Spherical harmonics & Mathematica

They use "quadruple" to refer to a type of quadrilateral, whereas the conversation is discussing the zz component of a quadrupole tensor.
shetland
I'm calculating the zz Component for the quadruple tensor.

[tex] Q_{zz} = 3cos^2\theta-1 [/tex](r=1 in this case), and the [tex] Y_{lm}(\theta,\phi) [/tex] would be l=2, m=0.

I would like to calculate the result in either maple or mathematica - I have not used either very much - I want to check the result using the wigner-eckhart theorem against this - and if anyone feels like offering input here as well, much appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't know what your question is but, in the meantime, I think you intended to say quadrupole.

Tide said:
I don't know what your question is but, in the meantime, I think you intended to say quadrupole.

Yes, though even from mathworld it is spelled as I used: http://mathworld.wolfram.com/Quadruple.html

My question was lame, or showed off how ignorant I am - I am quite rusty - and realized how to do this in mathematica, and in addition sloughed through until I could use the wigner-eckhart theorem.

The integral was solved basically fiddling around with the spherical harmonic recursion relations (cosine * spherical harmonic).

Wolfram's "quadruple" refers to an entirely different concept.

Related to Spherical harmonics & Mathematica

1. What are spherical harmonics and what are they used for?

Spherical harmonics are mathematical functions that describe the behavior of waves on a spherical surface. They are commonly used to represent the angular component of a wave function in quantum mechanics and to describe the shape and orientation of molecules in chemistry.

2. How can I plot and visualize spherical harmonics using Mathematica?

To plot and visualize spherical harmonics using Mathematica, you can use the built-in function "SphericalPlot3D". This function allows you to specify the order and degree of the spherical harmonic, as well as the range of the theta and phi angles. You can also use the "ContourPlot3D" function to plot the magnitude of the spherical harmonic.

3. Can I use Mathematica to calculate the values of spherical harmonics?

Yes, Mathematica has a built-in function called "SphericalHarmonicY" that can be used to calculate the values of spherical harmonics at a specific order and degree. You can also use the "SphericalBesselJ" function to calculate the radial component of the spherical harmonic.

4. How do I use Mathematica to perform spherical harmonic expansion?

To perform spherical harmonic expansion using Mathematica, you can use the built-in function "SphericalHarmonicY" to calculate the values of the spherical harmonics at different orders and degrees. Then, you can use the "Series" function to expand a given function in terms of these spherical harmonics.

5. Are there any resources available for learning more about spherical harmonics and Mathematica?

Yes, there are many resources available for learning about spherical harmonics and Mathematica. The Wolfram website has a comprehensive documentation on the built-in functions for spherical harmonics and there are also online tutorials and courses available. Additionally, there are many books and research papers that discuss the theory and applications of spherical harmonics in depth.