Spring pendulum with friction (Lagrange?)

In summary, the dissipative forces in the equations of motion require the addition of a dissipation function.
Nick89

Homework Statement

Consider a pendulum with a spring as in the following diagram:
2ro6obb.jpg

Please note the 'rotated' coordinates.
The bob has a mass [itex]m[/itex]. The spring has a spring constant [itex]k[/itex] and an unextended length [itex]\ell[/itex]. We can not ignore air friction.

Assume the initial velocity and horizontal displacement are parallel, so that the motion of the pendulum is in the plane. It is not a 'spherical' pendulum.

I need to show that the equations of motion satisfy the following:
[tex]m\left( r'' - r (\theta ')^2 \right) + cr' + k(r-\ell) = mg \cos \theta[/tex]
[tex]m \left( r \theta '' + 2 r' \theta ' \right) + cr \theta ' = - mg \sin \theta[/tex]

Homework Equations

The forces on the bob are the force of gravity, the spring force and the air friction:
[tex]\mathbf{F}_g = mg \mathbf{\hat{i}}[/tex]
[tex]\mathbf{F}_s = -k \left(r - \ell \right) \mathbf{\hat{e_r}}[/tex]
[tex]\mathbf{F}_f = -c \mathbf{r}'[/tex]
(where c is a positive friction coefficient)

The Attempt at a Solution

I can use the Lagrangian to find the equations of motion, but I don't have a clue what to do with the friction force..??

Using the Lagrangian, the kinetic energy T is:
[tex]T = \frac{1}{2} m v^2 = \frac{1}{2} m (x' ^2 + y'^2) = \frac{1}{2} m \left[ (r')^2 + r^2 (\theta ')^2\right][/tex]

The potential V is the sum of the gravitational potential V_g, the spring potential V_s, and...? Frictional potential? I don't think I can write the frictional force as a potential, can I?
Anyway:
[tex]V = -mgr \cos \theta + \frac{1}{2}k(r-\ell)^2 + ...?[/tex]

[tex]L = T - V = \frac{1}{2} m \left[ (r')^2 + r^2 (\theta ')^2\right] +mgr \cos \theta - \frac{1}{2}k(r-\ell)^2[/tex]

For r, we have:
[tex]\frac{\partial}{\partial t}\left( \frac{\partial L}{\partial r'} \right) = \frac{\partial L}{\partial r}[/tex]
From this I get:
[tex]m\left( r'' - r (\theta ')^2 \right) + k(r-\ell) = mg \cos \theta[/tex]

For theta, we have:
[tex]\frac{\partial}{\partial t}\left( \frac{\partial L}{\partial \theta '} \right) = \frac{\partial L}{\partial \theta}[/tex]
And I get:
[tex]m \left( r \theta '' + 2 r' \theta ' \right) = - mg \sin \theta[/tex]

So as expected, I get the correct equations, without the frictional terms...

How can I calculate the frictional terms? Can I use the Lagrangian, or do I have to use normal force analysis? It doesn't make sense in my mind to use both the Lagrangian and force analysis... ?

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
In the case of dissipative forces, the Lagrangian is unchanged. However, the Euler-Lagrange equation changes.

The Euler-Lagrange equation is typically derived by extremizing the action:

[tex]\delta S = \delta\int{L(x, \dot x)} dt = 0[/tex]

However, another equivalent starting point is the "[URL principle[/URL], which states that the virtual work done by a system is 0.

The derivation from then on is relatively involved (Goldstein 3Ed pg16 - pg24), but one finds that if we assume that the force is conservative, we get the usual Euler-Lagrange equation. However, if we assume that the force has conservative and dissipative terms, we find out that the Euler-Lagrange equation equation needs to be modified by adding a dissipation function.

The results are summarized in this "www.phys.uri.edu/~gerhard/PHY520/mln9.pdf"[/URL].

In the end, what all this really means is just

[tex]\frac{d}{dt}\left(\frac{\partial L}{\partial \dot q_j}\right) - \frac{\partial L}{\partial q_j} = Q_j[/tex]

, where [tex]Q_j[/tex] is the dissipative force. Which is probably not surprising at all.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks, got it!

FAQ: Spring pendulum with friction (Lagrange?)

1. What is a spring pendulum with friction?

A spring pendulum with friction is a physical system that consists of a mass attached to a spring, which is in turn attached to a fixed point, and is subject to frictional forces. This system exhibits oscillatory motion due to the interplay between the spring force and the frictional force.

2. How does a spring pendulum with friction behave?

A spring pendulum with friction exhibits damped oscillations, meaning that the amplitude of the oscillations decreases over time due to the dissipative nature of friction. The system also experiences a phase shift, where the oscillations are slightly behind the idealized, frictionless case.

3. What is the role of Lagrange equations in analyzing a spring pendulum with friction?

The Lagrange equations are a set of equations that can be used to model the dynamics of a system, taking into account its configuration and the forces acting on it. In the case of a spring pendulum with friction, the Lagrange equations allow us to derive the equations of motion and study the behavior of the system over time.

4. How does friction affect the period of a spring pendulum with friction?

Friction has a dampening effect on the oscillations of a spring pendulum with friction, causing the period (the time it takes for one complete oscillation) to increase. This is because the frictional force acts as a resistive force, slowing down the motion of the pendulum.

5. Can a spring pendulum with friction be used in real-world applications?

Yes, spring pendulums with friction can be used in various real-world applications, such as in shock absorbers and vibration isolation systems. These systems use the principles of a spring pendulum with friction to dissipate energy and reduce oscillations, making them useful in engineering and technology.