Spring problem: compressed and pushed down with a velocity

In summary: The correct equation is##x(t) = A\; \cos(\omega t) + B\; \sin(\omega t) + vt##.In summary, the conversation discusses the problem of finding the position, velocity, and acceleration of a vertical spring with a mass attached to it. The force constant and period of the spring are calculated, and the solution for the position function without initial velocity is determined. The correct approach for finding the solution with initial velocity is outlined, and the importance of defining a coordinate system is emphasized. The correct equation for the solution with initial velocity is also provided.
ayjakk

Homework Statement

I'm trying to come up with a problem and solve it. As of right now, I have a vertical spring with an equilibrium length of .38 m hanging. A .61 kg mass is attached to the bottom, and the new equilibrium length is 1.05 m.

If the spring is compressed .1 m upwards then pushed down with a velocity of 4.06 m/s, how would you write position as a function of time, as well as velocity and acceleration?

Homework Equations

Force constant: k = F/x = (mg)/x = (.61 kg * 9.81 m/s^1)/(1.05 m - .38 m) = 8.931 N/M

Period: T = 2pi(m/k)^(1/2)
T = tpi(0.61kg/8.931 N/M)^(1/2) = 1.642 s^-1​

w = 2pif
f = 1/T
x(t) = Acos(wt)

The Attempt at a Solution

I solved for x(t) without any initial velocity. I came up with w = 3.826 s^-1, and an equation of x(t) = -.1cos(3.826t)
This may be a dumb question, but would adding the initial velocity just be x(t) = Acos(wt) + vt, where v = 4.06 m/s? What about units? Would it contribute towards angular velocity? Is the -.1 the correct sign for being pushed upwards?

I feel confident taking derivatives, so velocity and acceleration I have no problem with getting. It's just the position function I'd like to clarify first.

Physics news on Phys.org
You have made a slight mistake, the general solution for the free harmonic oscillator is [itex]x(t)=Acos(wt+\phi)[/itex]. The first derivative will be the velocity v(t). From initial conditions x(0), v(0) you can determine A and [itex]\phi[/itex]. No the initial velocity v(0) doesn't affect w.

ayjakk said:
I solved for x(t) without any initial velocity. I came up with w = 3.826 s^-1, and an equation of x(t) = -.1cos(3.826t)
OK, except for that minus sign.

ayjakk said:
This may be a dumb question, but would adding the initial velocity just be x(t) = Acos(wt) + vt, where v = 4.06 m/s? What about units? Would it contribute towards angular velocity?
The correct approach is outlined by Delta2. Start with the basic equation and solve for the new amplitude and phase angle.

ayjakk said:
Is the -.1 the correct sign for being pushed upwards?
I would choose up as positive, making the initial position +.1. (But the initial velocity is down, and thus negative.)

Re relevant equations: that's relevant equations, not to be mixed up with things you bring up in attempt at solution.

Re period: that has the dimension of time, not of time-1

Re solution without initial velocity: define a coordinate system first. If you let the x-axis point downwards and place the origin at the steady state equilibrium point (0.95 m spring length), then yes, -0.1 is the starting postion.

Living upside down is tiring. I advise strongly to let the position axis point upwards. Your choice.

Re solution without initial velocity: ##x(t) = -0.1\; \cos(\omega t)## is correct. You get the velocity as a function of time by differentiating.

Re solution with initial velocity: you go back to the general solution ##x(t) = A\; \cos(\omega t + B)## and fill in the initial conditions for ##x(0)## and ##{dx\over dt}(0)##.

Re
ayjakk said:
would adding the initial velocity just be x(t) = Acos(wt) + vt
You can not do this: x = vt only applies when ## a = {d^2x\over dt^2} = 0## all the time. That is definitely not the case here !

Related to Spring problem: compressed and pushed down with a velocity

1. How does the initial velocity of a compressed spring affect its motion?

The initial velocity of a compressed spring will determine the amplitude and frequency of its oscillation. A higher initial velocity will result in a larger amplitude and shorter period of oscillation.

2. What is the equation for the motion of a compressed spring?

The equation for the motion of a compressed spring is x(t) = A*cos(ωt+ϕ), where A is the amplitude, ω is the angular frequency, and ϕ is the phase angle.

3. How does the mass of the object attached to the spring affect its motion?

The mass of the object attached to the spring will affect the period of oscillation. A heavier mass will result in a longer period of oscillation, while a lighter mass will result in a shorter period of oscillation.

4. How does the spring constant affect the motion of a compressed spring?

The spring constant, k, is a measure of the stiffness of the spring. A higher spring constant will result in a faster oscillation and a shorter period, while a lower spring constant will result in a slower oscillation and a longer period.

5. What happens to the energy of a compressed spring when it is pushed down with a velocity?

When a compressed spring is pushed down with a velocity, the energy is converted from potential energy to kinetic energy. As the spring oscillates, the energy will continually convert between potential and kinetic until it eventually dissipates due to friction or other external forces.