Spinless Electron-Muon Scattering (Halzen-Martin)

• Thread starter maverick280857
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Scattering
In summary, the authors discuss the solution to the equation \Box^2 A^{\mu} = j^{\mu}_{(2)}, which is given by A^{\mu} = -\frac{1}{q^2}j^{\mu}_{2}, where q = p_D-p_B. They also mention that the 4-current j_{\mu}^{fi} and the vector potential A^{\mu} are related through the transition amplitude T_{fi}, which is expressed as -i\int d^{4}x j_{\mu}^{fi}A^{\mu}. The authors then present two different expressions for T_{fi}, one of which includes a delta function, leading to a similar expression
maverick280857
Hi everyone.

I was going through section 4.2 of Halzen and Martin, when I came across the following step

[tex]\Box^2 A^{\mu} = j^{\mu}_{(2)}[/tex]

where

[tex]j^{\mu}_{2} = -eN_{B}N_{D}(p_{D}+p_{B})^{\mu}e^{i(p_D-p_B)\cdot x}[/tex]

Now, according to the authors,

Since [itex]\Box^2 e^{iq\cdot x} = -q^2 e^{iq\cdot x}[/tex], the solution of the above equation is

[tex]A^{\mu} = -\frac{1}{q^2}j^{\mu}_{2}[/tex]

where [itex]q = p_D-p_B[/itex].

Question 1: Shouldn't this be the solution in Fourier space?

My doubt stems from the fact that the expression for the transition amplitude [itex]T_{fi}[/itex] is

[tex]T_{fi} = -i\int d^{4}x j_{\mu}^{fi}A^{\mu}[/tex]

with [itex]A^{\mu}[/itex] being the vector potential of the muon, as obtained above, and [itex]j_{\mu}^{fi}[/itex] being the 4-current of the electron, given by

[tex]j_{\mu}^{fi} = -eN_{A}N_{C}(p_A+p_C)_{\mu}e^{i(p_C-p_A)\cdot x}[/tex]

Let [itex]j_{\mu}^{fi}[/itex] be denoted by [itex]j_{\mu}^{(1)}[/itex].

Then, according to me, the expression of the transition amplitude should be

[tex]T_{fi} = -i\int d^{4}x\,j_{\mu}^{(1)}\left(\frac{1}{(2\pi)^{4}}\int d^{4}q e^{-iq\cdot x}\frac{-j^{\mu}_{(2)}(q)}{q^2}\right)[/tex]

whereas the expression given by Halzen and Martin is

[tex]T_{fi} = -i\int d^{4}x\,j_{\mu}^{(1)}\left(\frac{-j^{\mu}_{(2)}(x)}{q^2}\right)[/tex]

Note that the [itex]j^{\mu}_{(2)}[/itex] which appears in their expression is not the Fourier Transformed version. While the final expression might just seem to turn out right, what I do not understand is how they could write the solution to [itex]A^{\mu}[/itex] quite so simply in position space.

Isn't there a misprint somewhere?

Physics news on Phys.org
plug in their suggested solution into [tex]
\Box^2 A^{\mu} = j^{\mu}_{(2)}
[/tex]

[tex]
j^{\mu}_{2} = -eN_{B}N_{D}(p_{D}+p_{B})^{\mu}e^{i(p_D-p_B)\cdot x}
[/tex] should be
[tex]
j^{\mu}_{2} = -eN_{B}N_{D}(p_{D}-p_{B})^{\mu}e^{i(p_D-p_B)\cdot x}
[/tex]

??

I don't understand what you're trying to say.

EDIT: Perhaps you are trying to point out that their solution is correct. I got that part, but only after going to Fourier space and taking an inverse Fourier transform, in which the delta function essentially collapsed the integral to that 1/q^2 term.

