Spring Force and kinetic energy

In summary: If the mass is increased by 100g from its lowest point to the equilibrium position, what will be the new KE?KE = (.05)(m)(v)^2 +mghKE = (.05)(m)(v)^2 +100gh
CMATT
A novelty clock has a 0.0109 kg mass object bouncing on a spring that has a force constant of 1.34 N/m.

How many joules of kinetic energy does the object have at its maximum velocity if the object bounces 3.49 cm above and below its equilibrium position?

Physics news on Phys.org
CMATT said:
A novelty clock has a 0.0109 kg mass object bouncing on a spring that has a force constant of 1.34 N/m.

How many joules of kinetic energy does the object have at its maximum velocity if the object bounces 3.49 cm above and below its equilibrium position?
This sounds like a homework question.

haruspex said:
This sounds like a homework question.
It is, I think I put it in the homework forum, I didn't know that was a thing until after I posted this

CMATT said:

Ive done (.05)(force constant)(mass)^2 and I still haven't gotten the correct answer.
Anyone know how to get it?! Please show me :(

CMATT said:
Ive done (.05)(force constant)(mass)^2 and I still haven't gotten the correct answer.
Anyone know how to get it?! Please show me :(
Mass2? Where did that come from? This is not gravitational attraction.

haruspex said:
Mass2? Where did that come from? This is not gravitational attraction.

(.05)(k)(m)^2 isn't an equation? first I was doing (.05)(k)(m), got it wrong, and then my friend said to square the mass, however it is still wrong

CMATT said:
(.05)(k)(m)^2 isn't an equation? first I was doing (.05)(k)(m), got it wrong, and then my friend said to square the mass, however it is still wrong
Oh dear.
Look up your notes, or some websites. What is the law for the force in a stretched (or compressed) spring? What is the equation for the potential energy?

haruspex said:
Oh dear.
Look up your notes, or some websites. What is the law for the force in a stretched (or compressed) spring? What is the equation for the potential energy?

I know KE = (.05)(m)(v)^2
KE = (.05)(m)(v)^2 +mgh

Spring PE = (.05)(k)(x)^2
x: the distance?
k: force constant

CMATT said:
I know KE = (.05)(m)(v)^2
KE = (.05)(m)(v)^2 +mgh

Spring PE = (.05)(k)(x)^2
x: the distance?
k: force constant
Yes, much better.
Suppose that the spring extension is A at the equilibrium position, and the amplitude of oscillation is A (=3.49cm, but keep all the working symbolic for now).
What will be conserved as the mass rises from its lowest point to the equilibrium position? Can you write that as an equation?

Those are probably just typos but you need to fix (.05) to (0.5) in both equations.

gmax137 said:
Those are probably just typos but you need to fix (.05) to (0.5) in both equations.
Well spotted.

Related to Spring Force and kinetic energy

1. What is spring force?

Spring force is a type of force that occurs when a spring is compressed or stretched. It is a restorative force that acts in the opposite direction of the displacement of the spring.

2. How does spring force affect an object's kinetic energy?

When a spring is compressed or stretched, it stores potential energy. This potential energy is then converted into kinetic energy as the spring returns to its original shape. Therefore, spring force can increase or decrease an object's kinetic energy.

3. What is the relationship between spring force and displacement?

The relationship between spring force and displacement is described by Hooke's Law, which states that the force exerted by a spring is directly proportional to the displacement of the spring from its equilibrium position. This means that the greater the displacement, the greater the spring force.

4. Can spring force be negative?

Yes, spring force can be negative. This occurs when the displacement of the spring is in the opposite direction of the force, resulting in a force that acts in the opposite direction. For example, if a spring is stretched to the left, the spring force will be negative, pulling the spring back to the right.

5. How is spring force related to the stiffness of a spring?

Spring force is directly proportional to the stiffness of a spring. A stiffer spring will require more force to be compressed or stretched compared to a less stiff spring, resulting in a greater spring force.