Split beam propagation in matlab

In summary, split beam propagation in matlab is a simulation technique used to model the propagation of electromagnetic beams through a medium. It differs from other propagation techniques by taking into account the interaction of the beam with the medium. This technique has various applications such as optical imaging, laser beam shaping, and beam steering, and can be complex but easily implemented with the use of appropriate algorithms. Matlab is advantageous for split beam propagation due to its efficient computation capabilities, extensive library of functions, and user-friendly interface.
russel.arnold
Hi

i have to write the split beam propagation program in matlab. My medium is 5*5*5 (in mm each). I have to consider the propagation in z direction. I have divided my spatial coordinates(bot x,y) in 64 parts and represented them as a 1x64 matrix. So, I have defined the gaussian beam in the form of a 64x64 matrix and plotted it.Till then it is fine. Now when it propagates, it will suffer diffraction as well as nonliearity(which in my case is 1D periodic refractive index structure). Now the diffraction is calculated in k space.

so my question is..HOW WILL I CHOOSE THE FREQUENCY AXIS( Kx and Ky), given x, y matrix.. Again they should be 1x64 matrix each. But how will i decide there values?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi there,

It sounds like you have an interesting problem. I'm not an expert in Matlab programming, but you might want to look into a Fourier transform to help you decide the frequency axis for your kx and ky matrix. There are plenty of resources online that can help guide you through the process. Good luck!

FAQ: Split beam propagation in matlab

1. What is split beam propagation in matlab?

Split beam propagation in matlab is a simulation technique used to model the propagation of electromagnetic beams through a medium. It involves dividing the beam into smaller sections and analyzing the changes in its properties as it travels through the medium, such as diffraction, refraction, and reflection.

2. How does split beam propagation differ from other propagation techniques?

Split beam propagation differs from other propagation techniques in that it takes into account the interaction of the beam with the medium, rather than simply tracing its path. This allows for a more realistic and accurate simulation of how the beam will behave in a given environment.

3. What are the applications of split beam propagation in matlab?

Split beam propagation in matlab has a wide range of applications, including optical imaging, laser beam shaping, and beam steering in optical systems. It is also commonly used in the design and optimization of optical devices such as lenses, prisms, and mirrors.

4. Is split beam propagation a complex process?

Split beam propagation in matlab can be complex, depending on the specific parameters and conditions of the simulation. However, with the use of appropriate algorithms and tools, it can be easily implemented and customized to fit different scenarios and research goals.

5. What are the advantages of using matlab for split beam propagation?

There are several advantages to using matlab for split beam propagation, including its efficient and powerful numerical computation capabilities, its extensive library of built-in functions and algorithms, and its user-friendly interface that allows for easy visualization and analysis of data and results.