Spin projections on different axis

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of quantum entanglement and the Bell inequality, which has led to a lack of understanding of spin. The scenario of two entangled electrons is presented, where Alice measures spin along the z axis and finds the electron in spin down state. It is then questioned how Bob's subsequent measurement along an axis at an angle to the z-axis could result in |up> or |down>, as it seems there would only be a component of spin in one direction. The conversation ends with a request for clarification on this confusion.
turbocod
I am currently trying to understand the idea of quantum entanglement (more specifically the Bell inequality). But its brought up a lack of my knowledge of spin.

So, I am trying to figure out how spin can be projected onto an arbitrary axis.

Suppose there are two entangled electrons of state 1/sqrt(2)(|up>|down> + |down>|up>). Where the first ket denotes Alice's particle and the second denotes Bobs. Now, if Alice measures spin along the z axis (where the z axis is the basis of the spins), she finds the electron in spin down state.

Now, Bob's electron must be in the spin up state. But he measures along an axis at an angle theta to the z-axis. I am having trouble picturing here how his subsequent measurement could be |up> or |down>. Since unless the measurement is being made at 90 degrees to z, there would surely only be a component of spin in the up or down direction on Bobs axis (not both).

Can anyone help me understand this? I'm finding myself incredibly confused.

Physics news on Phys.org
turbocod said:
Now, Bob's electron must be in the spin up state. But he measures along an axis at an angle theta to the z-axis. I am having trouble picturing here how his subsequent measurement could be |up> or |down>.
It is up or down with respect with the axis he is measuring at, not with respect to the z axis, to which |up> and |down> correspond.

Related to Spin projections on different axis

What is spin projection on different axis?

Spin projection on different axis refers to the measurement of a particle's spin along a specific axis. It is a quantum mechanical property of particles that indicates their intrinsic angular momentum.

How is spin projection on different axis measured?

Spin projection on different axis is measured using a device called a Stern-Gerlach apparatus. This device uses a magnetic field to split a beam of particles based on their spin orientation along a specific axis.

What are the possible outcomes of measuring spin projection on different axis?

The possible outcomes of measuring spin projection on different axis are two discrete values: +½ and -½. These values represent the spin being either “up” or “down” along the particular axis being measured.

How is spin projection on different axis related to spin quantum number?

The spin projection on different axis is related to the spin quantum number, which is a number that describes the magnitude of a particle's spin. The spin projection is one component of the spin quantum number, with the other component being the spin orientation along the other two axes.

What is the significance of spin projection on different axis in quantum mechanics?

Spin projection on different axis is significant in quantum mechanics because it is a fundamental property of particles that has important implications in various physical phenomena. It is also a key concept in understanding the behavior of particles in magnetic fields and in quantum computing.