Spheres hanging by strings - Finding impulse of tension

In summary, the problem involves two equal spheres of mass m suspended by vertical strings in contact at their centers, with a third equal sphere of mass m falling and striking the other two simultaneously. The spheres form an equilateral triangle in a vertical plane at the instant of impact. The velocity of the falling sphere before impact is u. The problem asks to find the velocities of the spheres after impact and the impulse of tension of the strings. After the collision, the hanging spheres gain velocity along the direction of the common normal of the spheres. Momentum is conserved in the horizontal direction, while energy is conserved overall. The impulse of tension in the strings can be found by setting up a vector equation relating the incoming momentum, the recoil momentum,
Tanya Sharma said:
No...

Ncos60° =mv where v is the horizontal velocity of the hanging left mass .

Yes, sorry about that. It slipped my mind while I was writing the post. :redface:

Should I move on to step 2?

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes...Let impulse due to tension - T.

Tanya Sharma said:
Yes...Let impulse due to tension - T.

##T=N\sin(\pi/3)##?

Pranav-Arora said:
##T=N\sin(\pi/3)##?

:thumbs:...Now step 3 :smile:

Velocity of the falling mass -u
Velocity of the left mass -v
Recoil velocity of the falling mass -w

Tanya Sharma said:
:thumbs:...Now step 3 :smile:

The striking sphere bounces back with velocity v' upwards. Applying the equation of coefficient of restitution,
$$u\cos(\pi/6)=v''\cos(\pi/3)+v'\cos(\pi/6)$$
Correct?

I am unsure about step 4. Didn't I do the same in step 1 and 2?

Is v'' horizontal velocity of left mass after collision ?

Tanya Sharma said:
Is v'' horizontal velocity of left mass after collision ?

Yes.

Pranav-Arora said:
The striking sphere bounces back with velocity v' upwards. Applying the equation of coefficient of restitution,
$$u\cos(\pi/6)=v''\cos(\pi/3)+v'\cos(\pi/6)$$
Correct?

Well done ...Keep going ...Now the final step :)

Pranav-Arora said:
I am unsure about step 4. Didn't I do the same in step 1 and 2?

No...Consider the falling mass .The impulse is due to the two normal forces(one from left mass,other from right) .

Tanya Sharma said:
No...Consider the falling mass .The impulse is due to the two normal forces(one from left ,other from right) .
The impulse on falling mass is ##2N\cos(\pi/3)=mv'+mu##. Since N=mv'', ##\sqrt{3}mv''=mv'+mu##.

Pranav-Arora said:
The impulse on falling mass is ##2N\cos(\pi/3)=mv'+mu##. Since N=mv'', ##\sqrt{3}mv''=mv'+mu##.

Why do you keep writing N=mv'' when it is Ncos(π/3)=mv'' :confused: ?

Recheck the component of impulse due to Normal in vertical direction.

Tanya Sharma said:
Why do you keep writing N=mv'' when it is Ncos(π/3)=mv'' :confused: ?

Recheck the component of impulse due to Normal in vertical direction.

Very sorry again, the correct equation is ##2\sqrt{3}mv''=mv'+mu##.

What is the component of impulse due to normal by left mass alone in vertical direction ?

Take the 3rd equation from #27. Dot-multiply with T; you get ##T^2 = T N_2 \cos \pi/6 ##, where ##T## is known, so you can find the ##N_2##. Same for ##N_1##. Thus you get the magnitudes of ##N_1## and ##N_2##, and, because their directions are known, you get the entire vectors. Then you get ##v''## from the third equation.

Tanya Sharma said:
What is the component of impulse due to normal by left mass alone in vertical direction ?

##N\cos(\pi/6)##?

voko said:
Take the 3rd equation from #27. Dot-multiply with T; you get ##T^2 = T N_2 \cos \pi/6 ##, where ##T## is known, so you can find the ##N_2##. Same for ##N_1##. Thus you get the magnitudes of ##N_1## and ##N_2##, and, because their directions are known, you get the entire vectors. Then you get ##v''## from the third equation.

Awesome. Your method of solving the problems using vectors is really cool. I will give that a try tomorrow. Its getting late here.

Thank you both for spending your precious time to help me. :smile:

Pranav-Arora said:
Very sorry again, the correct equation is ##2\sqrt{3}mv''=mv'+mu##.

Yes...That is the correct equation :smile:

You have all four equations . Now it is just a matter of algebra .

Last edited:
Tanya Sharma said:
Yes...That is the correct equation :smile:

You have all four equations . Now it is just a matter of algebra .

Thanks a lot Tanya! :smile: