Spring Positioning on a Cantilever beam

In summary, you are having trouble solving a problem involving a cantilever with a point load and a spring attached to it at an unknown position. You use superposition to solve the problem and get the distance of the spring from one end.
HawksOkeyoJr
Hallo guy,
I hope its not asking too much, but i really need help with this, Urgently.
I have a cantilever, with point load P=100 at the end tip.
A spring(K=500) attached to the cantilever perpendicularly at UNKNOWN position.
I KNOW the deflection at the end tip. and the rest of the parameters, the only thing UNKNOWN is the POSITION where i can place this spring to generate the known deflection at the tip.
Can somebody help me formulate a formula which can help me get this position.
I will appreciate your help guyz, am really stuck on this.
I hope its well understood, if not, i can generate a drawing and attach it.
Thank you guyz.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Urgent or not, is this coursework?

If so post your efforts so far in the homework forums.

You should be able to find an expression for the distance of the spring from one end (call it s) and solve the expression for s.

Hints, there are several ways to do this - the cantilever is propped and therefore statically indeterminate.
You can use direct force methods to solve the beam equations or use indirect energy methods.

Thank you, i will do that next time.
The cantilever is fixed at the far end and the force is at the tip, the spring should lie and attached to the beam perpendicularly.

So what do you know about cantilevers and statically indeterminate structures?

Do you understand superposition?

Last edited:
Yes i do understand the Method of superposition. its the method i was trying to evaluate the problem with

So what do the equations you are trying to superpose look like?

I got the solution already, Using the Superposition formulas, i did some manupulations, used excel to solve a polynomial and cross-checked my Analytical process with FEA software.all is well.
Thank you.

FAQ: Spring Positioning on a Cantilever beam

1. What is spring positioning on a cantilever beam?

Spring positioning on a cantilever beam refers to the process of placing a spring in a specific location or position on a cantilever beam in order to achieve a desired deflection or displacement under a given load.

2. What are the factors that affect spring positioning on a cantilever beam?

The factors that affect spring positioning on a cantilever beam include the stiffness of the spring, the length of the cantilever beam, the type of load applied, and the desired deflection or displacement.

3. How do you determine the optimal spring positioning on a cantilever beam?

The optimal spring positioning on a cantilever beam can be determined by analyzing the load and deflection characteristics of the beam and the spring, and finding the location where the desired deflection or displacement is achieved with the least amount of stress on the beam and the spring.

4. What is the purpose of spring positioning on a cantilever beam?

The purpose of spring positioning on a cantilever beam is to control the deflection or displacement of the beam under a given load. This can be useful in various applications such as in the design of machinery, structures, and other mechanical systems.

5. Can spring positioning on a cantilever beam be adjusted after installation?

Yes, spring positioning on a cantilever beam can be adjusted after installation by changing the location or orientation of the spring. However, this may require additional analysis and calculations to ensure the desired deflection or displacement is still achieved without causing excessive stress on the beam or the spring.

Back