Spherical Refraction Surfaces. (I'm confused as to how you get the answer.

In summary, the index of refraction of the solid transparent sphere is equal to 2, as determined by the equation (n1/p) + (n2/i) = (n2 - n1)/(r) where p (object distance or laser distance) is infinity, i (image distance) is 2r, n1 (object's side refraction index) is 1.000 (air), and r is the radius of curvature. This is obtained by simplifying the equation to n2 = 2n2 - 2 and solving for n2, which results in n2 = 2.
afcwestwarrior
A beam of parallel light rays from a laser is incident on a solid transparent sphere of index of refraction n. (a) If a point image is produced at the back of the sphere, what is the index of refraction of the sphere.

Here's the equation you use to find the index of refraction of the sphere.

(n1/p ) + (n2/ i) = (n2 - n1 ) / (r)

P (object distance or laser distance) = infinity (makes sense)

i (image distance) = 2r

r = radius of curvature

n1 (object's side refraction index) = 1.000 (air)

n2 (refractive index of the sphere ) = ?

(1/ infinity) + (n2 / 2r) = (n2 - 1) / r

somehow 1 / infinity goes away

so it becomes
(n2 / 2r) = (n2 - 1) / r

now it becomes n2 = 2 (n2-1)

r's cancel out

now it becomes n2 = 2n2 - 2

The answer is n2 = 2

How did they just get 2 when I have n2 = 2n2 - 2

Physics news on Phys.org
Nevermind I figured it out. It becomes

n2/n2 = ( 2n2/n2) - (2/n2)

then it becomes

1 = 2 - 2/n2

then it becomes

1 + 2/n2 =2

then it becomes

2/n2 = 2 -1

then it becomes

2/n2 = 1

then 2 = n2

Related to Spherical Refraction Surfaces. (I'm confused as to how you get the answer.

What is a spherical refraction surface?

A spherical refraction surface is a curved surface that refracts light, meaning it bends light as it passes through it. It is often used in lenses and mirrors in optical devices.

How does a spherical refraction surface work?

A spherical refraction surface works by changing the direction of light rays as they pass through the curved surface. This is due to the change in the speed of light as it travels through different mediums.

What is the difference between a spherical refraction surface and a flat refraction surface?

The main difference is in the shape of the surface. A spherical refraction surface is curved, while a flat refraction surface is, as the name suggests, flat. This results in different properties and behaviors of light as it passes through each type of surface.

What are some common applications of spherical refraction surfaces?

Spherical refraction surfaces are commonly used in various optical devices such as cameras, telescopes, eyeglasses, and microscopes. They are also used in the production of mirrors and lenses for projectors, headlights, and other lighting equipment.

How are spherical refraction surfaces made?

Spherical refraction surfaces are usually made by shaping a piece of glass or plastic into a curved surface using specialized tools and techniques. The surface is then polished to achieve the desired level of smoothness and curvature.