Square wire loop moving in a static B field.

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of the magnitude of the current induced in a square loop made of thin wire when it is aligned with and moving perpendicular to an infinite straight cable carrying a current. The person asking the question initially believes that no current can be induced due to the use of Maxwell's equations and the Lorentz force law. However, they later realize that the wire is actually moving perpendicular to the cable, meaning that the magnetic field does change and a current is induced.
Robsta

Homework Statement

[/B]
3. A square loop of area a 2 is formed from a single turn of thin wire of resistance R. The loop is aligned with two sides parallel to an infinite straight thin cable, with its closest side a distance r away, and is given a velocity v in a direction perpendicular to the cable. The cable, loop and direction of motion all lie in the same plane. A current I flows in the cable. Calculate the magnitude of the current induced in the loop.

Homework Equations

I've used a couple of Maxwell's equations and also the Lorentz force law and all lead me towards thinking that no current can be induced. This is wrong.

The Attempt at a Solution

The curl of E for example is the negative time derivative of the B field. Since the B field is static, E has no curl, so the line integral of E around the loop is zero, so there can be no current.

Alternatively from the Lorentz force law, the force on the charges in the two wires perpendicular to the cable will be the same. From symmetry they will cancel out. Thus no current.

Am I using maxwell's equations wrongly? Am I using the Lorentz force equation wrongly?

It seems to me there's no change of magnetic flux through the loop since the b field is constant at a given distance r from the cable.

Physics news on Phys.org
Gah! I've just realized that the wire moves PERPENDICULARLY to the wire. I thought it was moving parallel. This means the magnetic field does change and thankfully a current is induced. All solved

See and this

Related to Square wire loop moving in a static B field.

1. What is a square wire loop?

A square wire loop is a type of electrical circuit that consists of a square-shaped wire that is connected at its ends to form a complete loop.

2. What is a static B field?

A static B field, or magnetic field, is a region of space where a magnetic force can be detected. It is created by moving electric charges and can affect the motion of other electrically charged objects.

3. How does a square wire loop move in a static B field?

When a square wire loop is placed in a static B field, it will experience a force due to the interaction between the magnetic field and the electric current in the wire. This force causes the wire loop to move in a circular motion.

4. What factors affect the motion of a square wire loop in a static B field?

The motion of a square wire loop in a static B field is affected by the strength and direction of the magnetic field, the current flowing through the wire loop, and the size and shape of the wire loop.

5. What are the practical applications of a square wire loop moving in a static B field?

One practical application of a square wire loop moving in a static B field is in the construction of electric motors, where the motion of the wire loop is used to produce rotational motion. It can also be used in generators, where the motion of the wire loop is used to produce electricity.