Spin 3/2 fields & Rarita-Schwinger

In summary, the conversation discusses constructing spin 3/2 representations of the Lorentz group and the use of vector-spinors in Rarita-Schwinger equations. The reduction of degrees of freedom to 4 particle and 4 antiparticle is mentioned, corresponding to the group theory (1/2,0)+(0,1/2))x(1/2,1/2)=(1,1/2)+(0,1/2)+(1/2,0)+(1/2,1). The question is raised about using the (3/2,0)+(0,3/2) representation and its potential advantages. The conversation concludes with a mention of the lack of published literature on this topic and potential
gazebo_dude
Hi all and merry christmas,

I've been wondering about how to construct spin 3/2 reps of the Lorentz group. The way I've seen it done is with vector-spinors ala the Rarita-Schwinger equations: [tex]\psi_{a\mu}[/tex], [tex]\mu[/tex] being a 4-vector index and a being a (bi)spinor index. Then a reduction is made by projecting out 8 of the 16 degrees of freedom leaving 4 particle+4 antiparticle. This corresponds to the group theory ((1/2,0)+(0,1/2))x(1/2,1/2)=(1,1/2)+(0,1/2)+(1/2,0)+(1/2,1). The desired bits are (1,1/2)+(1/2,1).

My question is: why not just use the (3/2,0)+(0,3/2) rep? The fields can be represented as objects having three symmetric spin indices: [tex]\psi_{abc}[/tex] for the left handed and [tex]\bar{\xi}^{\dot{a}\dot{b}\dot{c}}[/tex] for the right handed. I haven't tried any computations yet, but a Lagrangian kinetic term might look something like [tex]\bar{\psi}^{\dot{a}\dot{b}\dot{c}} i\partial^{a}_{\dot{a}} \psi_{abc} \eta^{bc}_{\dot{b}\dot{c}}[/tex] where the derivative and metric are in terms of spinor indices and index gymnastics have been done with abandon. There are certainly no issues with projecting out undesired degrees of freedom.

I haven't seen anything like this for spin 3/2 particles before. Has it been tried? Are there any well known problems with this theory?

Cheers,
Michael

Physics news on Phys.org
As you can see on <Google>, there's very little published literature on the 2 representations you mention. I don't know a reason why Rarita-Schwinger's version prevailed over Pauli-Fierz's version of the field. It could have something to do with gauge invariance, I'm venturing on unknown territory...

FAQ: Spin 3/2 fields & Rarita-Schwinger

1. What is a spin 3/2 field?

A spin 3/2 field is a type of quantum field that describes particles with a spin of 3/2. This means that the particle has a certain intrinsic angular momentum, and can have 4 possible polarization states. Examples of particles with spin 3/2 include the Delta baryon and the Rho meson.

2. What is the Rarita-Schwinger equation?

The Rarita-Schwinger equation is a relativistic wave equation that describes spin 3/2 fields. It was developed in the 1940s by physicists William Rarita and Julian Schwinger. The equation takes into account the effects of special relativity and describes the behavior of spin 3/2 particles in a consistent manner.

3. How does the Rarita-Schwinger equation differ from the Dirac equation?

While both equations are relativistic wave equations, the Rarita-Schwinger equation is specifically designed to describe particles with spin 3/2, while the Dirac equation describes particles with spin 1/2. Additionally, the Rarita-Schwinger equation has 4 components, while the Dirac equation has 2 components.

4. What are the applications of Spin 3/2 fields & Rarita-Schwinger in physics?

Spin 3/2 fields and the Rarita-Schwinger equation have various applications in physics, particularly in the study of subatomic particles. They have been used to describe the behavior of baryons and mesons, as well as in the development of supersymmetric theories. They have also been used in the study of high energy collisions and the behavior of particles in extreme conditions, such as in the early universe.

5. What are the challenges in studying Spin 3/2 fields & Rarita-Schwinger?

One of the main challenges in studying Spin 3/2 fields and the Rarita-Schwinger equation is their mathematical complexity. The equations involved are highly non-linear and can be difficult to solve analytically. Additionally, there are some issues with the interpretation of spin 3/2 particles, as they do not fit into the standard classification of particles based on spin. This has led to ongoing debates and discussions among physicists.