Spherical Coordinates Question

In summary: Yes, squaring both quantities would give you p^2sin^2(thie)cos^2(theta) + psin^2sin(thie)sin^2(theta). And using an identity, you would get p^2sin^2(thie) + p^2sin^2(thie). Multiplying by p^2sin(thie) gives you the desired result.
meeatingrice
Hi, I am having trouble starting off this question. Could someone help me start off? Thanks in advance...

Use spherical coordinates to evaluate
∫∫∫н (x² + y²) dV,
where H is the hemispherical region that lies above the x-y plane and below the sphere x² + y² + z² = 1.

Physics news on Phys.org
In spherical coordinates, [itex]x=\rho cos(\theta)sin(\phi)[/itex], [itex]y= \rho sin(\theta)sin(\theta)[/itex], z= [itex]\rho cos(\phi)[/itex] so
[itex]x^2+ y^2= \rho^2 sin^2(\theta)[/itex], [itex]dV= \rho^2 sin(\phi)d\rho d\theta d\phi[/itex], and the limits of integration are [itex]\rho[/itex] from 0 to 1, [itex]\theta[/itex] from 0 to [itex]2\pi[/itex], and [itex]\phi[/itex] from 0 to [itex]\pi/2[/itex].

Last edited by a moderator:
HallsofIvy said:
In spherical coordinates, [itex]x=\rho cos(\theta)sin(\phi)[/itex], [itex]y= \rho sin(\theta)sin(\theta)[/itex], z= [itex]\rho cos(\phi)[/itex] so
[itex]x^2+ y^2= \rho^2 sin^2(\theta)[/itex], [itex]dV= \rho^2 sin(\phi)d\rho d\theta d\phi[/itex], and the limits of integration are [itex]\rho[/itex] from 0 to 1, [itex]\theta[/itex] from 0 to [itex]2\pi[/itex], and [itex]\phi[/itex] from 0 to [itex]\pi/2[/itex].

Thanks HallsofIvy for the reply. So is this basically is this just finding a volume to the hemisphere that's below the x-y plane? Sorry with the questions, I"m new to this... :-p

meeatingrice said:
Thanks HallsofIvy for the reply. So is this basically is this just finding a volume to the hemisphere that's below the x-y plane? Sorry with the questions, I"m new to this... :-p
No, it's not. For one thing, you said it was the portion of the sphere above the x-y plane, not below. More importantly, it's not finding the volume because that would be just [itex]\int \int \int dV[/itex], not [itex]\int \int \int (x^2+ y^2) dV[/itex]. You are integrating the function x2+ y2 over the unit hemisphere above the xy-plane.

Clarification, from a casual observer

Is sine supposed to be squared in dV? If not, why?

Also, what's the difference between "evaluating a hemisphere" as stated in the original problem and "finding volume"? When I took VectorCalc, this kind of stuff used to stump me all the time.

And lastly, how do you know what the limits are for each variable, e.g. 0 to 1, 0 to 2pi, etc?

the sin2 was my error. I have edited it.

The problem did not say "evaluate a hemisphere" (I don't know what that could mean). It said "evaluate the integral" on the hemisphere.
Surely you know what it means to "evaluate an integral".

since x=psin(thie)cos(theta) and y= psin(thie)sin(theta) squaring both quantanties would give you p^2sin^2(thie)cos^2(theta) + psin^2sin(thie)sin^2(theta) and using an identity give yous p^2sin^2(thie) + p^2sin^2(thie) since the theta's would equal one. Then adding these together this would give you 2p^2sin^2(thie) wouldn't it. then multiplying by p^2sin(thie) give you the thing you integrate first by rho, then theta, and finaly thie right. This is problem18 on p887 of James Stewart Calculus Concepts and Contexts 3

FAQ: Spherical Coordinates Question

1. What are spherical coordinates?

Spherical coordinates are a system of coordinates that are used to locate points in three-dimensional space. They use a combination of radial distance, polar angle, and azimuthal angle to describe the position of a point in space.

2. How are spherical coordinates different from Cartesian coordinates?

Spherical coordinates use a different set of variables to describe the position of a point in space. While Cartesian coordinates use x, y, and z coordinates, spherical coordinates use radial distance, polar angle, and azimuthal angle. Spherical coordinates are often used in situations where the shape of the object or space being studied is better described using a spherical coordinate system.

3. What are the advantages of using spherical coordinates?

Spherical coordinates allow for a more intuitive description of certain three-dimensional objects or spaces, such as spheres or globes. They are also helpful in physics and engineering applications, as they simplify certain calculations and equations.

4. How do you convert between spherical and Cartesian coordinates?

To convert from spherical coordinates to Cartesian coordinates, you can use the following equations:
x = r * sin(θ) * cos(φ)
y = r * sin(θ) * sin(φ)
z = r * cos(θ)
where r is the radial distance, θ is the polar angle, and φ is the azimuthal angle. To convert from Cartesian coordinates to spherical coordinates, you can use these equations:
r = √(x² + y² + z²)
θ = arccos(z/r)
φ = arctan(y/x)

5. What are some real-life applications of spherical coordinates?

Spherical coordinates are commonly used in astronomy to describe the positions of celestial objects. They are also used in navigation and mapmaking, as well as in physics and engineering for calculations involving spherical objects or spaces. Additionally, spherical coordinates are used in computer graphics and virtual reality to create three-dimensional environments and objects.

Back