Last edited:
you wrote

[tex]
[/tex]

but it should be

[tex]
[/tex]

? or ??

then let
[tex]
j^{\mu}_{2} = -q^{\mu}e^{iq\cdot x}
[/tex]

we get if

[tex]
A^{\mu} = -\frac{1}{q^2}j^{\mu}_{2} \: \Rightarrow
[/tex]

[tex]
[/tex]

where lies your problem?

ansgar said:
you wrote

[tex]
[/tex]

but it should be

[tex]
[/tex]

No, what I wrote is correct. Refer to Eqn 4.11 for a clarification.

Also, by definition [itex]\phi_{i,f} = N_{i,f}e^{-ip_{i,f}\cdot x}[/itex] and

[tex]j_{\mu}^{fi}(x) = -ie(\phi_{f}^{*}(\partial_\mu\phi_i)-(\partial_\mu\phi_f^{*})\phi_i)[/tex]

which gives a + sign, as correctly stated in my post.

The problem was that if you take the Fourier transform of [itex]\Box A^\mu(x) = j^\mu(x)[/itex] you get

[tex]A^\mu(q) = -\frac{1}{q^2}j^\mu(q)[/tex]

where the argument q denotes the Fourier Transformed version. In the book, it appears that 4.15 has been written in position space directly, which was confusing initially, until I realized that the delta function term plays a role and one gets a similar expression in position space as well.

maverick280857 said:
No, what I wrote is correct. Refer to Eqn 4.11 for a clarification.

Also, by definition [itex]\phi_{i,f} = N_{i,f}e^{-ip_{i,f}\cdot x}[/itex] and

[tex]j_{\mu}^{fi}(x) = -ie(\phi_{f}^{*}(\partial_\mu\phi_i)-(\partial_\mu\phi_f^{*})\phi_i)[/tex]

which gives a + sign, as correctly stated in my post.

The problem was that if you take the Fourier transform of [itex]\Box A^\mu(x) = j^\mu(x)[/itex] you get

[tex]A^\mu(q) = -\frac{1}{q^2}j^\mu(q)[/tex]

where the argument q denotes the Fourier Transformed version. In the book, it appears that 4.15 has been written in position space directly, which was confusing initially, until I realized that the delta function term plays a role and one gets a similar expression in position space as well.

i don't have that book

then you have (a+b) but you have (a-b) in the numerator?

ansgar said:
i don't have that book

then you have (a+b) but you have (a-b) in the numerator?

Yes, you have (a-b) in the argument of the exponential, and (a+b) in the coefficient of the exponential term. You get that if you use the standard expression for the 4-current, and a asymptotic plane wave for the initial and final states of the (spinless) electron and muon.

so how is

[itex]
\Box^2 e^{iq\cdot x} = -q^2 e^{iq\cdot x}
[/itex]

with [itex]
q = p_D-p_B
[/itex] justified?

if we forget what q is, then

[tex]
A^{\mu} = -\frac{1}{q^2}j^{\mu}_{2}
[/tex]

is a solution for (in position space)
[tex]
[/tex]
where

[tex]
[/tex]

ansgar said:
so how is

[itex]
[/itex]

with [itex]
q = p_D-p_B
[/itex] justified?

Just use the definition of the d'Alembertian: [itex]\Box = \partial_\mu\partial^\mu = \frac{\partial^2}{\partial t^2}-\nabla^2[/itex].

As for the second part, it is not justified directly, but rather, one computes the Fourier transform of the 4-current, multiplies it by -1/q^2, takes the inverse Fourier transform, and ends up getting the expression mentioned in the book. The conclusion is that the final expression given in the book (solution of the differential equation) is correct.

Another way of looking at it (and thanks for making me think) is that the right hand side of the differential equation contains an exponential, and the left hand side is a linear differential operator acting on an undetermined function. So we can expand the solution as a series in the exponential function on the right hand side (the usual way a particular integral of an ODE is found..except that here we are dealing with uncoupled partial derivatives, so the method goes through). Comparing coefficients and rearranging gives the same result.

Finally, the property that the position space solution ends up 'looking' like the Fourier domain solution holds due to the presence of a single complex exponential on the RHS. If the 4-current were more complicated, life wouldn't be quite so simple (e.g. the general retarded potential solution for the 4-potential, which is up to quadrature).

box vs. box^2 ?

