Spring Compression at kinetic energy = 0

In summary: Use the conservation of energyto find x, the distance the spring is compressed in this situation.In summary, a block of mass 2.51 kg is placed on an inclined plane of angle θ = 20.0° with a spring of force constant k = 460 N/m fastened at the bottom. The block is projected downward with a speed of 0.750 m/s and comes to rest at a distance of 0.324 m from the spring. By using the conservation of energy and considering the change in gravitational potential energy, the distance the spring is compressed is found to be approximately 0.122 meters.
Abid Rizvi

Homework Statement

An inclined plane of angle θ = 20.0° has a spring of force constant k = 460 N/m fastened securely at the bottom so that the spring is parallel to the surface as shown in the figure below. A block of mass m = 2.51 kg is placed on the plane at a distance d = 0.324 m from the spring. From this position, the block is projected downward toward the spring with speed v = 0.750 m/s. By what distance is the spring compressed when the block momentarily comes to rest?

Homework Equations

K = 1/2 mv^2
Elastic Potential energy of spring = 1/2 kx^2

The Attempt at a Solution

So first I found the acceleration of the object:
gsin(θ) = a

Then I found the velocity of the mass at the time it hits the spring
d = vt +1/2 at^2
t is about .269593
so velocity when the object hits the spring = v+at which is about 1.654

Then I had: 1/2 mv^2 = 1/2 kx^2
solving for x, I got about 0.122 meters
However, the website to send the answer says I'm wrong. I have looked this up online, and I have substituted my values into other peoples equations and I still get 0.122
Thanks in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
Think of the change of gravitational potential energy while the spring is being compressed.

ehild

Last edited:
Consider the involved energies - kinetic and potential energy of the block and the energy stored in the compressed spring.

Okay so gravitational potential energy is mgy. Would y just be the distance of the object to the spring, or would it be the distance plus x (the distance the spring compressed). So either:
mg(d+x) + 1/2 mv^2 = 1/2 kx^2
or
mg(d) + 1/2 mv^2 = 1/2 kx^2

Abid Rizvi said:
Okay so gravitational potential energy is mgy. Would y just be the distance of the object to the spring, or would it be the distance plus x (the distance the spring compressed). So either:
mg(d+x) + 1/2 mv^2 = 1/2 kx^2
or
mg(d) + 1/2 mv^2 = 1/2 kx^2
Neither. It is the vertical distance the mass travels from initial to final position (maximum compression in this case).

Um, but isn't d+x the initial position to the position of maximum compression?

Okay I got it!
mg*sin(theta) * (d+x) + 1/2 mv^2 = 1/2 kx^2 works.
Thank you guys for all of your help!

That's correct, yes.
The gravitational potential energy and the kinetic energy at the top
is converted to the stored elastic enregy of the spring when the block
comes momentarily to rest at the bottom.

Related to Spring Compression at kinetic energy = 0

1. What is spring compression at kinetic energy = 0?

Spring compression at kinetic energy = 0 refers to the point at which an object attached to a spring has come to a complete stop and the spring is fully compressed. This means that all of the object's kinetic energy has been transferred to the spring as potential energy.

2. How is spring compression at kinetic energy = 0 calculated?

To calculate spring compression at kinetic energy = 0, you can use the formula PE = 1/2kx^2, where PE is the potential energy, k is the spring constant, and x is the spring compression distance. Set the initial kinetic energy to 0 and solve for x to find the spring compression distance.

3. What factors affect spring compression at kinetic energy = 0?

The factors that affect spring compression at kinetic energy = 0 include the mass of the object, the spring constant, and the initial velocity of the object. A heavier object or a stiffer spring will result in a greater spring compression distance.

4. Can spring compression at kinetic energy = 0 be negative?

No, spring compression at kinetic energy = 0 cannot be negative. This is because at this point, all of the object's kinetic energy has been transferred to the spring as potential energy, and the spring is fully compressed. Any further movement of the object would result in an increase in potential energy and a decrease in spring compression.

5. How does spring compression at kinetic energy = 0 relate to the conservation of energy?

Spring compression at kinetic energy = 0 is an example of the conservation of energy principle, which states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transferred or transformed. At this point, all of the object's kinetic energy has been transformed into potential energy in the spring, demonstrating the conservation of energy.

Back