Speed Transmitting Between Motor Gearbox and Sprocket

In summary: Dear my friend🙂 , firstly thank you so much for your attention, and I tried two ways to solve, which one is correct for you. Your way result became so low values.I tried the way that you explained to me:Time= 1400 mm(Length of chain) / 396,5 mm/s (linear speed) = 3,53secondsNumber of cycles per mins= 3,53(calculated time) / 60 seconds =0,058 (in this case, result is so low value.)and then In my opinion I tried different way:Total way per one minute = Linear speed(mm/s) * 60seconds = 396,5mm/s *
baris45
Gears.jpg

Chain length: 1400mm.

Pitch of the chain:12,7 mm
Diameter: Ø55 For z=12
Diameter: Ø71 For z=16
Diameter: Ø87 For z=20

Hello friends,
Can someone who has knowledge of how to calculate the speed transferred to the sprocket wheel can help in such systems with various gear numbers (z = 20, 16)? Even if you do not know this system, can you at least give some information on how to proceed.

Here, a speed of about 1400/15 to 93.33rpm is transferred from the reducer to the gear wheel with 20 teeth. How can I do the calculations after this stage? My goal is, for example, how many times the chain comes to the starting point in 1 minute.

I would be very happy if you could give an idea.

Thanks.

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
We need the diameter of the sprokets, which can be calculated if you provide the pitch of the chain.

• Skeptical
Likes hutchphd
Lnewqban said:
We need the diameter of the sprokets, which can be calculated if you provide the pitch of the chain.

Diameter: Ø55mm For z=12
Diameter: Ø71mm For z=16
Diameter: Ø87mm For z=20

Lnewqban said:

The diameter of the sprockets makes no difference whatsoever. All that matters is the number of teeth.

baris45 said:
Diameter: Ø55mm For z=12
Diameter: Ø71mm For z=16
Diameter: Ø87mm For z=20
Thank you.
Sorry, I missed the information shown in the posted picture about gear size.
The shaft of the driving sprocket should turn at 1400/15 = 93.33 rpm, which we can call rotational speed.

According to this on-line calculator:
https://rbracing-rsr.com/calcsprocketdiam.html

...the radius or distance from the center of the shaft to the center-line of the rollers is 3.196/2 = 1.59 inches = 40.59 mm.

The tangential velocity of your chain around the sprocket is also its linear speed, which can be calculated as V=ωr.

##V=(93.33~rpm / 60~seconds)(2π)(40.59~mm)## (result would be in mm/s)

Once you have the value of the linear speed of the chain, you can calculate how many times 1400 mm of chain go by any fixed point of the system in one minute.

Lnewqban said:
Thank you.
Sorry, I missed the information shown in the posted picture about gear size.
The shaft of the driving sprocket should turn at 1400/15 = 93.33 rpm, which we can call rotational speed.

According to this on-line calculator:
https://rbracing-rsr.com/calcsprocketdiam.html

...the radius or distance from the center of the shaft to the center-line of the rollers is 3.196/2 = 1.59 inches = 40.59 mm.

The tangential velocity of your chain around the sprocket is also its linear speed, which can be calculated as V=ωr.

##V=(93.33~rpm / 60~seconds)(2π)(40.59~mm)## (result would be in mm/s)

Once you have the value of the linear speed of the chain, you can calculate how many times 1400 mm of chain go by any fixed point of the system in one minute.

Thank you a lot. It is really clear reply for me. I just want to ask you one thing. While calculating the how many times it will come to starting point in one minute, Should i use the chain length or number of chain roller?

baris45 said:
Thank you a lot. It is really clear reply for me. I just want to ask you one thing. While calculating the how many times it will come to starting point in one minute, Should i use the chain length or number of chain roller?
You are welcome. :smile:
You can try your 110-link roller chain as a rope of lenght=1400 mm.

##Time=Distance/Velocity=Lenght~of~chain/Linear~speed##

##Number of cycles per minute=Calculated time/60~seconds##

Please, let us know your result.

hutchphd said:
The diameter of the sprockets makes no difference whatsoever. All that matters is the number of teeth.
In the case of sprockets for roller chains, there is a geometrical dependence among the pitch (or distance between rollers), number of teeth of the sprocket and the radius of the centerline of the chain rollers on the sprocket.

