Spinning Magnets in Space: Physics & Hydro Generator

• Thread starter grimofdoom
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Spinning
In summary, the spinning magnet won't continue spinning non-stop, and extracting energy from it would only create the same amount of electricity used to respin it again.
grimofdoom
I havnt taken physics in a while and cannot remember much. But i came here to see if an idea i had was possible. The idea is that if you were to spin a magnet in space(becasue from what i remember if you spin an object in space it continues non-stop(i have bad memory though)) you can use the spinning magnet like a hydro generator, to create limitless electrical energy. But first i want to know if you were to spin a magnet in space if(pt1) it will continue to spin non-stop and (pt2) it could be used like a hydro generator were it has coils around it to create electricity. Please answer this if possible.

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Whenever one extracts energy from a system, the energy must (Correction: come from somewhere). In this case, the magnet's spinning will slow down.

Last edited:
Im a little slow,can you explain it a little more?

So, basically, Conservation of Energy implies this energy must come from somewhere. The only place it could come from in this situation is the rotational kinetic energy of the magnet.

Ok,i see now. Thank you.

But if you take part of the gatherd energy to start it up again, it would only create the same amount of electricity used to respin it again?

grimofdoom said:
But if you take part of the gatherd energy to start it up again, it would only create the same amount of electricity used to respin it again?

Actually, due to friction, you'd get less energy back.

But were would the energy from friction go? I know space is cold so the energy from friction would create heat but be gone from the cold of space.

Both motors and generators are basically the same device: rotating electromagnets that convert energy between electrical and mechanical. When you apply electricity to a motor, it rotates. If you want it to produce more torque, it will need more electricity. Generators work the same way: if you want to extract more electrical energy, they will produce a stronger magnetic field, which will require more input torque to counteract.

It surprises me that while most people are aware of how motors work (and don't expect a violation of conservation of energy), this question is very common when it comes to generators.

It would be like using an electric motor to power an electric generator to power the electric motor. It doesn't work. Extracting energy from a motor creates a braking torque on the motor. Drawing energy from a generator also creates a breaking torque on the generator [its just a reverse wired electric motor].

grimofdoom said:
But were would the energy from friction go? I know space is cold so the energy from friction would create heat but be gone from the cold of space.

It would just get dissipated, and while the heat wouldn't have much of an effect on the surroundings, this doesn't affect how much heat energy was released.

The energy is not being dissipated as heat, it is being converted from mechanical (kinetic) to electrical.

russ_watters said:
The energy is not being dissipated as heat, it is being converted from mechanical (kinetic) to electrical.

And the quote I was replying to was asking where the energy from the friction would go.

Related to Spinning Magnets in Space: Physics & Hydro Generator

What is the concept behind spinning magnets in space and how does it relate to physics?

The concept behind spinning magnets in space is based on Faraday's law of electromagnetic induction, which states that a changing magnetic field can induce an electric current in a conductor. In this case, the spinning magnets create a changing magnetic field, which induces a current in the surrounding conductive material. This current can then be used to generate electricity. This concept is closely related to the principles of electromagnetism and the laws of motion in physics.

What are the potential benefits of using spinning magnets in space to generate electricity?

There are several potential benefits of using spinning magnets in space. One is that, in the absence of gravity, the magnets can spin continuously without the need for external energy input, making it a highly efficient process. Additionally, the lack of air resistance in space can allow for higher speeds and greater power output. Furthermore, using spinning magnets in space can provide a sustainable source of electricity without relying on traditional fossil fuels, reducing our carbon footprint.

What challenges are involved in implementing spinning magnets in space as a means of generating electricity?

One of the main challenges is the cost of launching and maintaining the equipment in space, as well as the technology needed to transmit the electricity back to Earth. Another challenge is ensuring the stability and precision of the spinning magnets in the microgravity environment of space. Furthermore, there are potential risks of space debris damaging the equipment, and the need for regular maintenance and repairs in a harsh and remote environment.

How does the design of the hydro generator in a spinning magnet system impact its efficiency?

The design of the hydro generator in a spinning magnet system is crucial to its efficiency. The generator must be designed to convert the kinetic energy of the spinning magnets into electrical energy as efficiently as possible. This involves considerations such as the size and shape of the magnets, the speed of rotation, and the design of the conductive material. The more efficient the design, the greater the power output and the more sustainable and cost-effective the system will be.

What other potential applications could spinning magnets in space have besides electricity generation?

In addition to generating electricity, spinning magnets in space could have other potential applications. These include propelling spacecraft using electromagnetic propulsion, creating artificial gravity on spacecraft or space stations, and conducting experiments in microgravity environments. There is also potential for using spinning magnets in space for data storage and communication, as well as in medical and scientific research. The possibilities for this technology are vast and continue to be explored.