

4. How accurate is speed time estimation from a video?

The accuracy of speed time estimation from a video depends on the quality and clarity of the video, as well as the accuracy of the data used in the calculations. It is important to have precise measurements and clear visuals to ensure accurate results.

5. Are there any limitations to speed time estimation from a video?

One limitation of speed time estimation from a video is that it cannot account for external factors such as wind, friction, or other forces that may affect the speed and distance of an object. Additionally, the accuracy may decrease if the video is filmed at an angle or if there are obstructions in the video that may impact the movement of the objects being analyzed.

Back