Spring compression as a launcher and velocity at a certain point

In summary: So, using the energy conservation equation, you'd get v=3.7m/s at the spring's compression limit. So, the puck will reach C with a velocity of 3.7m/s.
pech0706

Homework Statement

A game uses a spring launcher to shoot a puck with mass of 0.5kg along a frictionless track as shown in the diagram. The spring has a k value of 600 N/m. By how much does the spring need to be compressed to launch the puck and have it go around the inside of the loop without falling off (ignore any spin of the puck)? What is the velocity of the puck as it reaches point C?

Homework Equations

a=v2/R
v2=gR
1/2mvo2=1/2mvB2+mgh

The Attempt at a Solution

I could not figure out how to solve this problem. I got v=2.2m/s using the second equation.
Thats all the farther i got.

Attachments

• physics.png
    physics.png
    2.2 KB · Views: 509
Physics news on Phys.org
pech0706 said:

Homework Statement

A game uses a spring launcher to shoot a puck with mass of 0.5kg along a frictionless track as shown in the diagram. The spring has a k value of 600 N/m. By how much does the spring need to be compressed to launch the puck and have it go around the inside of the loop without falling off (ignore any spin of the puck)? What is the velocity of the puck as it reaches point C?

Homework Equations

a=v2/R
v2=gR
1/2mvo2=1/2mvB2+mgh

The Attempt at a Solution

I could not figure out how to solve this problem. I got v=2.2m/s using the second equation.
Thats all the farther i got.

OK. So, you have the initial speed using conservation of energy. (I'm not sure if the numerical result is correct, but if you show your calculation, I'll check.)

Now use conservation of energy again, to find the initial potential energy in the spring. You should be able to get to the answer from there.

i used v2=gR to find the v at B. then i used that in the energy conservation equation and got vo to be 5.85. and i know that the Vo=Vc, so do those numbers look right?

All looks good to me.

Now, like I said, using conservation of energy you should be able to find the compression of the spring using the information you now have.

I would approach this problem by first identifying the relevant equations and variables. From the given information, we can use the equations for centripetal acceleration (a=v^2/R) and gravitational potential energy (PE=mgh) to find the velocity and height of the puck at point C. We can also use the conservation of energy equation (KEi + PEi = KEf + PEf) to find the initial velocity of the puck at point A.

To find the required spring compression, we can use the equation for potential energy stored in a spring (PEs=1/2kx^2) and set it equal to the potential energy of the puck at point A (PE=mgh). Solving for x, we can find the amount of compression needed for the spring.

Using the given mass and k value, we can then plug in the values for x and solve for the velocity of the puck at point C using the equation v=sqrt(2gh). This will give us the velocity of the puck at the top of the loop.

However, to ensure that the puck does not fall off the loop, we also need to consider the minimum velocity required for circular motion at the top of the loop. This can be found using the equation v=sqrt(gR). If the velocity at point C is greater than this minimum velocity, then the puck will remain on the loop.

In conclusion, by using the relevant equations and considering the conditions for circular motion, we can determine the required spring compression and velocity of the puck at point C in order for it to successfully go around the loop without falling off.

Related to Spring compression as a launcher and velocity at a certain point

1. What is spring compression and how does it work as a launcher?

Spring compression is the displacement of a spring from its original, relaxed state. This displacement is achieved by applying a force to compress the spring. When the compressed spring is released, it exerts a force in the opposite direction, propelling an object forward. This mechanism is commonly used in devices such as slingshots and toy guns.

2. How does spring compression affect the velocity of an object?

The velocity of an object launched by a spring depends on the amount of compression applied to the spring. The more the spring is compressed, the greater the force it exerts and the higher the velocity of the launched object will be. However, other factors such as the mass of the object and any external forces also play a role in determining the velocity.

3. Is there a formula to calculate the velocity of an object launched by a spring?

Yes, there is a formula to calculate the velocity of an object launched by a spring. It is given by the equation v = √(kx^2 / m), where v is the velocity, k is the spring constant, x is the compression distance, and m is the mass of the launched object. This formula assumes that there are no external forces acting on the object and that the spring's potential energy is fully converted into kinetic energy.

4. Can the velocity of an object launched by a spring be controlled?

Yes, the velocity of an object launched by a spring can be controlled by adjusting the amount of compression applied to the spring. The greater the compression, the higher the velocity will be. Additionally, the mass of the launched object can also be changed to affect the velocity. Other factors such as the type of spring and any external forces may also impact the velocity.

5. How does the compression distance of a spring affect the velocity of a launched object?

The compression distance of a spring directly affects the velocity of a launched object. As the compression distance increases, the potential energy stored in the spring also increases. This results in a greater force being exerted on the launched object, leading to a higher velocity. However, there is a limit to how much the compression distance can affect the velocity, as other factors such as the mass of the object also play a role.