All Z=20 sprockets have an angle of 18° between two consecutive roller's seats.
Therefore,
##r=Pitch/2sin(18°/2)##

Rotating at same rpm, a Z=20 driving sprocket for 1.0-inch roller chain will induce higher tangential velocity than a Z=20 driving sprocket for 0.5-inch chain.

Last edited:
Lnewqban said:
You are welcome. :smile:
You can try your 110-link roller chain as a rope of lenght=1400 mm.

##Time=Distance/Velocity=Lenght~of~chain/Linear~speed##

##Number of cycles per minute=Calculated time/60~seconds##

Please, let us know your result.

Dear my friend🙂 , firstly thank you so much for your attention, and I tried two ways to solve, which one is correct for you. Your way result became so low values.

I tried the way that you explained to me:
Time= 1400 mm(Length of chain) / 396,5 mm/s (linear speed) = 3,53seconds
Number of cycles per mins= 3,53(calculated time) / 60 seconds =0,058 (in this case, result is so low value.)

and then In my opinion I tried different way:
Total way per one minute = Linear speed(mm/s) * 60seconds = 396,5mm/s * 60 seconds = 23790 mm
Number of cycles= Total way per one minute / Length of chain = 23790mm / 1400 mm = 16,99
I'm going to be waiting your feedback and thoughts, thank you 🙂

baris45 said:
I tried the way that you explained to me:
Time= 1400 mm(Length of chain) / 396,5 mm/s (linear speed) = 3,53seconds
Number of cycles per mins= 3,53(calculated time) / 60 seconds =0,058 (in this case, result is so low value.)
From the perspective of any fixed point, it takes 3.53 seconds from the first to the last link to go by.
That period of time fits 16.99 times within one minute.
Therefore, the calculation of the number of cycles per minute should be 60 / 3.53.

Likes baris45
Lnewqban said:
From the perspective of any fixed point, it takes 3.53 seconds from the first to the last link to go by.
That period of time fits 16.99 times within one minute.
Therefore, the calculation of the number of cycles per minute should be 60 / 3.53.

I got exactly now. Thank you a lot for your helping and your time.

Last edited:
Likes Lnewqban
Lnewqban said:
Rotating at same rpm, a Z=20 driving sprocket for 1.0-inch roller chain will induce higher tangential velocity than a Z=20 driving sprocket for 0.5-inch chain.
But the relationship for the driven and driving chain is equivalent. And one revolution is Z teeth regardless. So this makes no difference. Any bicyclist knows this.

Related to Speed Transmitting Between Motor Gearbox and Sprocket

1. How does the speed of transmission between the motor gearbox and sprocket affect overall performance?

The speed of transmission between the motor gearbox and sprocket plays a crucial role in the overall performance of a system. It determines the efficiency and power output of the motor, as well as the speed and torque of the sprocket. A higher speed of transmission can result in faster acceleration and greater power, while a slower speed can provide more control and precision.

2. What factors can affect the speed of transmission between the motor gearbox and sprocket?

There are several factors that can affect the speed of transmission between the motor gearbox and sprocket. These include the gear ratio, motor speed, friction, and load on the system. The type and quality of the motor and gearbox also play a significant role in determining the speed of transmission.

3. How can the speed of transmission be optimized between the motor gearbox and sprocket?

The speed of transmission can be optimized by selecting the appropriate gear ratio, using a high-quality motor and gearbox, and reducing friction in the system. Regular maintenance and lubrication can also help to improve the speed of transmission and overall performance.

4. What are the consequences of a mismatched speed of transmission between the motor gearbox and sprocket?

A mismatched speed of transmission between the motor gearbox and sprocket can result in poor performance, increased wear and tear on the system, and potential damage to the motor or gearbox. It can also lead to inefficiency and reduced power output, which can affect the overall functioning of the system.

5. Can the speed of transmission be adjusted between the motor gearbox and sprocket?

Yes, the speed of transmission can be adjusted by changing the gear ratio or adjusting the motor speed. Some systems may also have the option to adjust the sprocket size to achieve the desired speed of transmission. However, it is important to ensure that the motor and gearbox are capable of handling the adjusted speed without causing damage or compromising performance.