Spherical Balloon - Related Rates Problem

In summary, a spherical balloon with a radius increasing at a rate of 1 cm/min has a volume increasing at a rate of 4 000 000 pi cm^3 / min when the diameter is 2000 cm. This is in contrast to the answer in the book, which may have meant a diameter of 200 cm instead of 2000 cm.
rum2563
[SOLVED] Spherical Balloon - Related Rates Problem

Homework Statement

A spherical balloon is inflated so that its radius increases at a rate of 1 cm/min. How fast is the volume increasing when:

a) the diameter is 2000 cm
b) the surface area is 324 pi cm^2 ---> I have solved this already

Homework Equations

V = (4/3)pi(r^3)
dV/dt = 4pi(r^2)(dr/dt)

The Attempt at a Solution

For part (a) the diameter is 2000 cm.
So I make it 1000 cm for Radius

Now, I put it in the equation:

dV/dt = 4pi(r^2)(dr/dt)

where dr/dt = 1cm/min

dV/dt = 4pi(1000^2)(1 cm/min)
= 4 000 000 pi cm^3 / min

But, the answer in the book is 40 000 pi cm^3 / min.

Please help me out. Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi rum2563! :smile:

Your answer looks right to me.

I think the book must have meant 200cm, not 2000. :frown:

thanks very much. I thought so too. 2000 seems too much exaggerated. I am going to check with my teacher just to make sure. Thanks.

Related to Spherical Balloon - Related Rates Problem

1. What is a spherical balloon related rates problem?

A spherical balloon related rates problem is a type of problem in calculus that involves finding the rate of change of a spherical balloon's volume or surface area with respect to time, while the balloon is being inflated or deflated at a constant rate.

2. How do you set up a spherical balloon related rates problem?

To set up a spherical balloon related rates problem, you need to first identify the variables involved, such as the radius of the balloon, the rate of change of the radius, and the rate of change of the volume or surface area. Then, you can use the formula for the volume or surface area of a sphere, along with the given rates of change, to create a related rates equation.

3. What is the significance of a spherical balloon related rates problem?

Spherical balloon related rates problems are important because they allow us to apply calculus concepts to real-life situations, such as inflating a balloon. They also help us develop critical thinking and problem-solving skills.

4. What are some common applications of spherical balloon related rates problems?

Spherical balloon related rates problems are often used in fields such as physics, engineering, and meteorology to model and analyze various scenarios involving spherical objects, such as weather balloons, air tanks, and bubbles.

5. What are some tips for solving a spherical balloon related rates problem?

To solve a spherical balloon related rates problem, it is important to carefully read and understand the given information, identify the relevant variables and rates of change, and use the appropriate formula for calculating the volume or surface area of a sphere. It is also helpful to draw diagrams and label the known and unknown quantities. Additionally, checking your answer and units for consistency can help ensure the accuracy of your solution.