Srednicki 43.10: Minus Sign Explained

• Thread starter Lapidus
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Srednicki
In summary, Srednicki 43.10 explains the concept of minus sign in quantum mechanics and its role in determining the symmetry of a system. The minus sign arises due to the interchange of identical particles in the wavefunction and can lead to important consequences in quantum mechanics, such as the exclusion principle and the spin-statistics theorem. Understanding the minus sign is crucial for accurately describing and predicting the behavior of particles in quantum systems.
Lapidus
Trivial question...

How exactly does the minus sign arise in eq. 43.10? The sentence below states because the functional derivative goes through one spinor, but I can't see how that works...

book is online here http://www.physics.ucsb.edu/~mark/ms-qft-DRAFT.pdf

equation 43.10 is on pdf page 273

thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
i'll take a shot.

let me argue by analogy, maybe making the rule plausible. suppose i have anticommuting
numbers x,y,h. and I'm given the expression yx and i want to differentiate it with respect to x.

lacking any better choice i form the difference quotient
[tex]\frac{d}{dx}(yx) = \lim_{h \rightarrow 0} \frac{1}{h} ( y(x+h) - yx ) [/tex]
[tex] = \lim_{h \rightarrow 0} \frac{1}{h} yh [/tex]
now because the numbers are anticommuting i can't just cancel h. i have to first swap
yh or h^(-1) and y and then i can cancel.

[tex] = \lim_{h \rightarrow 0}\left( -y \frac{1}{h} h \right)= -y [/tex]

qbert, I thank you very much!

FAQ: Srednicki 43.10: Minus Sign Explained

1. What is Srednicki 43.10?

Srednicki 43.10 is a section in the textbook "Quantum Field Theory" written by Mark Srednicki. It discusses the concept of a minus sign in the equations used in quantum field theory.

2. Why is the minus sign important in quantum field theory?

The minus sign is important because it represents the anti-commutativity of fermionic fields in quantum field theory. This property is necessary for correctly describing the behavior of fermions in physical systems.

3. What is the significance of Srednicki 43.10 in the field of physics?

Srednicki 43.10 is a well-known and frequently cited section in the field of quantum field theory. It provides a clear explanation of the importance of the minus sign in fermionic fields and helps to deepen our understanding of the fundamental concepts in this field.

4. How does Srednicki 43.10 explain the minus sign?

In this section, Srednicki provides a mathematical explanation of the minus sign by using the concept of anticommutators and showing how they relate to the behavior of fermionic fields. He also uses examples and diagrams to illustrate the concept in a more intuitive way.

5. Is Srednicki 43.10 accessible to non-experts?

While this section is written in a technical manner, it can still be understood by those with a basic understanding of quantum field theory. However, some prior knowledge of the subject is recommended to fully grasp the concepts presented in Srednicki 43.10.