Spincoating Mechanical Properties & Fabrication Questions

Chrono G. Xay
TL;DR Summary
I hope I’m posting in the correct kind of forum.

I found a ‘guide’—at least of sorts—about spincoating here: https://www.ossila.com/pages/spin-coating#choosing-a-spin-coating-method, but I have a question or two about the possibilities when it comes to spinCAST membranes.
1. Can anyone point me toward publicly-available research papers which examine the mechanical properties of spincast membranes, specifically Tensile Strength, Young’s Modulus, and Poisson’s ratio?

2. How doable might it be to spincast a membrane about 0.2m across and 0.076mm tall?

What I am hoping to is create a radially-oriented version of BOPET (biaxially-oriented polyethylene terephthalate).

Related to Spincoating Mechanical Properties & Fabrication Questions

What is spin coating and how does it work?

Spin coating is a technique used to apply uniform thin films to flat substrates. A small amount of coating material is deposited onto the center of the substrate, which is then rapidly spun. Centrifugal force spreads the coating material evenly across the surface, and solvent evaporation leaves behind a thin, uniform film.

What factors influence the thickness of the film in spin coating?

The thickness of the film in spin coating is influenced by several factors, including the viscosity of the coating solution, the spin speed, the spin time, and the concentration of the solution. Higher viscosity solutions and lower spin speeds typically result in thicker films, while lower viscosity solutions and higher spin speeds produce thinner films.

How do you control the uniformity of the film in spin coating?

Uniformity of the film in spin coating can be controlled by optimizing the spin speed, spin time, and solution viscosity. Additionally, ensuring that the substrate is level and free from contaminants, and using a consistent dispensing technique can help achieve better uniformity. Proper solvent choice and environmental conditions, such as humidity and temperature, also play a role in film uniformity.

What are the common materials used for spin coating?

Common materials used for spin coating include photoresists, polymers, sol-gels, and nanomaterials. Photoresists are often used in microfabrication and lithography, while polymers are used in various applications such as organic electronics and coatings. Sol-gels are used for creating ceramic and glass films, and nanomaterials are used for advanced functional coatings.

What are the mechanical properties of spin-coated films?

The mechanical properties of spin-coated films depend on the material used and the processing conditions. These properties can include hardness, elasticity, adhesion, and tensile strength. For example, polymer films might exhibit flexibility and moderate tensile strength, while ceramic films might be harder and more brittle. Understanding these properties is essential for tailoring films for specific applications.