Spring, Mass , Dumper system. Dumper Value.

In summary, the conversation is about a problem involving a Spring, Mass, and Damper system, which the person is trying to solve using the transmissibility equation. However, there is no given mass, making it difficult to find the natural frequency. The other option is to use the dynamic equation and find the transfer function, but the unknown mass is still an issue. The person considers assuming a convenient value for the mass or assuming the system is in resonance due to a low damper value, but neither option seems viable. The conversation ends with the person expressing frustration at not having enough data to solve the problem.
Bluesky1
Spring, Mass , Damper system. Damper Value.

Homework Statement

Hi,

I have a problem with first question from site below:
http://engineeronadisk.com/V2/notes_courses/engineeronadisk-91.html#pgfId-521824

The Attempt at a Solution

I was trying to solve it using transmissibility equation but there is no mass so I can't find a natural frequency.

Transmissibility is in this case 0.01% because the isolation required is 99.9%.

T= sqrt {[1+4*d^2*(f/f0)^2]/[(1-(f/f0)^2)^2 + 4*d^2*(f/f0)^2]}

d- damper value
f- frequency which is 100Hz
f0- natural frequency

The other way is to use dynamic equation and then find transfer function:

dynamic equation: cx' + kx = M x''

but the Mass is unknown and it's the problem.

Please help

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I believe you are correct - you need the mass, and there is no way to absorb it into the value of the damping coefficient. I guess you could proceed by assuming some convenient value for the mass.

Gokul43201 said:
I believe you are correct - you need the mass, and there is no way to absorb it into the value of the damping coefficient. I guess you could proceed by assuming some convenient value for the mass.

Thanks for answer,

The other way that i was trying to assume that system is in resonance because of low damper value, but 100Hz of forcing frequency doesn't need to be natural frequency.:(

First question when I have started to practice and I found without enough data.

Ehhh I'm lucky :cool:

FAQ: Spring, Mass , Dumper system. Dumper Value.

1. What is a spring-mass-damper system?

A spring-mass-damper system is a mechanical system that consists of a mass, a spring, and a damper. The mass represents the object being moved, the spring provides the restoring force, and the damper dissipates energy in the system.

2. How does the damping coefficient affect the behavior of a spring-mass-damper system?

The damping coefficient determines the amount of resistance or damping force in the system. A higher damping coefficient leads to faster dissipation of energy and a quicker return to equilibrium, while a lower damping coefficient results in slower oscillations.

3. What is the equation of motion for a spring-mass-damper system?

The equation of motion for a spring-mass-damper system is given by m * x'' + c * x' + k * x = F(t), where m is the mass, c is the damping coefficient, k is the spring constant, x is the displacement of the mass, and F(t) is the external force acting on the system.

4. How do you determine the damping ratio and natural frequency of a spring-mass-damper system?

The damping ratio (ζ) and natural frequency (ωn) can be calculated using the following equations: ζ = c / (2 * √(m * k)) and ωn = √(k / m). The damping ratio represents the amount of damping in the system, while the natural frequency is a measure of the system's oscillation frequency.

5. How do you choose the appropriate damping coefficient for a spring-mass-damper system?

The appropriate damping coefficient for a spring-mass-damper system depends on the desired behavior of the system. A higher damping coefficient can provide faster settling time and better stability, while a lower damping coefficient can result in larger oscillations and longer settling time. The optimal damping coefficient should be chosen based on the specific application and performance requirements.