Spring potential energy problem

In summary, the problem involves a block of mass 3.5 kg being dropped from a height of 81 cm onto a spring with a spring constant of 2220 N/m. The goal is to find the maximum distance the spring will compress. Using the equations for potential energy of a spring and gravity, as well as kinetic energy, the equation mg(h+x) = 1/2kx^2 can be solved to determine the length the spring will compress.
dorkymichelle

Homework Statement

A block of mass m = 3.5 kg is dropped from height h = 81 cm onto a spring of spring constant k = 2220 N/m (Fig. 8-37). Find the maximum distance the spring is compressed.

Homework Equations

Pe(spring) = 1/2kx2
Pe(gravity)=mgh
Ke = 1/2mv2

The Attempt at a Solution

so far, i got mgh+1/2mvi2 =1/2mvf2 = 1/2kx2

because the energy used to compress the spring is the amount of energy from the end of the drop.
but I don't have initial velocity or final velocity. or can i use 0 as final velocity at the point that the object hits the spring..

Attachments

• fig08_36.gif
    fig08_36.gif
    2.4 KB · Views: 533
Physics news on Phys.org
dorkymichelle said:

Homework Statement

A block of mass m = 3.5 kg is dropped from height h = 81 cm onto a spring of spring constant k = 2220 N/m (Fig. 8-37). Find the maximum distance the spring is compressed.

Homework Equations

Pe(spring) = 1/2kx2
Pe(gravity)=mgh
Ke = 1/2mv2

The Attempt at a Solution

so far, i got mgh+1/2mvi2 =1/2mvf2 + 1/2kx2

because the energy used to compress the spring is the amount of energy from the end of the drop.
but I don't have initial velocity or final velocity. or can i use 0 as final velocity at the point that the object hits the spring..
The block is dropped from rest, and it ends up momentarily at rest when the spring is fully compressed, not when it first hits the spring. You need to change your PE term to account for the extra height due to the spring displacement in its fully compressed position.

so kinetic initial and kinetic final would both be 0
changing my PE(gravity) term to include the compressed spring,
would the equation I need be mg(h+x) = 1/2kx^2 ? and solve for x to be the length the spring compresses?

Yes, exactly.:approve:

I would like to clarify a few things before providing a response. Firstly, it would be helpful to have more context and information about the problem, such as the direction of the block's motion and the orientation of the spring. Additionally, it would be helpful to know if there are any external forces acting on the system, such as air resistance or friction.

Assuming that the block is dropped vertically onto the spring and that there are no external forces, we can use conservation of energy to solve this problem. At the moment the block is dropped, it has potential energy due to gravity, given by mgh. When it reaches the maximum compression of the spring, all of its potential energy will have been converted into elastic potential energy in the spring, given by 1/2kx^2. Therefore, we can set these two energies equal to each other and solve for x, the maximum distance the spring is compressed.

mgh = 1/2kx^2

Solving for x, we get x = √(2mgh/k). Plugging in the given values, we get x = √(2*3.5*9.8*0.81/2220) = 0.18 m. Therefore, the maximum distance the spring is compressed is 0.18 m.

I hope this helps! Just remember to always clarify any missing information and assumptions when solving a problem.

Related to Spring potential energy problem

1. What is spring potential energy?

Spring potential energy is the energy stored in a spring when it is stretched or compressed. It is a form of potential energy that is converted to kinetic energy when the spring is released.

2. How is spring potential energy calculated?

The formula for calculating spring potential energy is E = 1/2kx^2, where E is the spring potential energy, k is the spring constant, and x is the displacement of the spring from its equilibrium position.

3. What factors affect spring potential energy?

The factors that affect spring potential energy include the spring constant, the displacement of the spring, and the mass of the object attached to the spring.

4. How is spring potential energy related to Hooke's law?

Hooke's law states that the force applied to a spring is directly proportional to the displacement of the spring. This means that as the spring is stretched or compressed, its potential energy also increases or decreases according to Hooke's law.

5. Can spring potential energy be converted to other forms of energy?

Yes, spring potential energy can be converted to other forms of energy, such as kinetic energy or thermal energy. When a compressed or stretched spring is released, its potential energy is converted to kinetic energy as the spring moves back to its equilibrium position.