Spivak: Is his how to approach these proofs?

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem set for Chapter one of Spivak's Calculus, specifically focusing on problem 1-(iv) and 1-(vi). While the approach to solving these problems is correct, there is some confusion about the intent and method of solving problem 1-(vi). Ultimately, it is determined that substituting -y for y in (iv) will lead to the desired factorization of x^n+y^n for odd exponents. Additionally, it is noted that this approach will be useful for a problem in chapter two.
Saladsamurai
Hello all :smile:

I have started the problem set for Chapter one (basic properties of numbers) in Spivak's Calculus (self study). I think I am doing these right, but I have some questions.

As a solid example, problem 1-(iv) says to prove the following:

[tex]x^3 - y^3 = (x-y)(x^2+xy+y^2)\qquad(1)[/tex]

My approach was to add and subtract terms to the left hand side of (1) until it could be factored into the desired form:

[tex]\begin{array}{l}
x^3 - y^3 &= x^3 - y^3 + (x^2y - x^2y) + (xy^2 - xy^2) \\
&= x^3 +x^2y+xy^2 - y^3 - x^2y - xy^2 \\
&=x(x^2+xy+y^2)-y(x^2+xy+y^2) \\
&= (x-y)(x^2+xy+y^2)
\end{array}
[/tex]

Now this seems correct to me, but I feel a little guilty because I only knew what to add and subtract to the LHS of (1) because I knew what I was trying to achieve- the RHS of (1).

My second question is similar, but requires some clarifying of Spivak's intent. In problem 1-(vi) he says: Prove the following:

[tex]x^3 + y^3 = (x+y)(x^2-xy+y^2)\qquad(2)[/tex]

Then he says, "There is a particularly easy way to do this, using (iv), and it will show you how to find a factorization of [itex]x^n+y^n[/itex] whenever n is odd."

Well, I solved this one the exact same way I did with (iv) above: I used the right hand side of (2) to infer what terms to add/subtract and obtained the solution. However, the fact that I do not see what he means by the quoted text above leads me to believe that there was some other approach. That is, I have not discovered a way to factorize [itex]x^n+y^n[/itex] whenever n is odd in my procedure.

Any thoughts are appreciated :smile:

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Certainly, if you know (1), you can get (2) by simply substituting -y in for the y.

LCKurtz said:
Certainly, if you know (1), you can get (2) by simply substituting -y in for the y.

Hi LC :smile: Yes. I arrived at the solution, but in particular, I am concerned about my approach as I do not see what he means by

Spivak said:
...and it will show you how to find a factorization of xn+yn whenever n is odd

OK, I see what you mean now. Apparently you need a more clever approach to (1) that easily generalizes to higher odd exponents. I don't know -- I'll think about it if this football game doesn't keep me too distracted. But don't count on me for this one :frown:

Also, I guess that observing that y = x is a root for odd exponents and factoring (y-x) by long division doesn't count?

LCKurtz said:
Also, I guess that observing that y = x is a root for odd exponents and factoring (y-x) by long division doesn't count?

Maybe he made a typo? He says "this can easily be done using (iv)". Maybe he meant (v). In problem (v) we proved that

[tex]
x^n-y^n = (x-y)(x^{n-1} + x^{n-2} y+\dots+xy^{n-2} +y^{n-1} )
[/tex]

Anyway, no big deal! Get back to your game! :smile:

Saladsamurai said:
Maybe he made a typo? He says "this can easily be done using (iv)". Maybe he meant (v). In problem (v) we proved that

[tex]
x^n-y^n = (x-y)(x^{n-1} + x^{n-2} y+\dots+xy^{n-2} +y^{n-1} )
[/tex]

Anyway, no big deal! Get back to your game! :smile:

My thoughts:

Spivak is correct, (vi) can be easily done by (iv) by just substituting -y for y.
This gives you a hint how to obtain the factorization of [itex]x^n+y^n[/itex]. Indeed, take (v) and substitute -y for y again...

micromass said:
My thoughts:

Spivak is correct, (vi) can be easily done by (iv) by just substituting -y for y.
This gives you a hint how to obtain the factorization of [itex]x^n+y^n[/itex]. Indeed, take (v) and substitute -y for y again...

I am pretty sure this is what Spivak intended.

Also note that you don't have to start from the left side for the first one..

(x-y)([itex]x^{2}[/itex]+xy+[itex]y^{2}[/itex])=x([itex]x^{2}[/itex]+xy+[itex]y^{2}[/itex])-y([itex]x^{2}[/itex]+xy+[itex]y^{2}[/itex])=([itex]x^{3}[/itex]+[itex]x^{2}[/itex]y+x[itex]y^{2}[/itex])-([itex]x^{2}[/itex]y+x[itex]y^{2}[/itex]+[itex]y^{3}[/itex])=[itex]x^{3}[/itex]-[itex]y^{3}[/itex]

This approach will come in handy for at least one problem in chapter two, but I will let you figure out which one!

Related to Spivak: Is his how to approach these proofs?

1. What is Spivak's approach to proofs?

Spivak's approach to proofs involves breaking down complex mathematical concepts into smaller, more manageable steps and using logical reasoning to connect these steps and come to a conclusion.

2. How does Spivak explain difficult proofs?

Spivak often uses analogies and real-life examples to explain difficult proofs in a way that is easier to understand. He also breaks down the proof into smaller parts and provides detailed explanations for each step.

3. Is Spivak's approach suitable for beginners?

Spivak's approach may be challenging for beginners, as it requires a strong foundation in mathematics and an understanding of logical reasoning. However, with practice and patience, beginners can also benefit from Spivak's approach to proofs.

4. What makes Spivak's approach unique?

Spivak's approach is unique in that it emphasizes the importance of understanding the concepts behind a proof rather than just memorizing the steps. He encourages readers to think critically and creatively, rather than simply following a set of rules.

5. Can Spivak's approach be applied to other areas of science?

While Spivak's approach is primarily focused on mathematical proofs, the underlying principles of logical reasoning and breaking down complex problems can be applied to other areas of science as well. This approach can be useful in fields such as physics, computer science, and engineering.