Spontaneous application for summer internships/jobs

In summary, the conversation discusses the options for finding internships or jobs for the summer if plan A does not work out. The speaker suggests reaching out to companies directly rather than waiting for listings. They also provide a link to the top 25 paying internship programs in programming and engineering. The conversation ends with the speaker offering additional links and inquiring about the type of work and region the person is looking for.
Gauss M.D.
I'm considering applying for some internship/job this summer if my plan A doesn't pan out. Listings are utterly sparse, though. I'm sure there are opportunities out there, but from what I've heard, the smartest thing to do is contact the companies you're interested in directly instead of sitting idly by waiting for a listing.

But what's the best way to do it? Do you just e-mail the HR dept listed on the website? What would you say? Should I ask "is there anything for me? If so, I'll send my CV", or should I just get down to business and attach it straight away?

All opinions welcome!

Physics news on Phys.org
Look at the companies' websites. They usually have a 'careers' section that also lists internship opportunities. In case you are considering finances, these are the top 25 paying internship programs, mainly based in programming, big data, and a few engineering ones: http://www.glassdoor.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/25-Highest-Paying-Companies-for-Interns.png

If you want some more help after that (go to their websites, check out the internship opportunities), PM me. I have more links.
Edit: Noticed you're in physics. Here's one of my ~25 links: https://ed.fnal.gov/interns/programs/

Last edited by a moderator:
What kind of work are you looking to do this summer and in what region?

Should've mentioned - I'm in northern Europe. Would like something in engineering (electrical/mechanical) or programming.

I highly recommend taking a proactive approach when it comes to finding internships or jobs. It is important to reach out to companies directly, rather than solely relying on job listings. This shows initiative and determination, which are valuable qualities in the scientific field.

When contacting a company, it is best to start by researching the company and their current projects. This will give you a better understanding of their work and how your skills and interests align with their needs. You can then reach out to the HR department or a specific contact within the company, introducing yourself and expressing your interest in their work. It is always a good idea to attach your CV and any relevant materials, such as a cover letter or portfolio.

In your communication, it is important to be professional and concise. Clearly state your intentions and qualifications, and ask if they have any available internships or job opportunities. You can also mention that you are open to any potential opportunities that may arise in the future. It is important to be polite and respectful, as you are essentially asking for their time and consideration.

Furthermore, networking can also be a valuable tool in finding internships or jobs. Attend industry events, conferences, and workshops to connect with professionals in your field. This can lead to potential opportunities or even recommendations for positions within a company.

Overall, the key is to be proactive and persistent in your search for internships or jobs. Don't be afraid to reach out to companies directly and showcase your skills and enthusiasm. Good luck in your search!

Related to Spontaneous application for summer internships/jobs

1. What is a spontaneous application for summer internships/jobs?

A spontaneous application is when an individual applies for an internship or job without a specific job posting or advertisement. This means that the individual is expressing interest in a company or organization and is hoping for an available position to be offered.

2. How can I make my spontaneous application stand out?

To make your application stand out, it is important to tailor your resume and cover letter to the specific company or organization you are applying to. Highlight relevant skills and experiences, and show enthusiasm for the company and their work. It may also be helpful to reach out to a contact within the company to express your interest and inquire about potential opportunities.

3. Is a spontaneous application as effective as applying for a specific job posting?

It can be just as effective, if not more so, as it shows initiative and genuine interest in the company or organization. However, it is important to note that there may not always be available positions at the time of your application, so it is recommended to also apply for specific job postings.

4. What should I include in my spontaneous application?

Your application should include a well-written cover letter expressing your interest in the company and why you would like to work there, as well as a resume highlighting your relevant skills and experiences. You may also consider including a portfolio or work samples, if applicable.

5. How far in advance should I submit a spontaneous application for a summer internship/job?

It is recommended to submit your application as soon as you become aware of the company or organization, as positions may be filled quickly. It is also a good idea to follow up with the company after a few weeks if you have not heard back, to express your continued interest and inquire about any potential opportunities.