Spring Balance: Mass or Weight? Clearing Out Confusion

In summary, the conversation revolves around the difference between mass and weight and the confusion surrounding the use of spring balances to measure weight. The participants discuss the fact that a spring balance measures weight, not mass, and how it displays the weight in units of kilograms. They also mention the use of Newtons balances to measure weight in different planets and how traditional scales used in doctor's offices may not be consistent with units and actual measurement. Finally, the conversation ends with a discussion on the use of triple beam balances to accurately measure mass regardless of changes in gravity.
Peter G.
By definition, the difference between Mass and Weight is easy to comprehend. However, I am really confused, confused to the level I feel like ripping all the hair out of my head, with spring balances:

After researching a lot, I think that as I step on a spring balance the spring will extend according to my weight, the force I'm exerting on it (Hooke's Law F = kx). For example, I "weigh" 70 kg, so as I step on the balance, the spring will extend by a certain amount which is correspondent to 700N.

But it does not display 700N. It displays 70 KG. Does that mean that the balance divides my mass by 10 (the pull of gravity) and displays my MASS.

Please, can someone help me clear out what a balance actually displays?

Physics news on Phys.org
If it displays kg, then it is measuring your mass. Meaning that it is reducing the actual value by the factor of 'g' (acceleration due to gravity).

Ok thanks a lot :approve:

So if I wanted to check my weight in different planets I would be better off with a Newtons balance!

rock.freak667 said:
If it displays kg, then it is measuring your mass. Meaning that it is reducing the actual value by the factor of 'g' (acceleration due to gravity).
Aa spring scale does not measure your mass. Take a perfect spring scale to Nome Alaska and then to the Mauna Kea Observatory. Put an object of a known mass, say 100 lbm on the scale, and the scale will register 100.16 pounds in Alaska but only 99.66 pounds in Hawaii.

D H said:
Aa spring scale does not measure your mass. Take a perfect spring scale to Nome Alaska and then to the Mauna Kea Observatory. Put an object of a known mass, say 100 lbm on the scale, and the scale will register 100.16 pounds in Alaska but only 99.66 pounds in Hawaii.

I meant the actual display scale itself will show the mass and not the value of 'mg'.

Peter G. said:
Please, can someone help me clear out what a balance actually displays?

I think you would have to look at the detailed design of the scale to know exactly what is displayed. Is the design a simple mechanical design with no electronics, or a microprossessor controlled unit with electronic display?

If it's a simple mechnanical system, then the measurement is a force measurement which means the measurement is weight with a scale factor used to convert to mass, assuming an average value of g.

If it's a modern scale with microprocessor and electronics, then you don't really know. It might be very similar to the mechanical system with force measurement and simple unit conversions. However, there is nothing to prevent a manufacturer from installing an inexpensive accelerometer into the scale to measure g and use the measured value in the unit conversion. In this case, the system is trying to measure true mass and is properly displaying the units of kg. The benefit of this latter approach is that errors due to small angle offsets in your floor can be calibrated out of the measurement.

There has been a long-standing issue that scales for measuring human body weight/mass are not necessarily consistent with units and actual measurement. In the old days, a doctor's counter balance scale in the US typically would give a reading only in pounds (although the kg scale is also provided in recent years). Of course, a counter balance measures mass, so the system was (and still is, if you look only at the pound reading) inconsistent. And, as you see, a simple spring system may measure weight, but display in kg which is also inconsistent.

Last edited:
If you are referring to a conventional spring scale with the "actual display scale", then you cannot simply convert it to Newtons. A spring scale's weight 'value' is entirely dependent on gravity. If you went to the moon, for instance, a spring scale would show a smaller value due to the fact that less Newtons are being pressed down on it. A method which generally is used as an example of how mass WOULD be obtained correctly on any "planet", as you said, is the triple beam balance. This uses objects of a known mass, then determines how many of them are needed to weigh an equal amount as whatever happens to be on the other side. Because both objects are effected by the change in gravity, any change in gravity can be safely ignored. One example of a triple beam balance that you might recognize is the one the doctor uses to measure your weight, with the multiple metal sliders. Hope this helps!

Related to Spring Balance: Mass or Weight? Clearing Out Confusion

1. What is a spring balance?

A spring balance, also known as a spring scale, is a type of weighing scale that measures the weight or mass of an object by the force of a spring. It works on the principle of Hooke's law, which states that the force applied by a spring is directly proportional to the distance it is stretched or compressed.

2. How does a spring balance measure weight or mass?

A spring balance measures weight or mass by using a spring that expands or contracts depending on the weight of the object. The scale is calibrated to show the weight or mass in units such as grams, kilograms, or pounds. When an object is placed on the scale, the spring stretches or compresses, and the scale displays the corresponding weight or mass.

3. Is a spring balance accurate for measuring weight or mass?

Spring balances are generally accurate for measuring weight or mass, but their accuracy can vary depending on the quality and calibration of the scale. The accuracy also depends on the sensitivity of the spring, which can be affected by factors like temperature and wear and tear.

4. Can a spring balance measure both weight and mass?

Yes, a spring balance measures both weight and mass. Weight is a measure of the force of gravity acting on an object, while mass is a measure of the amount of matter in an object. Since a spring balance measures the force applied by the spring, it can measure both weight and mass.

5. Are there any limitations to using a spring balance for measuring weight or mass?

While spring balances can provide accurate measurements, there are some limitations to using them for measuring weight or mass. They may not be suitable for measuring very heavy objects, as the spring may not be sensitive enough to accurately measure large forces. Additionally, external factors like air resistance and the positioning of the object on the scale can also affect the accuracy of the measurement.