Sphere geodesic and Christoffel Symbols

In summary, the conversation discusses deriving the geodesic for a sphere of radius a using the geodesic equation. It also mentions the Christoffel symbols of the second kind and the intrinsic coordinates of the sphere. The attempted solution involves finding the two non-zero Christoffel symbols and solving a system of ODEs, but it is later pointed out that there is an easier way to do it using the Levi-Civita connection. The conversation also mentions using symmetry arguments to show that only great arcs on the equator are geodesics.
foxjwill

Homework Statement

I'm trying (on my own) to derive the geodesic for a sphere of radius a using the geodesic equation
[tex]\ddot{u}^i + \Gamma^i_{jk}\dot{u}^j\dot{u}^k,[/tex]​
where [tex]\Gamma^i_{jk}[/tex] are the Christoffel symbols of the second kind, [tex]\dot{u}[/tex] and [tex]\ddot{u}[/tex] are the the first and second derivatives w.r.t. the parameter [tex]t[/tex], and the intrinsic coordinates [tex]u^1=\phi[/tex] and [tex]u^2=\theta[/tex] of the sphere are given by
[tex]\left\{\begin{aligned}
x &= a\cos(\theta)\sin(\phi)\\
y &= a\sin(\theta)\sin(\phi)\\
z &= a\cos(\phi).\end{aligned}\right.[/tex]​

Homework Equations

[tex]\Gamma^i_{jk} = \frac{1}{2}g^{i\ell}(g_{j\ell,k} + g_{k\ell,j} - g_{jk,\ell}),[/tex]​
where [tex]g_{ij,k}=\frac{\partial g_{ij}}{\partial u^k}[/tex] and [tex]g_{ij}[/tex] is the metric tensor of the sphere.

The Attempt at a Solution

I've already shown that [tex]ds^2=a^2d\phi^2 + a^2\cos^2(\phi)d\theta^2[/tex], where [tex]s[/tex] is arclength, and from this I got that the only two non-zero Christoffel symbols of the second kind are
[tex]\Gamma^1_{22} = \sin(\phi)\cos(\phi) \qquad\text{and}\qquad \Gamma^2_{21} = -\tan(\phi).[/tex]​

Plugging these into the geodesic equation, I got the system of ODEs
\ddot\phi + \sin(\phi)\cos(\phi)\dot\theta^2 &=0\\
\ddot\theta - \tan(\phi)\dot\theta\dot\phi &=0
\end{aligned}\right.[/tex]​
Dividing the first equation by the differential [tex]d\theta^2[/tex] and the second by [tex]d\phi^2[/tex] produces
\frac{d^2\phi}{d\theta^2} + \sin(\phi)\cos(\phi) &= 0\\
\frac{d^2\theta}{d\phi^2} - \tan(\phi)\frac{d\theta}{d\phi} &= 0.
\end{aligned}\right.[/tex]​

Solving the latter, I get
[tex]\theta=c_1\ln(\sec(\phi)+\tan(\phi)) + c_2.[/tex]​
Differentiating and then solving for [tex]\phi'[/tex], we have
[tex]\begin{align*}
\phi' &= \frac{\cos(\phi)}{c_1}.
\end{align*}[/tex]​
So,
[tex]\begin{align*}
\phi'' &= -\frac{\sin(\phi)\phi'}{c_1} = -\frac{\sin(\phi)\cos(\phi)}{c_1^2}.
\end{align*}[/tex]​
However, this would only satisfy the first equation in the ode system if [tex]c_1=\pm1[/tex]. But then the set of geodesics (i.e. the great circles) would have only one degree of freedom which doesn't seem right to me. Did I do something wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
There is an easier way of doing it:
You have already found the CSotSC [itex]\Gamma[/itex]kij
A curve is a geodesic iff the Levi-Civitia connection (http://mathworld.wolfram.com/Levi-CivitaConnection.html) vanishes
Ei= E1= i.e. in the "[itex]\Theta[/itex]" direction
LCE1= [itex]\Gamma[/itex]111 (X[itex]\Theta[/itex]) + [itex]\Gamma[/itex]211 (X[itex]\Phi[/itex]) = 0
[itex]Gamma[/itex]111 is, as you said, 0
[itex]Gamma[/itex]211= sin [itex]Phi[/itex] / cos3 [Itex]Phi[/itex] = 0
Since cos [itex]Phi[/itex] =\= 0, sin [itex]Phi[/itex] =0 for the curve in the [itex]Theta[/itex] direction to be a geodesic
This happens when [itex]Phi[/itex] = 0, [itex]Pi[/itex] - ie on the "equator"
From there you can use symettry arguments to show that only great arcs like this are geodesics - i.e. on the equator

Edit: [itex]Gamma[/itex]211 = -tan [itex]Phi[/itex] - giving the same result. OOOPS...

Last edited:

Related to Sphere geodesic and Christoffel Symbols

1. What is a sphere geodesic?

A sphere geodesic is a curved path on the surface of a sphere that represents the shortest distance between two points. It is similar to a straight line on a flat surface, but takes into account the curvature of the sphere.

2. How are sphere geodesics calculated?

Sphere geodesics can be calculated using mathematical equations, such as the Haversine formula or the Vincenty formula. These equations take into account the radius of the sphere and the coordinates of the two points to determine the shortest distance and path between them.

3. What are Christoffel symbols?

Christoffel symbols are mathematical quantities used in differential geometry to describe the curvature of a surface. They represent the connection between tangent vectors at different points on the surface and are used in the calculation of geodesics.

4. How are Christoffel symbols related to sphere geodesics?

Christoffel symbols are used in the calculation of sphere geodesics because they provide information about the curvature of the surface. By using these symbols, we can determine the shortest path between two points on the sphere and the amount of curvature along that path.

5. What are the practical applications of studying sphere geodesics and Christoffel symbols?

Studying sphere geodesics and Christoffel symbols has many practical applications, such as in navigation, GPS technology, and mapmaking. These concepts also have applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and computer graphics, where understanding curved surfaces is important.