SQL query for Records containing a Character

• Thread starter WWGD
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Sql
In summary, when searching for a specific character in a field, you can use the wildcard % to indicate any number of characters before, after, or in between the desired character. This allows you to cover all possible cases and retrieve the desired records.
WWGD
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Hi All,
I am trying to do an SQL query for records containing a certain character, say, c , in 'field'

I think if the character c is at the beginning, we use :

Select ... from table
where field like 'c % ' , where % is a wildcard.

Similar for cases where the character is at the end, i.e., we would use :

Select ... from table
where field like '% c '.

But if the character c was somewhere in the middle , would we use :

Select ... from table
where field like '% c % ' ?

EDIT: I assume the last choice, '% c % ' covers all cases, since % may stand for an empty string.
Is this correct?
Thanks.

Last edited:
Technology news on Phys.org
Yes, everything you have said is correct.

Likes WWGD

Related to SQL query for Records containing a Character

What is an SQL query for records containing a specific character?

In SQL, the LIKE operator can be used to search for records containing a specific character. The query would look like this: SELECT * FROM table_name WHERE column_name LIKE '%character%'. The % symbols act as wildcards, allowing for any number of characters before and after the specified character.

Can an SQL query search for multiple characters in a record?

Yes, the LIKE operator can also be used to search for multiple characters in a record. For example, SELECT * FROM table_name WHERE column_name LIKE '%abc%' would return all records containing the characters "abc" in the specified column.

How do I search for a specific character in a specific position within a record?

The LIKE operator can be combined with the _ symbol to search for a specific character in a specific position. For example, SELECT * FROM table_name WHERE column_name LIKE 'a__b' would return all records where the specified column starts with "a" and ends with "b", with two characters in between.

Can an SQL query search for records containing a specific character regardless of capitalization?

Yes, the LIKE operator is case-insensitive, meaning it will search for records containing the specified character regardless of capitalization. To make the query case-sensitive, the BINARY keyword can be added after the LIKE operator.

Are there any other SQL operators that can be used to search for records containing a specific character?

Yes, the REGEXP operator can also be used to search for records containing a specific character or pattern. The syntax is SELECT * FROM table_name WHERE column_name REGEXP 'character|pattern', where | acts as an "or" operator and pattern can include regular expressions.