Speeding up charging speed of smartphones.

In summary, it is technically possible to improve the speed of these machine's charging, but there are costs associated with it.
MathematicalPhysicist
Gold Member
Is it technologically possible to improve the speed of these machine's charging?

I mean, I want to go now for a walk, but it seems I need to charge my phone for at least 30 minutes, can we lower the expected charging time?

What obstacles do we find to overcome this?

Thanks in advance, MP.

Engineering news on Phys.org
I had a conversation a long, long time ago (before mobile phones could fit in your pockets) with someone working in research on batteries, on the subject of charging times. There is of course a limit due to the kinetics of the chemistry taking place in the battery. But apart from that, you could have a very fast charge, but there is a cost to it, in terms of the lifetime of the battery or number of charge cycles before the capacity falls below an acceptable threshold. So you basically have to accept a compromise between having to wait for it to charge and buying new batteries all the time.

No way to bypass this obstacle?

Use an outboard battery.

If the battery is Lithium-ion, I definitely would not recommend messing with it. Li-ion batteries can catch fire or explode if charged or discharged improperly.

For other battery types it's pretty much what the other people already said. It may be possible to charge them faster, but doing so could damage the battery, shorten the life, or reduce the actual charge absorbed. There are a few reasons for this - internal heating, incomplete crystal formation, too slow ion drift rates, etc.

Overall the obvious piece of advice is that you should do your research before attempting anything.

Ultracapacitors would charge much more rapidly, but would have less capacity or be larger in size or both.

Last edited:
You cannot change the charge rate of a battery charger unless you have access to the circuit and/or the processor code that controls the charge profile. I don't happen to know how accessible/flexible the android charge code is and whether you can mess with it. (theoretically you can root your device, change the code, and re-rom it). The design would be phone dependent and possibly fully controlled by a dedicated IC. Your best bet is to buy an external battery pack for those times when you need it.

If you mess with lithium battery chargers you can cause the batteries to burn up your device (or worse). (google lithium battery fire)

Last edited:

FAQ: Speeding up charging speed of smartphones.

Q: How can I increase the charging speed of my smartphone?

There are a few simple steps you can take to increase the charging speed of your smartphone. First, make sure you are using a high-quality charging cable and wall adapter. Additionally, keeping your phone's battery between 20-80% can help it charge faster. Finally, turning on airplane mode or powering off your phone while charging can also speed up the charging process.

Q: Is it safe to use third-party fast chargers?

In general, it is safe to use third-party fast chargers as long as they are certified by a reputable organization like UL or FCC. However, it is important to make sure the charger is compatible with your specific smartphone model to avoid damaging your device.

Q: Can using a wireless charger speed up the charging process?

Wireless chargers typically have a lower charging speed compared to wired chargers. However, some newer smartphones and wireless chargers support fast wireless charging which can significantly speed up the charging process.

Q: Does charging my phone while using it slow down the charging speed?

Yes, using your phone while charging can slow down the charging speed. This is because the phone is using energy while also trying to charge, causing the charging process to take longer. It is best to avoid using your phone while it is charging for optimal charging speed.

Q: Can charging my phone overnight damage the battery?

Leaving your phone charging overnight is generally safe for modern smartphones. However, it is important to note that constantly overcharging your phone can lead to long-term battery damage. It is recommended to unplug your phone once it reaches 100% or to use a smart charger that automatically stops charging once the battery is full.