Squaring both sides of equation and inequality?

• Thread starter ArmanZ
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Inequality
In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of squaring numbers and whether it is possible to square an inequality. It is noted that for an equality, it does not matter what operation is applied to both sides as long as it is the same, but for an inequality, there can be an infinite number of ways the sides can differ. It is also mentioned that squaring an inequality can change the nature of the inequality.
ArmanZ
What is a square of a number? A^2=A*A. If A=B squaring both sides will give A^2=B^2. How I think about squaring is we multiply both sides of A=B by A(we could also do this for B) we get A*A=B*A but A=B so this will result in A*A=B*B.
But if we do this for an inequality, A>B, multiplying both sides by A will yield two scenarios(when A>0 and A<0) A*A>B*A and A*A<B*A in both cases A≠B. So is it possible to square an inequality?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
You've almost answered the question yourself - stick some numbers in as an example and you're there:

Here's an inequality: 3 > -4

Square both sides : 9 > 16 (which is incorrect!)

However, if you try the same with two positive numbers then the inequality remains. So you can't define a rule that says you can square an inequality (without potentially changing the nature of the inequality

Likes ArmanZ
mgkii said:
So you can't define a rule that says you can square an inequality
I think it could be, just for two real numbers ##a,b>0.##
##a>b>0,## then ##a^2>b^2.##
##a<b<0,## then ##a^2>b^2.##

Likes ArmanZ
I think my question is not clear. For example 2>4(both are positive).If we square both sides we get 4>16, which would be correct if we did did not consider the following fact: 4>16⇔2*2>4*4 but how could we get 2*2>4*4 from 2>4 if we have to multiply both sides by different numbers( 2 and 4, 2≠4) which is incorrect in principle. Or am I wrong? Because in equation a=b multiplying both sides by a will yield a*a=b*a but a=b so a*a=b*b, which is a^2=b^2. But in inequality it seems to be different. Thanks for your replies guys.

I'm not totally sure I understand your question so apologies I've advance if this isn't what you asked:

For an equality it doesn't matter what you do to each side (as long as it's the same) as by definition the starting point for that operation is the same. So multiple by 4, square it, add 6 and double it, whatever you do will be the same as the starting point is the same.

For an inequality there's an infinity of ways each side can differ, so unless you put bounds on your function as one of the earlier responders noted, you can't make general observations about the function you apply to each side (square, multiply by 12, etc)

Likes ArmanZ
ArmanZ said:
I think my question is not clear. For example 2>4(both are positive).If we square both sides we get 4>16, which would be correct if we did did not consider the following fact: 4>16⇔2*2>4*4 but how could we get 2*2>4*4 from 2>4 if we have to multiply both sides by different numbers( 2 and 4, 2≠4) which is incorrect in principle. Or am I wrong? Because in equation a=b multiplying both sides by a will yield a*a=b*a but a=b so a*a=b*b, which is a^2=b^2. But in inequality it seems to be different. Thanks for your replies guys.

Consider two positive numbers ##a## and ##b##. If ##a<b##, then we can multiply both sides with ##a## to get ##a^2 < ab##. We can also multiply both sides with ##b## to get ##ab<b^2##. Putting both together gives ##a^2<ab<b^2##, which gives ##a^2<b^2##.

Likes ArmanZ
ArmanZ said:
I think my question is not clear. For example 2>4(both are positive).If we square both sides we get 4>16, which would be correct
No.
You're starting from a statement that is not true -- 2 is NOT larger than 4.
ArmanZ said:
if we did did not consider the following fact: 4>16⇔2*2>4*4 but how could we get 2*2>4*4 from 2>4 if we have to multiply both sides by different numbers( 2 and 4, 2≠4) which is incorrect in principle. Or am I wrong? Because in equation a=b multiplying both sides by a will yield a*a=b*a but a=b so a*a=b*b, which is a^2=b^2. But in inequality it seems to be different. Thanks for your replies guys.

Mark44 said:
No.
You're starting from a statement that is not true -- 2 is NOT larger than 4.
Sorry, I made a careless mistake once again

ArmanZ said:
For everyone who found this discussion, in this comment I was implying 2<4, 4<16⇔2*2<4*4, 2*2<4*4. But anyway, I hope the general idea of this discussion is understood correctly by everyone.

Related to Squaring both sides of equation and inequality?

1. What does it mean to square both sides of an equation or inequality?

When we square both sides of an equation or inequality, we are raising each side to the power of 2. This is done in order to simplify the equation or inequality and make it easier to solve.

2. Why is it important to square both sides of an equation or inequality?

Squaring both sides allows us to eliminate any square roots or fractions in the equation or inequality, making it easier to manipulate and solve. It also helps us to check the validity of our solutions.

3. Can we square both sides of any equation or inequality?

No, we cannot square both sides of an equation or inequality if it contains a variable in the denominator or if the variable is under a radical sign. This is because squaring both sides will result in an extraneous solution.

4. What should we do after squaring both sides of an equation or inequality?

After squaring both sides, we need to solve the resulting equation or inequality. This may involve simplifying further, factoring, or using other algebraic techniques.

5. Are there any special cases where squaring both sides is not necessary?

Yes, in some cases, we can skip squaring both sides and solve the equation or inequality directly. This is usually when the equation or inequality is already in a squared form or when we can use other techniques such as factoring or completing the square.