Spring Oscillations Problem Question

In summary, as part of your job at a medical forensics lab, you are investigating an accident at a commuter railroad station. The safety system at the end of the track used a large horizontal spring to prevent a passenger car from crashing into the station platform. To determine the cause of passenger injuries, you need to know the frequency and amplitude of the car's oscillation after it hit the spring, based on the specifications of the car, the spring, and the car's speed. By relating the general equation of oscillation to aspects of the picture and using the equation for finding the period and V/A, you can find the frequency and amplitude algebraically. However, there may be some confusion in understanding how the professor found the value of
GoGoGadget

Homework Statement

You have a job at a medical forensics lab investigating an accident at a commuter railroad station. Your task is to determine the response of the safety system that prevented a railroad car from crashing into the station. Because the brakes on the passenger car failed, it could not stop. The safety system at the end of the track was a large horizontal spring with a hook that grabbed onto the car when it hit preventing the car from crashing into the station platform. To determine the cause of passenger injuries, you want to know the frequency and amplitude of the car's oscillation after it hit the spring based on the specifications of the passenger car, the specifications of the spring, and the speed of the passenger car.

Homework Equations

See attached document.

The Attempt at a Solution

See attached document for full problem with solution. It was an example my professor gave. I'm unsure though of how you would find the amplitiude (A) and frequency (f) in the final equation though. I understand the differential equations to it but I didn't understand my professor's problem solving method for the final part of the problem. In the attached document, he relates the general equation of oscillation x = a Sin (bt + c) to aspects of the picture and finds equations for the unknown to finally find everything algebraically. My question, for how he finds b, he takes V/A of the problem. I really didn't understand that. I know b typically relates to frequency but I'm not understanding what he did with the V/A part of the problem. Otherwise, for f, it looked like he took the equation for finding the period (T), with equation T = 1/2TT to incorporate it into finding the frequency for the problem. If anyone would be able to take a look at this to provide input, it'd be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• Spring Oscillation Problem.jpg
    Spring Oscillation Problem.jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 662
Physics news on Phys.org
You're ok with the equation for v(t), right? And that the max value of that is A√(k/m)? And that this must equal V?

Related to Spring Oscillations Problem Question

1. What is a spring oscillation problem?

A spring oscillation problem is a type of physics problem that involves a spring attached to a mass that is oscillating back and forth. The goal of the problem is generally to determine the position, velocity, or acceleration of the mass at a given point in time.

2. How do you calculate the period of a spring oscillation?

The period of a spring oscillation can be calculated using the formula T = 2π√(m/k), where T is the period in seconds, m is the mass attached to the spring in kilograms, and k is the spring constant in Newtons per meter.

3. What is the difference between simple harmonic motion and damped harmonic motion?

Simple harmonic motion occurs when a mass attached to a spring oscillates back and forth without any external forces acting on it. Damped harmonic motion, on the other hand, involves an external force, such as friction, that causes the amplitude of the oscillation to decrease over time.

4. How does changing the mass or spring constant affect the spring oscillation?

Changing the mass attached to the spring will affect the period of the oscillation, with a heavier mass resulting in a longer period. Changing the spring constant will affect the frequency of the oscillation, with a higher spring constant resulting in a higher frequency and shorter period.

5. How can the energy of a spring oscillation problem be calculated?

The total energy of a spring oscillation problem can be calculated using the formula E = 1/2kA^2, where E is the energy in Joules, k is the spring constant in Newtons per meter, and A is the amplitude of the oscillation in meters.

Back