Square root within a square root

In summary, the conversation discussed a mathematical problem involving simplifying a square root expression. The person was confused about the answer and asked for clarification. Another person explained that the problem can be solved using the Distributive property, and pointed out that the problem did not involve a square root within a square root as the title suggested. The conversation was then redirected to the appropriate forum for help with the problem.
Ross MC
Hoping someone can push me in the right direction with this one. Plume snookered.

It's to simplify:
2√3(3+√3)

Guessing first calculate (a^2 - b^2*c) in the square, though the 2 is throwing this an I'm not sure how the answer is 6√3 + 6, an not 18√3 ?

Physics news on Phys.org
Ross MC said:
Hoping someone can push me in the right direction with this one. Plume snookered.

It's to simplify:
2√3(3+√3)

Guessing first calculate (a^2 - b^2*c) in the square, though the 2 is throwing this an I'm not sure how the answer is 6√3 + 6, an not 18√3 ?

It's just the Distributive property:
[itex](2)(\sqrt{3})(3 + \sqrt{3})[/itex]
[itex](2)(\sqrt{3})(3 ) + (2)(\sqrt{3})(\sqrt{3})[/itex]
[itex](2)(3 )(\sqrt{3}) + (2)(\sqrt{3})(\sqrt{3})[/itex]

Thanks coolul007, haven't really been shown the Distributive way of working with squares like that, has helped shed some light on another tricky simplication.

The title said 'square root within a square root', which implies you meant 2√(3(3+√3)), but the answer you say is correct matches (2√3)(3+√3).

There is no square root within a square root as your title suggested :-p

Unless you meant that 2√3(3+√3) as [tex]2\sqrt{3(3+\sqrt{3})}[/tex] but that doesn't follow from the required answer, so yep, this problem can simply be solved with the distributive property.

edit: beaten to it.

Mod note: Moving this thread to the Precalculus section under Homework & Coursework, which is where the OP should have started this thread.

FAQ: Square root within a square root

1. What is a square root within a square root?

A square root within a square root is a mathematical expression that involves taking the square root of a number multiple times. For example, √(√9) means taking the square root of 9 first, which is 3, and then taking the square root of 3, resulting in √3.

2. How do you simplify a square root within a square root?

To simplify a square root within a square root, you can use the property of square roots that states √(ab) = √a * √b. This means that you can simplify √(√a) to √a. For example, √(√9) can be simplified to √9, which is equal to 3.

3. Can you have a negative number within a square root within a square root?

Yes, you can have a negative number within a square root within a square root. However, the result will always be a complex number, which is a combination of a real number and an imaginary number. For example, √(√-9) equals √-3i, where i is the imaginary unit.

4. How is a square root within a square root used in real life?

A square root within a square root is used in various fields of science and engineering. It is commonly used in physics and electrical engineering to calculate the voltage or current in a circuit with multiple resistors or components. It is also used in geometry to calculate the length of a diagonal line within a square or rectangle.

5. Can a square root within a square root be simplified to a single value?

Yes, a square root within a square root can be simplified to a single value if the expression inside the square root is a perfect square. For example, √(√16) can be simplified to √4, which is equal to 2. However, if the expression inside the square root is not a perfect square, the square root within a square root cannot be simplified further.