I was referring to the fact that applying [itex]

[/itex]
with
[itex]

q = p_D-p_B

[/itex]
to an equation with is on the form
[tex]

[/tex]

ansgar said:
box vs. box^2 ?

I was referring to the fact that applying [itex]

[/itex]
with
[itex]

q = p_D-p_B

[/itex]
to an equation with is on the form
[tex]

[/tex]

I believe the authors are trying to justify the solution that way.

ansgar said:
box vs. box^2 ?
Both [itex] \Box^2 = \Box [/itex] are often used to refer to the d'Alembertian which is a second derivative.

Hence, what you wrote here:
ansgar said:
[tex]

[/tex]
does not really make sense.

councilmage said:
Hence, what you wrote here: does not really make sense.

explain

[tex]
\Box^2e^{iq\cdot x} = \partial_\mu\partial^\mu (e^{iq^\mu x_\mu}) = \partial_\mu ( -iq^\mu e^{iq_\mu x^\mu})= (-iq^\mu)(-iq_\mu) e^{iq\cdot x} = -q^2e^{iq\cdot x}
[/tex]

So I'm not sure how you obtained [tex]j^{\mu}_{2} = -q^{\mu}e^{iq\cdot x}[/tex]. I should probably have asked that first.

ansgar said:
you wrote

[tex]
[/tex]

but it should be

[tex]
[/tex]

? or ??

then let
[tex]
[/tex]

we get if

[tex]
A^{\mu} = -\frac{1}{q^2}j^{\mu}_{2} \: \Rightarrow
[/tex]

[tex]
[/tex]

where lies your problem?

I see here that you assumed [tex]j^{\mu}_{2} = -q^{\mu}e^{iq\cdot x}[/tex].

Try calling

[tex]j^{\mu}_{2} = -C^{\mu}e^{iq\cdot x}[/tex]

which still works. What this means is that the form of [tex] C^\mu [/tex] is not fixed by these equations.

Hence we'll have to go back to the definition of the Klein-Gordon current to get [tex] C^\mu [/tex]:

[tex]
j_{\mu}^{fi}(x) = -ie(\phi_{f}^{*}(\partial_\mu\phi_i)-(\partial_\mu\phi_f^{*})\phi_i)
[/tex]

Related to Spinless Electron-Muon Scattering (Halzen-Martin)

1. What is Spinless Electron-Muon Scattering?

Spinless Electron-Muon Scattering, also known as Halzen-Martin scattering, is a type of interaction between an electron and a muon that does not involve the spin of the particles. This scattering process is described by the Standard Model of particle physics and is an important tool for studying the fundamental properties of these particles.

2. How does Spinless Electron-Muon Scattering occur?

Spinless Electron-Muon Scattering occurs when an electron and a muon collide and exchange a virtual photon. The interaction between the two particles is mediated by the weak force and can result in the production of other particles, such as neutrinos.

3. What is the significance of Spinless Electron-Muon Scattering in particle physics?

Spinless Electron-Muon Scattering is an important process in particle physics because it allows scientists to test the predictions of the Standard Model. By measuring the scattering cross-section, or likelihood of the particles interacting, scientists can gain insight into the fundamental properties of the electron and muon, such as their electromagnetic and weak charges.

4. How is Spinless Electron-Muon Scattering studied?

Spinless Electron-Muon Scattering is studied using high-energy particle accelerators, such as the Large Hadron Collider (LHC) at CERN. By colliding electrons and muons at high energies, scientists can observe the resulting scattering and measure its properties, such as the scattering angle and momentum transfer.

5. What are the potential applications of Spinless Electron-Muon Scattering?

Spinless Electron-Muon Scattering has several potential applications, including in the development of new technologies and in medical imaging. The study of particle scattering can also help scientists better understand the fundamental forces and building blocks of the universe, leading to advancements in our understanding of the world around us.

Back