Spherical coordinates equation

In summary, the equation p = sin(theta)*sin(fi) in spherical coordinates simplifies to r = sin(phi), where phi is the polar angle. This results in the parametric equations x = sin(phi)*cos(phi) and y = sin^2(phi), which are the equations for a circle at the coordinate (0, B), where B is a constant. By applying a coordinate transformation, we can see that the surface described by this equation is a sphere centered at (0, B, 0).
yitriana

Homework Statement

Identify surface whose equation in spherical coordinates is given
p = sin(theta)*sin(fi)

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that y = r*sin(theta)*sin(fi). and thus, y = rp.

This yields y = (x2 + y2)0.5*(x2 + y2+z2)0.5

However, this is rather ugly. The answer is supposed to be "a sphere with radius 0.5, center (0. 0.5, 0)" however, I don't see how that results from this expression.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
What is p supposed to be?

p is ro. p = (x^2 + y^2 + z^2)^0.5

I'm guessing that the expression should read something like

[tex]
r = \sin\theta\sin\phi
[/tex]

where [tex]\theta[/tex] and [tex]\phi[/tex] are your polar angles. First, look in the x-y plane, where [tex]\theta=90^\circ[/tex]. This simplifies to

[tex]
r = \sin\phi.
[/tex]

Now, apply [tex]r[/tex] to the equations linking polar and Cartesian coordinates, for [tex]\theta=90^\circ[/tex], as

[tex]
x = r\cos\phi
[/tex]

[tex]
y = r\sin\phi.
[/tex]

You'll see they come out to be

[tex]
x = \sin\phi\cos\phi
[/tex]

[tex]
y = \sin^2\phi.
[/tex]

Next, recall the double-angle formulas that [tex]\sin(2x) = 2\sin x\cos x[/tex] and [tex] \cos(2x) = 1 - 2 \sin^2 x[/tex]. I'll leave it as an exercise to substitute these back into the expressions for [tex]x[/tex] and [tex]y[/tex]. What you should notice is that your values should now look like

[tex]
x = A \sin(2\phi)
[/tex]

and

[tex]
y = A \cos(2\phi) + B
[/tex]

where [tex]A[/tex] and [tex]B[/tex] are numbers. You should recognize this as the parametric representation of a circle, at the coordinate [tex](0,B)[/tex].

Now, this doesn't exactly answer your question, but it should hopefully get you to visualize how the surface should be a sphere. Particularly, if you repeat this exercise in the y-z plane, where [tex]\phi=90^\circ[/tex], you should find find another case where the result is a circle, offset from the origin by some distance [tex]B[/tex].

I think that, once you've identified what [tex]B[/tex] is, you can look into the coordinate transformation of

[tex]
x' = x, \quad y' = y + B, \quad z' = z
[/tex]

and then determine [tex]r' = \sqrt{x'^2 + y'^2 + z'^2}[/tex] which should be a constant. If this is the case, it shows that this surface is a sphere centered at [tex](0,B,0)[/tex].

Related to Spherical coordinates equation

1. What are spherical coordinates?

Spherical coordinates are a system of three-dimensional coordinates that are used to locate a point in space. They consist of a radius, an azimuth angle, and a polar angle, and are often used in physics and engineering calculations.

2. How do you convert between spherical and Cartesian coordinates?

To convert from spherical coordinates (r, θ, φ) to Cartesian coordinates (x, y, z), you can use the following equations:
x = r sinθ cosφ
y = r sinθ sinφ
z = r cosθ
To convert from Cartesian coordinates to spherical coordinates, the equations are:
r = √(x² + y² + z²)
θ = tan⁻¹(y/x)
φ = cos⁻¹(z/r)

3. What is the range for the azimuth and polar angles in spherical coordinates?

The azimuth angle (θ) ranges from 0 to 2π, while the polar angle (φ) ranges from 0 to π. This means that in spherical coordinates, a point can be located anywhere within a sphere with a radius of r, where r is the distance from the origin to the point.

4. What are some applications of spherical coordinates?

Spherical coordinates are commonly used in physics and engineering, particularly in fields such as astronomy, navigation, and geology. They are also useful in computer graphics and 3D modeling, as well as in mathematical and scientific calculations.

5. How do I graph a point in spherical coordinates?

To graph a point in spherical coordinates, start by plotting the point's radius (r) from the origin. Then, rotate the point by the azimuth angle (θ) around the z-axis and then by the polar angle (φ) around the resulting line. The resulting point will be the coordinates of your original point in spherical coordinates.

Back