Speed with a de Broglie wavelength.

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of an electron's de Broglie wavelength using the equation \lambda = \frac{h}{mv}, with values of 1.0 pm, 1.0 nm, 1.0 \mum, and 1.0 mm given as possible answers. The conversation also brings up the possibility of using the relativistic speed equation \lambda = \frac{h}{m \gamma v} to account for the electron's high speed. The conclusion is that the initial answer of 4.54 x 10^27 m/s is incorrect and the correct answer using the relativistic speed equation is 2.63 x 10^-12 m or 2.63 ps.
elephantorz
1. At what speed is an electron's de Broglie wavelength:
(a) 1.0 pm
(b) 1.0 nm
(c) 1.0 [tex]\mu[/tex]m
(d) 1.0 mm
2. [tex]\lambda[/tex] = [tex]\frac{h}{mv}[/tex]
3. I have solved for v, and I plugged in values, it gives me, for a = 4.54 x 10^(27) m/s, the ANSWER is: 2.77 x 10^(8) ms, it's way off, I tried converting energy into Js it also did not work, what am I overlooking?

Physics news on Phys.org
Is it possible that my teacher is wrong? I think she copied down her answer wrong on my paper...

I am not sure on this one, should you perhaps take into account the relativistic speed?
[tex]\lambda = \frac{h}{m \gamma v}[/tex]

For a I get:
[tex]v = \frac{h}{m \lambda} = \frac{6.63 \times 10^{-34}}{(9.109 \times 10^{-31})(1\times 10^{-12})} = 7.28 \times 10^8 \text{m/s}[/tex]
This is higher than the speed of light and can therefore never be correct.

Your answer of 4.54 x 10^27 m/s is ridiculously high. The answer can NEVER be more than the speed of light which is approximately 3.0 x 10^8 m/s.

EDIT
Using 2.77 x 10^8 as the speed, you get a wavelength of 2.63 x 10^-12 m or 2.63 ps. Something wrong with the question maybe?

Last edited:
The formula with the relativistic momentum in Nick89's post will give the correct answer.

FAQ: Speed with a de Broglie wavelength.

1. What is the de Broglie wavelength?

The de Broglie wavelength is a concept in quantum mechanics that describes the wavelength associated with a moving particle, such as an electron. It is named after French physicist Louis de Broglie who first proposed the idea in 1924.

2. How is the de Broglie wavelength related to speed?

The de Broglie wavelength is inversely proportional to the speed of the particle. This means that as the speed of the particle increases, its de Broglie wavelength decreases. This relationship is described by the de Broglie formula: λ = h/mv, where λ is the de Broglie wavelength, h is Planck's constant, m is the mass of the particle, and v is its velocity.

3. What is the significance of the de Broglie wavelength?

The de Broglie wavelength is significant because it demonstrates the wave-particle duality of matter. In other words, it shows that particles, like electrons, can exhibit both wave-like and particle-like behavior. This concept is fundamental to understanding quantum mechanics and has numerous applications in modern technology, such as electron microscopy and particle accelerators.

4. How does the de Broglie wavelength impact the behavior of particles?

The de Broglie wavelength can impact the behavior of particles in several ways. For example, in the double-slit experiment, the de Broglie wavelength is used to calculate the interference pattern of electrons passing through two slits, which demonstrates their wave-like behavior. Additionally, the de Broglie wavelength can affect the diffraction of particles, as well as their momentum and energy.

5. Can the de Broglie wavelength be applied to macroscopic objects?

No, the de Broglie wavelength is only applicable to microscopic particles, such as electrons and protons. This is because the de Broglie wavelength is inversely proportional to the mass of the particle, so for larger objects with more mass, the wavelength would be too small to be measurable. Therefore, the de Broglie wavelength is only relevant for particles on the atomic or subatomic scale.