Spin expectation values in x and y direction

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the initial state vector for a magnetic field pointing in the +ve z-direction, using the generalized Ehrenfest theorem to find the rate of change of the expectation values for Sx and Sy in terms of ω and the spin operators, and finding the expectation value of the spin y operator from the commutator. The conversation concludes with the realization that the question has been answered.
bobred
I have found what I think is the correct answer I just want to check an assumption. The magnetic field points in the +ve z-direction. We are given the initial state vector

[itex]\left| A \right\rangle_{initial}=\frac{1}{5}\left[ \begin{array}{c}3\\4\end{array} \right][/itex]

Am I right in thinking that this is in the z-direction?
So that

[itex]\left| A \right\rangle_{initial}= a_1 \left| \uparrow_z \right\rangle + a_2 \left| \downarrow_z \right\rangle = \frac{3}{5}\left[ \begin{array}{c}1\\0\end{array} \right] + \frac{4}{5}\left[ \begin{array}{c}0\\1\end{array} \right][/itex]

Physics news on Phys.org
hi bobred! :wink:
bobred said:
Am I right in thinking that this is in the z-direction?

if you mean, do the notations (1 0) and (0 1) mean the +ve and -ve z directions, then yes :smile:

(that is the general convention, and you can assume it unless stated otherwise)

Hi
Yes that's what I meant. We are then asked to find the expectation values at a later time which I have.

We are then asked using the generalized Ehrenfest theorem to find the rate of change of [itex]\left\langle S_x \right\rangle[/itex] and [itex]\left\langle S_y \right\rangle[/itex] in terms of [itex]\left\langle S_x \right\rangle[/itex] and [itex]\left\langle S_y \right\rangle[/itex] and ω. Using the generalized Ehrenfest theorem I find them in terms of [itex]\hat{S_x}[/itex] and [itex]\hat{S_y}[/itex] and ω. Any ideas?

bobred said:
We are then asked using the generalized Ehrenfest theorem to find the rate of change of [itex]\left\langle S_x \right\rangle[/itex] and [itex]\left\langle S_y \right\rangle[/itex] in terms of [itex]\left\langle S_x \right\rangle[/itex] and [itex]\left\langle S_y \right\rangle[/itex] and ω. Using the generalized Ehrenfest theorem I find them in terms of [itex]\hat{S_x}[/itex] and [itex]\hat{S_y}[/itex] and ω. Any ideas?

How far have you gotten? Are you able to get an expression for [Sx, H] in terms of Sx and/or Sy?

Last edited:
Hi, I get (we are told [itex]\omega = -\gamma_s B[/itex])

[itex]\left[ \hat{S_x},\hat{H} \right]=-\frac{\gamma_s B \hbar^2}{2}\left[ \begin{array}{cc}0&-1\\1& 0 \end{array} \right]=\frac{\omega \hbar^2}{2}\left[ \begin{array}{cc}0&-1\\1& 0 \end{array} \right][/itex]

and

[itex]\displaystyle\dfrac{d\left\langle S_x \right\rangle}{dt}=-\frac{\omega \hbar}{2}\left[ \begin{array}{cc}0&-i\\i& 0 \end{array} \right]=-\omega \hat{S_y}[/itex]

bobred said:
Hi, I get (we are told [itex]\omega = -\gamma_s B[/itex])

[itex]\left[ \hat{S_x},\hat{H} \right]=-\frac{\gamma_s B \hbar^2}{2}\left[ \begin{array}{cc}0&-1\\1& 0 \end{array} \right]=\frac{\omega \hbar^2}{2}\left[ \begin{array}{cc}0&-1\\1& 0 \end{array} \right][/itex]

and

[itex]\displaystyle\dfrac{d\left\langle S_x \right\rangle}{dt}=-\frac{\omega \hbar}{2}\left[ \begin{array}{cc}0&-i\\i& 0 \end{array} \right]=-\omega \hat{S_y}[/itex]

Looks pretty good. But note that Ehrenfest's theorem states

[itex]\displaystyle\dfrac{d\left\langle S_x \right\rangle}{dt}= \frac{1}{i\hbar}\langle\left[ \hat{S_x},\hat{H} \right]\rangle [/itex]

The right hand side contains an expectation value of ##\left[ \hat{S_x},\hat{H} \right]##.

From the commutator I get the expectation value of the spin y operator... can't seem to see where to go from there.

bobred said:
From the commutator I get the expectation value of the spin y operator... can't seem to see where to go from there.

Doesn't that provide the answer to the question? That is, you now have the rate of change of ##\langle S_x \rangle## expressed in terms of ##\omega## and ##\langle S_y \rangle##. Or have I misunderstood what you are trying to find?

Last edited:
Likes 1 person
Hi, my fault I had confused myself. Thanks

Related to Spin expectation values in x and y direction

What is a spin expectation value?

A spin expectation value is a mathematical quantity that describes the average value of the spin of a particle in a specific direction. It is calculated by taking the sum of all possible spin values and their corresponding probabilities, and is often denoted as .

What is the significance of spin expectation values in x and y direction?

Spin expectation values in x and y direction provide important information about the orientation and direction of a particle's spin. These values can be used to predict the behavior of the particle in a magnetic field and are essential in quantum mechanics calculations.

How are spin expectation values in x and y direction measured?

Spin expectation values in x and y direction are typically measured using a Stern-Gerlach experiment. In this experiment, a beam of particles with varying spin values is passed through an inhomogeneous magnetic field, causing the particles to deflect in different directions depending on their spin orientation. The resulting deflection can be used to determine the spin expectation values.

What is the difference between spin expectation values in x and y direction?

The main difference between spin expectation values in x and y direction is the direction of the spin being measured. The x-direction corresponds to the spin being measured along the horizontal axis, while the y-direction corresponds to the spin being measured along the vertical axis. These values can differ depending on the orientation of the particle's spin.

How do spin expectation values in x and y direction relate to quantum states?

Spin expectation values in x and y direction are closely related to the quantum state of a particle. The quantum state describes the probability of a particle being in a specific spin state. By calculating the spin expectation values in x and y direction, we can determine the quantum state of a particle and make predictions about its behavior in different scenarios.