Sprinting Question Involving Constant Acceleration

In summary: In the end you will get two equations with two unknowns. You must solve them. Maximum velocity is calculated by vmax=a*t. The values of acceleration, duration of acceleration and maximum velocity will be consistent with the given assumptions. In summary, the world record for the 100m dash is 9.58s and for the 60m dash it is 6.38s. Assuming a constant acceleration up to a maximum velocity maintained for the rest of the race, the acceleration for both sprinters is the same. The duration of this acceleration can be found by solving two equations with two unknowns, using the displacement formula and the given times for each race. The maximum velocity achieved by this acceleration can be calculated using vmax=a*t
Emethyst

Homework Statement

The world record for the 100m dash is 9.58s, and for the 60m dash it is 6.38s. Assume a sprinter accelerates at a constant rate up to a maximum velocity that is maintained for the rest of the race, no matter how long it is.

a) Find the acceleration (both sprinters will have the same acceleration)
b) Find the duration of this acceleration
c) Find the maximum velocity achieved by this acceleration
d) The world record for the 200m dash is 19.19s, while for the 1000m run it is 131.96s. Are these times consistent with the assumptions made?

Homework Equations

Kinematic equations

The Attempt at a Solution

This question is really stumping me. I know that I have to link the two values given to find the acceleration in part a, and thus everything else asked for, but I'm not sure how to go about doing this. My guess was to first find the each of the accelerations for the values given and then average them, but this does not seem to be the right way to solve for it. If anyone can point me in the right direction here it would be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
Emethyst said:

Homework Statement

The world record for the 100m dash is 9.58s, and for the 60m dash it is 6.38s. Assume a sprinter accelerates at a constant rate up to a maximum velocity that is maintained for the rest of the race, no matter how long it is.

a) Find the acceleration (both sprinters will have the same acceleration)
b) Find the duration of this acceleration
c) Find the maximum velocity achieved by this acceleration
d) The world record for the 200m dash is 19.19s, while for the 1000m run it is 131.96s. Are these times consistent with the assumptions made?

Homework Equations

Kinematic equations

The Attempt at a Solution

This question is really stumping me. I know that I have to link the two values given to find the acceleration in part a, and thus everything else asked for, but I'm not sure how to go about doing this. My guess was to first find the each of the accelerations for the values given and then average them, but this does not seem to be the right way to solve for it. If anyone can point me in the right direction here it would be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance.
Hy. I would like to point you on this key sentence
Assume a sprinter accelerates at a constant rate up to a maximum velocity that is maintained for the rest of the race
O.K. So, each displacement consists of 2 time intervals. First interval is when they accelerate, and the second one is when they run with constant speed.
Your displacement formula would be s=1/2*a*t2+vmax*t1
This formula you must use for 100 m and for 60 m race. You know that vmax=a*t. Time t is equal for both races, and time t1 will be different. Total time which is given for both races is equal to t+t1.

I would approach this question by first identifying the variables given and their relationship to each other. The two times provided (9.58s for 100m and 6.38s for 60m) represent the time it takes for the sprinters to cover the respective distances. We can use the kinematic equation d = v0t + 1/2at^2 (where d is distance, v0 is initial velocity, a is acceleration, and t is time) to find the acceleration for each sprinter.

For the 100m dash, we can set d = 100m and t = 9.58s. Assuming that the initial velocity is 0 (since the sprinter starts from a stationary position), we can solve for a:

100m = 0 + 1/2a(9.58s)^2
a = 4.21 m/s^2

Similarly, for the 60m dash, we can set d = 60m and t = 6.38s, and solve for a:

60m = 0 + 1/2a(6.38s)^2
a = 5.93 m/s^2

Since both sprinters are assumed to have the same acceleration, we can take the average of these two values to find the value of a:

(a for 100m + a for 60m) / 2 = (4.21 + 5.93) / 2 = 5.07 m/s^2

This is the acceleration that both sprinters would have in order to achieve their respective world records.

For part b, we can use the kinematic equation v = v0 + at (where v is final velocity, v0 is initial velocity, a is acceleration, and t is time) to find the duration of this acceleration. We know that the final velocity is the maximum velocity achieved, and the initial velocity is 0. So we can set v = maximum velocity and v0 = 0, and solve for t:

maximum velocity = 0 + 5.07 m/s^2 * t
t = maximum velocity / 5.07 m/s^2

For part c, we can simply substitute the value of t we found in part b into the same equation, this time solving for the maximum velocity:

maximum velocity = 5.07 m/s^2 * (maximum

Related to Sprinting Question Involving Constant Acceleration

What is constant acceleration?

Constant acceleration is the change in velocity of an object over time that remains constant. This means that the object's speed increases or decreases at a steady rate.

How is constant acceleration measured?

Constant acceleration can be measured using the formula a = (vf - vi) / t, where a is acceleration, vf is final velocity, vi is initial velocity, and t is time.

What is the difference between constant acceleration and average acceleration?

Constant acceleration is the acceleration that remains the same throughout the entire motion, while average acceleration is the total change in velocity over the total time taken. Average acceleration can change throughout the motion, whereas constant acceleration remains the same.

How does constant acceleration affect sprinting?

Constant acceleration is an important factor in sprinting as it determines how quickly an athlete can increase their speed. The faster the acceleration, the faster the sprinter can reach their top speed. Additionally, maintaining a constant acceleration throughout the sprint can lead to a faster overall time.

What are some real-life examples of constant acceleration?

Some real-life examples of constant acceleration include a car accelerating on a straight road, a rollercoaster going down a hill, and a person jumping off a diving board. In all these cases, the acceleration remains constant and leads to a change in velocity over time.